Is there a demolitions skill?

LexAmissa

Is there a demolitions skill?

Postby LexAmissa » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:11 pm

I was playing one of the Delphi missions where the characters have access to dynamite, det cord, and blasting caps. But I wasn't able to find a demolitions skill. Is there some kind of a skill check to use explosives?

Spatula

Re: Is there a demolitions skill?

Postby Spatula » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:17 pm

Explosives are in the Heavy Weapons table in the Gear chapter, so presumably they use that skill. I would probably use Heavy Weapons/Mind instead of /Dexterity for those kinds of weapons, though that isn't stated anywhere in the rules I don't think.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:42 pm

LexAmissa wrote:I was playing one of the Delphi missions where the characters have access to dynamite, det cord, and blasting caps. But I wasn't able to find a demolitions skill. Is there some kind of a skill check to use explosives?

Only if it's important.

But no, there's no direct demolitions skill. Heavy weapons or science usually suffice.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:03 am

I believe there has been a profession: demolitionist referenced in one of the adventures somewhere but I don't recall where atm.

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:09 am

For placed, set, and triggered explosives, either by trap, time delay, or remote detonation, I strongly suggest Science...or a relevant Profession.

Thrown explosives with contact, proximity, or preset time fuses (ie. grenades) use Missile Weapons.

Fired, launched, or machine flung explosives ("Light the fuse and release the trigger on the trebuchet!") use Heavy Weapons.

Of course, just because I have used all three types in real life should not influence your choices...the rule of cool should SHINE with explosives in TORG.

jhosmer1

Postby jhosmer1 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:15 am

Storm Knights usually have trouble keeping things from exploding, not the other way around. ;)

Of course, for stopping a bomb from going off, we would use a dramatic skill resolution.

QuarrelBlue

Postby QuarrelBlue » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:28 am

Wasn't there a profession (demolitions) skill on Gears-Explosives section of Core Rulebook?
(I'm personally trying to create a Cyberpapal Resistance Demolition Expert Archetype, but this complex skill requirement makes it difficult...Practically this Archetype needs THREE "tag skills"... Heavy Weapons, Science, and profession (demolitions)!)

jhosmer1

Postby jhosmer1 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:37 am

QuarrelBlue wrote:Wasn't there a profession (demolitions) skill on Gears-Explosives section of Core Rulebook?
(I'm personally trying to create a Cyberpapal Resistance Demolition Expert Archetype, but this complex skill requirement makes it difficult...Practically this Archetype needs THREE "tag skills"... Heavy Weapons, Science, and profession (demolitions)!)

If you want the character to be a combat type, Heavy Weapons would be the tag skill. If they are a support type,Science would be. You don't need profession (demolitions), per Deanna.

TorgHacker wrote:But no, there's no direct demolitions skill. Heavy weapons or science usually suffice.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”