Interesting Things to do, during a duel

Lambert

Interesting Things to do, during a duel

Postby Lambert » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:49 am

Hello everyone,
Just a quick one. I have completed the Andergast/Nostria aventure (New Bonds and ancient Quarrels) and pretty much after the adventure back in Joborn a young Andergastian knight insulted our Lady Blessed one of Rondra and got challenged to a duel, which he gladly accepted.

Now there was much meddling in the running up to the duel, preventing foul play, etc keeping everyone involved but I want to make a duel a rather major event and not just a series of a few dice rolls. In order to do that though I need things for the people to do who are not involved in the fight.

Clearly I have thought of a couple myself. Overhearing how a group of people in the crowd is planning to make sure the Blessed one doesn't leave the field alive, or someone around the edge with a little blade out trying to get into a position where should one of the contestant be shoved he might be able to sneakily get the knife in as they get up. But beyond that I was wondering whether anyone has any good ideas.

Many thanks in advance

bluedragon7

Re: Interesting Things to do, during a duel

Postby bluedragon7 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:35 am

Just to clarify: a normal follower of the twelve gods would not interfere in any duel fought by a blessed one of Rondra.
So to take any action there would need to be something serious behind it ( a blessed one of the nameless god or a demon follower) coercing others to act.
So this could lead to quite some conspiracy hunting

Thrar

Postby Thrar » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:43 pm

bluedragon7 wrote:Just to clarify: a normal follower of the twelve gods would not interfere in any duel fought by a blessed one of Rondra.
So to take any action there would need to be something serious behind it ( a blessed one of the nameless god or a demon follower) coercing others to act.

I'd strongly disagree with that. In my world, a devout follower of the gods, or Rondra in particular, might not interfere unless given strong reasons. Most other random people wouldn't have strong concerns, besides of course not wanting to get caught and punished. Those people are far more concerned with their day to day survival and personal goals than they are with some lofty ideals preached onto them by some Blessed One a few times a year.
Especially Rondra is often pretty far away from the normal life of a peasant or townsperson. If their friend got in trouble with (from their perspective) some pretentious Blessed One from far away who thinks he's better than them, I think many people will choose to stand by their friend.

As for what to do, if this Blessed One has ruffled some feathers I could see some locals wanting to use the opportunity to get even, as you already suggested. Perhaps that's by planning an outright murder, or by something more subtle like sabotaging equipment or distracting the duelist.
Chances are there is also some amount of betting going on, and some of the gamblers may want to take luck in their own hands even if they otherwise don't care about who wins. Given the above, an interesting twist might be if some gamblers are trying to support the Rondrian contrary to their ideals - would the group or the Rondrian be devout enough to step in and stop that, giving away a free advantage for their side?
If everyone is distracted there are probably some cutpurses as well, or maybe an important person is in the audience and the group finds out that someone is out to steal important papers from them, get them injured and out of commission for a while, or even plan an assassination. This could be related or unrelated to the cause of the duel, and even act as a hook for the group's next adventure.

bluedragon7

Postby bluedragon7 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:27 am

For a Blessed one of Rondra a duel is a service to their god, doing anything against them in that situation is like walking into a church, while a service is held, and in front of all audience stab the priest. As a devout follower of that church. In the Middle Ages when the RL Church’s might was highest. And not only do you fully believe in them, their priests regularly demonstrate the powers the gods have given them in Aventuria. Even a scumbag wouldn’t do that in that situation unless we are talking a whole village of godless people in the shadowlands I don’t think this would give the right tone of how people as a group interact with blessed ones.

And a conspiracy is more interesting to uncover than random hate.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TDE)”