Guild Mages & Gambesons

Morgoth

Guild Mages & Gambesons

Postby Morgoth » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:49 am

So according to the Codex Alberycus & Other Rules sidebar on page 365 of the English corebook (2nd printing pdf) it states that Guild Mages can wear Gambesons at most. This implies that all Guild Mages can potentially wear gambsons if they so choose.

However the entry for the Gareth Sword & Staff profession specifically states these mages are allowed to wear Gambesons, implying other Mages cannot.

So which is it? If I have a Guildless Mage, the student of Alrik Dagabor for example, can I have my character wear a Gambeson or not?

Bosper

Re: Guild Mages & Gambesons

Postby Bosper » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:10 am

Cloth armor, Gambeson, Iryan-armor and toadskin are allowed in times of need (the latter does hinder magic though because of metal content). I guess the special case of the sword&staff mage is, that he may wear it as part of his official apparel.

Bosper

Re: Guild Mages & Gambesons

Postby Bosper » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:46 am

P.S.
Just because the topic came up elsewhere.
Encumbrance from armor does not give a penalty on spellcasting. Just on mundane skills. The distinction between mundane skills and spells was lost in translation- the german rules use 2 different terms: Fertigkeiten (including spells&chants) and Talente (excluding spells&chants). Encumbrance just affects "Talente".

Thats why the illustration on page 21 looks so weird in TDE, splitting Skills into Skills,Spells and Liturgical Chants. Thats where the rules split "Fertigkeiten"=Skills into Talents, Spells and Chants

Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”