Support 1st & 3rd party. Fan Run Events

mushy

Support 1st & 3rd party. Fan Run Events

Postby mushy » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:01 pm

Hello, sit down and have an ale with me! *kicks out chair across the table signalling you to sit*

I have some questions about plans for support for the system in the North America specifically(Canada, US, Mexico.)

What is the plan to get people who are unaware of your brand opening your book, and going forward to purchase books.
To have their groups switch from the popular systems already being played at homes, and hobby stores now?

May I suggest something similar to what a lot of RPGs are doing now online, and offering a slimmer, but fully functioning product for free in PDF format on the website? If you can get people trying the game for free I really think this game offers A LOT to attract players to buy books, adventures, maps, miniatures, merch etc.

My first Roleplaying game was The Dark Eye, my sister, and I were living in Austria in the mid-;ate 90s, and she was more fluent than me, but worked as a translator. I was becoming more fluent, but on my visit to a game store to look at board games, miniatures all that jazz I saw it!
'This game, and world mean so much to me. Since playing DnD 3/.5 &5, Warhammer Fantasy, Burning Wheel - while they are great in their own rights the worlds they have just aren't in my heart(My DnD campaigns are often adaptations from my time with TDE.)

When I returned to the US I looked for the dark eye in English there was nothing at the time. I think they released something in 2003? It was unsupported, and my german copy of the rules, and supplements was impossible to persuade people to even bother.

When drakensang/2 came out I got a copy for all my RPG friends, and said SEE this system is amazing look BEHOLD! A world far better than anything DnD has to show(my opinion, but I hold it firmly.)

So to end my rant THIS IS MY SYSTEM! What can we expect in terms of support? I don't expect it to be the next DnD, or Pathfinder here in the states any time soon.

That does not mean the fans/playerbase cannot help!

Those games have weekend events where stories are released to go along with the current story arcs. You can provide materials for people in large cities to run events, promote, etc. I am willing to do such a thing so this system I love gets a decent foothold here.

Please tell us the plans you have for promoting not just through the company, but materials for the fans to promote ourselves that isn't just hey look at this nice system!

twincast

Re: Support 1st & 3rd party. Fan Run Events

Postby twincast » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:07 pm

Regarding a free product with slimmer rules, they do have a quickstart booklet/PDF here. (And they plan to release a "Basic Rules" book in German in 2017 - misleadingly codenamed "DSA Klassik" as it is supposed to be a simpler version of TDE5 and not a dedicated return to TDE1-3 mechanics.)

Aventuria's living history works differently than Living Greyhawk and its (less ambitious) successors, though, and I don't see that changing.

And since I've been meaning to bring the following up for days, anyway, and it fits:

Unlike D&D, which went from loving to hating to loving to hating to loving its fans, TDE (or rather, DSA) has always had a very good relationship with unofficial fanworks of various kinds, many of them actually being more like semi-official. And while I can't think of any recent releases, I do distinctly remember them mentioning once or twice (round about) during TDE5's beta phase that they plan on supporting an OGL-like business this time. (My google-fu is utterly failing me at finding those comments again, though.) Now, their description was kind of vague (it having been way early and stuff), and, of course, plans may have changed, but as far as I could tell it sounded less open than D&D3e's OGL and less restrictive than D&D4e's GSL - in retrospect more or less exactly like D&D5e's OGL which has been both announced and released in the meantime. However, at this point I don't expect such to come out until after all the main Aventuria-wide books have been released (at least in German), i.e. Core Rules, Aventurian Almanac, Aventurian Compendium, Aventurian Armory, Aventurian Bestiary, Aventurian Herbiary, Aventurian Magic I, Aventurian Magic II, Aventurian Gods I, Aventurian Gods II. So... late 2017/early 2018? (And I just realised that even after all those books, TDE5's Aventuria will still be lacking its common "monster" player races, i.e. goblins, orcs, half-orcs and lizardfolk. Unless they plan to put them into the region books covering their respective main home areas, that is, which very well could be the case.)

GTStar

Postby GTStar » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:55 am

Right, but DSA Klassik won't be released in 2017. That will last until all main rule books are released.

Eric USNA

Postby Eric USNA » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:53 am

We're in discussion about organized play and fan support. Most successful organized play that exists grew out of fan projects first. That doesn't mean that we're going to sit back and wait, but it does mean that top-down solutions are not necessarily the best approach.

For right now, please let us know if you are running games at conventions or events! The more we see going on the more ideas we will have of how to help encourage those efforts with publicity and materials.

-Eric

Thrar

Postby Thrar » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:02 am

I will be doing one-shots in Singapore every once in a while at suitable events, the first one next weekend with 5 players. I'd be happy to help build up a community here but I don't have any connections to store owners etc to help organize that.

If your privacy policy allows, could you let me know if there are any other backers from Singapore or Malaysia?

Eric USNA

Postby Eric USNA » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:41 pm

I can say generally that there were a couple other backers from Singapore. My best suggestion is to also post in the Players Seeking Players and Conventions and Events forums here. When I see things coming up, I can also try to spread the love on some of our social media to make it more likely that people will catch it.

Thrar

Postby Thrar » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:05 am

Would it make sense to mention the forum again, perhaps a bit more prominently, in the next Kickstarter update? I looked at the last few updates and it was only mentioned once, at the bottom of the most recent update.

Of course I don't know what your player engagement strategy is, but I'm wondering if there's a way to convert a larger portion of the KS backers into active community members. Currently only about 5% (70 out of 1600) signed up for the forum, while the remaining 95% are left more or less in isolation. I think getting up the forum participation to, say, 25% of backers would be a big step forward for the community to establish itself.

As a random suggestion, if that's in line with your community goals, why not offer a small exclusive incentive that forum members can download after they sign up? This could be something simple like e.g. a small set of desktop wallpapers that I assume would be fairly easy to get from the German team. If this was advertised in the next KS update, it would give those who haven't looked at the forums an incentive to come take a look and maybe become active community members.

GTStar

Postby GTStar » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:49 am

I would second this.

Let's bring more life up in here! :)

Eric USNA

Postby Eric USNA » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:03 am

Not a bad idea. I'll see if I can get something exclusive or at least early for forum members.

-Eric

Return to “Newcomer Introduction and FAQ (TDE)”