Greetings From Ottawa, Ontario

JohnK

Greetings From Ottawa, Ontario

Postby JohnK » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:24 pm

Hullo, there,

My name is John Kahane, I'm a former translator with the government here, and a long-time roleplayer (more than 40 years worth). I'm a relative latecomer to The Dark Eye, having picked up a ton of stuff for the game at GenCon 2017. I had heard of the game during the early KS days, but missed out on the main rulebook KS due to lack of funds, and didn't fund the other Kickstarters much to my chagrin. (I missed out on getting in on the Warring Kingdoms KS late backer as I was returning from Indy on that day, and didn't get to a computer in time. *sigh*

The Dark Eye looks like the fantasy roleplaying game that I've been looking for since I stopped running the old SPI DRAGONQUEST RPG in late 1993 or so. I've been bouncing around with a few fantasy roleplaying games since then, but with this rpg, I think I've found a new home. I've only scratched the surface of the main rulebook so far, but I've got a few ideas from what I've read, and am looking forward to running it.

In the meantime, I hope to converse with folks here about the game, and look forward to learning what I can about the game and contributing some material to the English The Dark Eye community.

Thanks for letting me in! :)
=====
"They're High Lords, for God's sake! You can't just walk up to one and say, "How you doing? Feel like dying now?" you know!" - Abraham Horowitz, priest

JohnK
e-mail: johnk100@sympatico.ca
blog: http://jkahane.livejournal.com

Bosper

Re: Greetings From Ottawa, Ontario

Postby Bosper » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:46 pm

Hi John,
welcome to Aventuria . I hope that the game will prove to be what you are looking for. It defenitely is, was and will be my RPG Home, i might look into some other games here and there, but TDE always is what i want to get back into.
So if i can help out with rules, lore or some experience in running the game, just let me know.

JohnK

Postby JohnK » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:58 pm

Hullo, Bosper,

Bosper wrote:Hi John,
welcome to Aventuria .

Thank you... :) So, what country do we happen to have met in? :)

Bosper wrote:I hope that the game will prove to be what you are looking for. It defenitely is, was and will be my RPG Home, i might look into some other games here and there, but TDE always is what i want to get back into.

Oh, I think it is. This is the game I've been waiting some 15+ or so years to run, but didn't have the grasp of German to run the game in its native language. The Ulisses Spiele US folks have done a great job bringing the game to the English market, and I'm looking forward to diving into the game word with both hands ahead of me! :)

Bosper wrote:So if i can help out with rules, lore or some experience in running the game, just let me know.

LOL! Oh, I will definitely have some questions about rules, lore, and other peoples' experience, I suspect! :)

I've started a thread in the Tangents folder here asking for first-time TDE GM advice, but will ask you another question right here... Is there an errata for the English edition of the Core Rulebook? :)
=====
"They're High Lords, for God's sake! You can't just walk up to one and say, "How you doing? Feel like dying now?" you know!" - Abraham Horowitz, priest

JohnK

Quixotic

Postby Quixotic » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:20 pm

Hello JohnK,

I'm JohnT, also from Ottawa. I've managed to pick up the PDFs for the Adventuria and Waring Kingdoms but this edition is the first I've seen and I am unfamiliar with the history and direction the world of Dere has taken over the years.

My father was posted to Germany from 1983 to 1987 so my German is rusty but possible with a dictionary. The game played at the time was D&D Basic. I look forward to Organized play and perhaps we can gather enough players to run a game under it.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:58 am

JohnK wrote:Hullo, Bosper,

welcome to Aventuria .

Well i myself reside in Bochum, Germany. When it comes to Dere my parties are spread all around the edges, deep steaming souths (colonizing the new continent of uthuria ,great campaign), icy north (being thorwalian pirates) and chilly but a bit more civilised east (playing the new theatre knights campaign)

JohnK

Postby JohnK » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:59 am

Hullo, Quixotic,

Quixotic wrote:Hello JohnK,
I'm JohnT, also from Ottawa.

Oh, that's just neat! :) Another [o]TDE[/i] gamer in Ottawa. Where are you? I'm over at Hunt Club and Conroy.

Quixotic wrote:I've managed to pick up the PDFs for the Adventuria and Waring Kingdoms but this edition is the first I've seen and I am unfamiliar with the history and direction the world of Dere has taken over the years.

I know a little bit about the history of Dere over the years, but I can't and won't deal with that when starting my TDE campaign now with the English version. I have to deal with the game world as it is in the rulebook, but may start my campaign a bit earlier, since I see that most of the Heroic Works scenarios (I've had four of them printed at Staples) are set a couple of years earlier.

I missed being a latecomer to the Warring Kingdoms KS because I'd just gotten back from Indy, but I'm hoping most of the stuff for that, if not all, including the HW scenarios are made available to folks like me, even if it's just PDF. I can get those printed as well. I did order some stuff on the USNA website, but the shipping just about killed me. Eeek!

Quixotic wrote:My father was posted to Germany from 1983 to 1987 so my German is rusty but possible with a dictionary. The game played at the time was D&D Basic. I look forward to Organized play and perhaps we can gather enough players to run a game under it.

I'm actually considering running the game at CanGames 2018 here in Ottawa in May, but we'll see how it shapes up over the next few months. I've actually got three gaming groups (Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday) that will be getting into TDE after I finish running the CORIOLIS scenario I've got the players involved with right now. Looking forward to it.
=====

JohnK

JohnK

Postby JohnK » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:03 pm

Hullo, Bosper,

Bosper wrote:
JohnK wrote:
welcome to Aventuria .

Well i myself reside in Bochum, Germany. When it comes to Dere my parties are spread all around the edges, deep steaming souths (colonizing the new continent of uthuria ,great campaign), icy north (being thorwalian pirates) and chilly but a bit more civilised east (playing the new theatre knights campaign)

Do I rightly assume that you're running the German version of the game? v4 or 4.1, I think it's called, or are you running the v5 material?

I'm looking forward to finding out about Uthuria, but that game with Thorwalian pirates sounds interesting. I only have the first part of the Theatre Knights series, but haven't looked at it yet. The adventure that I wanted to get hold of was the Justice one, the first one, whose name I can't remember properly. Sounds like it was a good intro to the game, but it's not available in any format.

So how about we say that we're meeting in the middle? :)
=====

JohnK

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm

Greetings to the Twelve John. Welcome to Aventuria. Hope that you'll have as much fun as we all do ;)
Feel free to ask anything you want to know. Our little community is very friendly and eager to help out :)
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

JohnK

Postby JohnK » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:48 pm

Hullo, Madbeard,

MadBeard wrote:Greetings to the Twelve John. Welcome to Aventuria. Hope that you'll have as much fun as we all do ;)

Thanks, Madbeard. Nice to be welcome to Aventuria as I have been.

MadBeard wrote:Feel free to ask anything you want to know. Our little community is very friendly and eager to help out :)

Oh, I'm sure I'll have a few questions here and there, and to be honest, things are already starting to gel in my mind in this regard.
=====

JohnK

Morgoth Feuerklinge

Postby Morgoth Feuerklinge » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:13 am

better late than never :). Many greetings from Germany. I hope you like the game just as much as the rest of the people here in the forum. I currently play the 4.1 ruleset of TDE in the german version. We are at the moment in 1027 BF and have a lot of adventures in front of us. I'm the gamemaster and are going to start a longer campaign about a treasure hunt which ends the adventure Bahamuts Ruf (Splitterdämmerung).
Please excuse my bad English, I'm a beginner.

TDE since: 1998
Current TDE rule set: 4.1
Played adventures: 55

Return to “Newcomer Introduction and FAQ (TDE)”