Magical Analysis

jabbasaccount

Magical Analysis

Postby jabbasaccount » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:04 pm

Hi,

I am slightly confused by the description of magical analysis on page 268 and 269 of the core rules.

In particular, it seems to me that the rules say that if I don't use the spell Analyze Arcane Structure, then I can make the Magical Lore check (provided I have some clairvoyance spell or the SA, or liturgical chants) and get a QL that is not limited by the spell's QL. However, if I use Analyze Arcane Structure I can only achieve the lower of the two QLs of the spell and the skill check.

That seems odd though since the spell Analyze then seems useless.

Please correct me since I must be wrong,
Jasper

tempest13

Re: Magical Analysis

Postby tempest13 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:44 pm

If you do not have a spell and only have the Analyst Special Ability you can ONLY get a maximum QL of 1. Some spells give you a bonus to the QL you get from casting the spell ( a boost for being more powerful than the base spells). Analyst Special Ability gives a +1 if used in conjunction with a cast clairvoyance or liturgical chant that is made to detect or analysis magic.

The confusion is that in the 4th bulletpoint they are referring to the spell Analyze Arcane Structure and not the Special Ability Analyst

Analyst is the Special Ability
Analyze is the Spell Analyze Arcane Structure.

You cast the spell Analyze Arcane Structure.
You then make a Magic Lore check which can only have a maximum QL equal to the QL you garnered from the spell +1 for Analyst (if you have it).

Hope this helps clear it up. I was confused the first time I read it as well.

jabbasaccount

Postby jabbasaccount » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:06 pm

Thanks for the quick answer, it does clear it up.

In the second bullet point it says that even without any claivoryance spells/liturgical chants, the Analyst SA "grants" a QL of 1 in the analysis. Does that mean in that case, that no check is required? I guess my confusion in this case is: "grants" as in "guarantees" or as in "allows".

Thanks again.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:51 am

It allows. You still have to do a Magic Lore check for every analysis.

jabbasaccount

Postby jabbasaccount » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:01 pm

Thanks for the clarification.

Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”