Traps and Poisons

Gavril

Traps and Poisons

Postby Gavril » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:18 pm

Detecting traps and counteracting poisons are pretty well handled in the Compendium. However can't find details on crafting traps, and brewing poisons is ambiguous at best. I'm lumping these two together under "when counteracting something is clear but making the thing to be counteracted isn't".

First traps: traps are clearly manufactured items and should have a special application for them. If there is, I can't find it. I would expect this to be something along the lines of: Trap Making, requires Open Locks 4, Clothworking/Metalworking/Earthencraft/Woodworking 4, This ability gives the Create Trap application to the appropriate craft skill. The user can add appropriate traps to another object for 12 points (comparable to weaponsmith). Does that sound right or am I reinventing the wheel. If I am missing an existing rule, where is it in English released rulebooks?

Poisons: Identifying and gathering poisonous plants and animal venoms is handled under Plantlore and Animallore respectively. However this doesn't expressly deal with refining the poisons for use. Raw venoms and toxic plants really aren't all that useful. This one is ambiguous in my mind as it could be argued that all refined poisons fall under Alchemy, that's used for analysing any poison after all and creating and counteracting alchemical poisons. However needing alchemy to refine normal poisons seems extreme. I would expect a special application like "Brew Poison, Requires Animallore/Earthencraft/Plantlore 4, Grants the Brew Poison application to the appropriate skill, 8-10 points maybe?" Individual poisons then need the trade secret, which I would expect would be the same as for treating the poison. But like I say, it's ambiguous as to whether ALL poison refining is alchemy or not. Am I missing a rule somewhere? Is this something that slipped through in the translation to English?

As an example: What skills and abilities are in play to have a locksmith that crafts a lock for a small box that includes a small poison needle, plus poison, if someone tries to open it improperly?

Thanks for any help!

Bosper

Re: Traps and Poisons

Postby Bosper » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:05 am

Poisons are made with alchemy, if you know the recipe (trade secret bought with AP) you can manufacture the poison from its ingredients. Finding this ingredients can use plant lore and animal lore + the milk poison special ability.

Traps are built with mechanics or open locks , primitive traps dont need extra knowledge, complex traps again are trade secrets. each poison or trap has a complexity that gives the difficulty to craft them (For example Fear inducing poison cost 4 AP and is brewed via alchemy -2)
Disarm and Re-Arm are special abilities to re-use traps.

Magic II+III and Compendium II expand on these parts, the basics for poison creation are in the core rules and bestiary

Tenushath

Postby Tenushath » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:26 pm

Magic III?

Did I miss a launch?

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:58 pm

Magic III releases in octobre or november.

Tenushath

Postby Tenushath » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:09 pm

Awesome! Any idea what's in it?

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:04 am

Summoning (Elementals, Demons, Chimeras, Undead)
Borbaradianism
Demonic Pacts
Tribal Spellcasters and Animists (Gjalskerland Animal Warrior, Ferkina Possessed, Nivesian Wolfchild, Moha Spirit Warrior, Fjarning Harigastur-smith, Trollpeaker Animist)
Druids, Geodes, Summoning Mages, Norbad Zibilja
Time-Magic, New Traditional Artifacts, Demons and Elementals

Tenushath

Postby Tenushath » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:14 pm

Geodes are the Dwarves right! Awesome. Also love more summoning Magic. I'm having a blast with animal transformations from Magic II. My group has been interacting with a mage who transforms her staff into a seagull. One of the PCs is so close to convincing her to share his secret. With the new Havena stuff, can't wait to make a Blessed One of Efferd with that ceremony to become a dolphin for QL x 3 hours.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:58 pm

Yes Geodes are the Spellcasting Dwarves that taught the humans how to be a druid. And my favourite casters in TDE.

Morgoth

Postby Morgoth » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:53 pm

What's in Compendium II? More fighting styles I hope

And has there been an Armory II? (I LOVE Armory I btw)

Tenushath

Postby Tenushath » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:29 pm

Compendium II just came out a few weeks ago during RatCon. It includes:

A lot on Alchemical Poisons
Diseases and illnesses
Focus rules for Panic
Training Rules for animals, including Elephants!
More of social interactions including initiating romance, etc.
Libraries and Books
Lifestyle rules
Building houses, etc
Contacts
A bunch of new special abilities
career focused abilities- think boot maker, baker, etc
Expanded stuff of crits and fumbles
New professions - Apothecary, Assassin, Bather (not a prostitute), Courier, Trapper, Butcher (his picture is hilarious), Knight of Gareth, Ruler, Lumberjack, A fighter who uses bladed fans (a new CT), Caravan Leader, Clerk, Militia Member, Lanisto(works in gladiator school), a Spy-type (Logenmitglied), Mawdli (religiouss.civic leader), Patron, a couple of sword types, Prospector, Robber, Spelunker? (Sappeurin), Barmaid, Brawler, Actress, Smuggler, Scribe, Writer/Author, Amazon?(Seekriegerin), Dandy, Pickpocket, Tattoo Artist, Throwal Knight, Drover (long distance shepherd), Carpenter, Maid

Lots of good stuff!

Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”