Errata Correction

tempest13

Errata Correction

Postby tempest13 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:28 pm

I would like to see a complete errata change log for the books. This includes the Core rules 1.0 to 2.0. Currently there are many changes in 2.0 that have never been documented. See Blinding Flash spell for an example.

Also I noticed that the Warring Kingdoms Equipment book in physical form had the left over German text for the boar spear properly translated. To the best of my knowledge the pdf has never been updated on Drive thru rpg. Can someone look into making sure that the corrected manuscript is uploaded please.

Gavril

Re: Errata Correction

Postby Gavril » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:00 pm

Warring Kingdoms just drops the ranks from Stealth for the Serpent Witch and the pdf has also not been updated since the initial release. An errata file would be REALLY useful.

{EDIT}
Adding insult to injury, the AP cost looks to be badly off. I show 20 AP for Special Abilities, 163 AP for skills, 4 AP for Combat Techniques and 108 AP for spells, for a total allocation of 295 AP in a 351 AP package. OK, Stealth isn't included and is a Cost C item, but there is no way a package contains a skill at level 14 for starting experienced adventurers!

It's possible I miscalculated the spells cost. I used to the ranks+1 to activate them and the Improvement chart. Skills don't require Activation, if they did, that would cost 44 AP and leave 13 AP (or 12 if the cantrip was seen as needing activation) behind, for a Stealth 2 (plus Activation). Right now, that looks like the most likely problem. Can someone double check my math and see if they can tell me what I am doing wrong? If the packages are not priced right, that's a major hassle.

Windjammer

Postby Windjammer » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:09 pm

Aventuria Compendium, p. 226:

Just a story, but the translator messed it up in several places. Couple of examples (all from text's left hand column):

Line 8: add "Was the little calf perhaps drawn in by the small statue's power?"
Line 15: delete "He missed".
Line 17: replace "had joined" with "would ever travel alongside"
Line 19: replace "beautiful" with "genuine"

So, who's this guy who translates "echt" [genuine] as beautiful, and skips entire sentences (line 8), and adds things to the original (line 15)? I hope Ulisses invests in proof reading before working with this person ever again.

Edit. It gets better as we go on! When a turn of phrase is too difficult to parse? Just make up your own! In place of our protagonist getting "more certain" that his feelings for Quisria originated from "a desire permeating his body, a desire Rahja would have approved of" (ein rahjagefaelliges Verlangen ihn durchstroemte; picking up the reference to Rahja a paragraph earlier), we get "the more certain [?] he became that she was the one for him."

"Leaving Celissa had been difficult enough." It had? Not in the original, where Finwaen and Celissa leave the other adventurers in Garetia before going separate ways.

Quisira does a ton of stuff, such as inviting the adenturers to her country estate. Not in the translation, which skips a half paragraph.
On the upside, we learn that Quisira, upon her return, "was smirking but obviously glad to see him." I'd have never guessed, given the German (which has no such line).

At the end, Finwaen says something "without waiting for Celissa to answer. His heart swelled with joyful anticipation." None of that is in the German, which only says: "he was filled with conviction and joyous anticipation [of the adventures to come]."

So, what explains this? I was first inclined to go for a cruel joke (underpaid translator phoning it in, inserting ludicrous things because he knows no one will do quality control), but then was reminded to never attribute to malice what can be explained by reference to incompetence.

It's pretty crazy, considering I bought the leather bound version of the book (black leather). The sheer production cost is through the roof - but the publisher couldn't be convinced to have this text be proof read by a person fluent in German?

Thrar

Postby Thrar » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:22 am

As far as I know the translations are done by a professional translator who however has German as his native language rather than English. According to the credits the Compendium was translated by Eduard Lerperger, the person I was thinking of.

If that's accurate and the translation wasn't outsourced partially or wholly to someone uncredited, I'm guessing this might be a stylistic choice by the translator, even if it's taking more liberties than one might expect in a translation.

The issues you point out seem to be mainly deviations from the original that won't be apparent to someone who doesn't have access to both versions. Is that the main problem from your point of view, or are you seeing inconsistencies within the translation itself?

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:06 am

Gavril wrote:Warring Kingdoms just drops the ranks from Stealth for the Serpent Witch and the pdf has also not been updated since the initial release. An errata file would be REALLY useful.

{EDIT}
Adding insult to injury, the AP cost looks to be badly off. I show 20 AP for Special Abilities, 163 AP for skills, 4 AP for Combat Techniques and 108 AP for spells, for a total allocation of 295 AP in a 351 AP package. OK, Stealth isn't included and is a Cost C item, but there is no way a package contains a skill at level 14 for starting experienced adventurers!

It's possible I miscalculated the spells cost. I used to the ranks+1 to activate them and the Improvement chart. Skills don't require Activation, if they did, that would cost 44 AP and leave 13 AP (or 12 if the cantrip was seen as needing activation) behind, for a Stealth 2 (plus Activation). Right now, that looks like the most likely problem. Can someone double check my math and see if they can tell me what I am doing wrong? If the packages are not priced right, that's a major hassle.

Serpent Witch:
Flying Salve 15, Familiar 20 , 10 AP in curses, 10 AP languages , thats 55 in special abilities.

Windjammer

Postby Windjammer » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:37 pm

Thrar wrote:As far as I know the translations are done by a professional translator who however has German as his native language rather than English. According to the credits the Compendium was translated by Eduard Lerperger, the person I was thinking of.

If that's accurate and the translation wasn't outsourced partially or wholly to someone uncredited, I'm guessing this might be a stylistic choice by the translator, even if it's taking more liberties than one might expect in a translation.

The issues you point out seem to be mainly deviations from the original that won't be apparent to someone who doesn't have access to both versions. Is that the main problem from your point of view, or are you seeing inconsistencies within the translation itself?

This is a very interesting response. By definition, the deviations will not be apparent to monolingual costumers who must trust the translator to give them every textual portion in the original.

The main point I'm seeing is that the translator here (1) added stuff that renders the characters in the story inconsistent with their original (see: smirking [very negative word], or prematurely leaving instead of sticking around), (2) failing to translate complete portions of text (sentences and semi-paragraphs).

From a legal perspective, (1) is likely not actionable, but (2) certainly is. If you turn in an incomplete work product you can be sued for breach of contract by non-performance. This remains true even if quality control at Ulisses NA signed off on the work product upon receipt (they signed off on the understanding that the translator dealt in good faith). Professionalism, in that regard, isn't determined by what diploma you have on your wall, but by the fruit of your labor. If you turn in an incomplete work product in exchange for complete payment, you are by definition unprofessional.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:39 am

Sometimes you have to shorten the text in translation. When i translated a p&p game i was told to keep the same pagecount and the same paragraphs on the original page, because the layout was done in another country and the layouter had to just "blindly" put the text together. A 100% translation would have taken 125% of pages though. So I had to unsheathe the scissors.

Windjammer

Postby Windjammer » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:27 pm

Bosper wrote:Sometimes you have to shorten the text in translation. When i translated a p&p game i was told to keep the same pagecount and the same paragraphs on the original page, because the layout was done in another country and the layouter had to just "blindly" put the text together. A 100% translation would have taken 125% of pages though. So I had to unsheathe the scissors.

This is absolutely true: when you "have to." Moving from German to English typically doesn't require it. English syntax is considerably more fluid than German. Here, you can see two things on the page I quote from. One, many (faithfully) translated sentences are shorter in English than German. Two, plenty of white space is left on the page, a lot more than in the original. Same on the facing page, by the way.

Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”