Later-life consecration and Tradition (Rahja)

Thrar
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:41 am

Later-life consecration and Tradition (Rahja)

Postby Thrar » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:29 am

The core rules p164 mention that it's possible to become a Blessed One later in life and refers to an "upcoming sourcebook". Does anyone with access to the German publications know if this has been described further, and how it works?
I'd be curious if there's some way to allow characters to gradually progress to their full consecration step by step. The total cost of Blessed plus a tradition is going to be around 150 AP, which would be quite a lot to save up for all at once.

In this case, we're looking at the church of Rahja. We found the tradition Rahja in German, but no specifics about the moral codex mentioned there. Do you know what the moral tenets for Rahja would be?


Background: Our group has significantly helped the church of Rahja in a past campaign and received a sacred "Rose of Rahja" (an eternal rose) as part of their reward. Now, months later, one of the characters was dying, all healing checks failed, and with no magic or potions available, their last resort was to place the sacred rose on the dying character and pray to Rahja. The rose wilted when drenched in her blood, but the dying character had a vision in which she was saved by a divine mare and has decided to dedicate her life to Rahja to spread the faith and give thanks for the miracle she experienced.
Our thinking is that Rahja might grant her Blessed as part of this experience, but she still needs to invest the points and gradually acquire the knowledge and skills in-game as she seeks out other Blessed Ones and temples to learn and strengthen her bond. We're trying to come up with some kind of gradual progression that allows her to unlock more blessings, bonuses, and KP, the more AP she invests. Once the full amount is invested and she received a formal consecration, she'd be a full by-the-book Blessed One.

User avatar
Lambert
Posts: 433
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 2:13 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: Later-life consecration and Tradition (Rahja)

Postby Lambert » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:04 am

That all sounds great to me.

No idea about rules, but this sounds like a game I would like to play in.

Keep it up.

User avatar
Bosper
Posts: 584
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 8:38 am

Re: Later-life consecration and Tradition (Rahja)

Postby Bosper » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:10 am

following the rules its just that: saving up the AP for the advantage blessed and the tradition.

we houseruled a system of 25-30 AP increments that slowly build up the powers, but RAW its just saving a huge chunk of AP and doing it like at creation.

Denshi
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:22 pm

Re: Later-life consecration and Tradition (Rahja)

Postby Denshi » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:08 pm

I'd say, the “Aventurian Gods” book would be tremendously helpful. Sadly I can't translate the relevant parts for you because that would be way be too much content.
Without the book, I'd recommend to let the player play as a non-blessed follower of Rahja. While that may sound like a downgrade, it's really not. You don't usually get blessed right away. Prove to the church of Rahja that you are reliable enough to represent Rahja and her faith. She can spend her AP on Rahja pleasing talents (seduction, riding, singing,…) and preach as a layman while working her way through the ranks. (Again, details about those ranks are in Aventurian Gods…)
When the book is out (let's just assume that will be reasonably soon) I'd propose the following:
She could recieve the advantage Visionary for 10 AP. That allows her to buy vision special abilities starting at another 15 AP (so 25AP total). Those allow her to receive visions from Rahja (beneficial effects included) every now and then (max once per day). When she eventually recieves her formal blessing, the 10 AP from the advantage are refunded and she can still use the visions.
If a formal blessing is her goal, she should also consider joining the church as an acolyte for 5AP (a lower ranked member). Acolytes aid (buff) blessed ones and are also bound by the moral code of the church. While it's not explicitly stated, I would refund those 5AP when she gets her blessing.
However, she can also just serve and preach Rahja independently of the church (which might not always be looked kindly upon by church officials).
As for AP costs: For Rahja, the costs are 120 AP consisting of Blessed (25AP), ObligationsII (-20AP), PrinciplesI (-10AP) and Tradition (125AP). If she buys Visionary and Acolyte first, she “only” has to save 105AP. While that's still quite an amount, the blessing has its perks.
You could make a quest line out of this with ~20AP per adventure. For example a pilgrimage to the Andergastian city of Joborn. They have a famous relic of Rahja there.

edit: Ideally she should undergo formal training sooner or later so she can learn blessings, liturgies and ceremonies. Why don't you let her buy Visionary right now for 10AP and send her automatic and uncontrolled visions sometimes as a side effect of her resurrection until she gets trained at the church to learn to channel the will of Rahja?

Thrar
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:41 am

Re: Later-life consecration and Tradition (Rahja)

Postby Thrar » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:13 am

Thank you all for your ideas!

We have decided to liberally apply the "Decreased Karma Points" and "Weak Regeneration" disadvantages so they give us a gradual progression towards becoming a Blessed One. We also found the liturgies and moral principles in German sources and were able to translate them in a usable manner.

In our progression house rule, the character receives Blessed and the Tradition (Rahja) SA right away, but also receives Decreased KP at a level equal to her current KP and Weak Regeneration at 6, so she actually has 0 KP and can't regain KP without bonuses. We use the AP from those disadvantages to offset the cost of Blessed and Tradition (Rahja). From now on, the character can spend AP on buying off these disadvantage levels one by one to unlock KP and improve KP regeneration, until she eventually becomes a by-the-book Blessed One.
The character is granted one minor blessing and one liturgy at the start (although she has no KP to use them yet) and may learn additional blessings and liturgies over time from other Blessed Ones or through divine inspiration.

If anyone is interested in following Rahja, you can see our translated Tradition (Rahja) and its liturgies in this doc. There is a brief section containing our house-ruled progression, but most of it is just straight-up translated from the German rules wiki.

Dany40
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:32 am

Re: Later-life consecration and Tradition (Rahja)

Postby Dany40 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:18 am

Thanks a lot for the traduction.... do you have any others ? I have german version of Magic I , God I and Kompendium II but the translation is difficult.

User avatar
Bosper
Posts: 584
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 8:38 am

Re: Later-life consecration and Tradition (Rahja)

Postby Bosper » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:36 am

Thrar wrote:Thank you all for your ideas!

We have decided to liberally apply the "Decreased Karma Points" and "Weak Regeneration" disadvantages so they give us a gradual progression towards becoming a Blessed One. We also found the liturgies and moral principles in German sources and were able to translate them in a usable manner.

In our progression house rule, the character receives Blessed and the Tradition (Rahja) SA right away, but also receives Decreased KP at a level equal to her current KP and Weak Regeneration at 6, so she actually has 0 KP and can't regain KP without bonuses. We use the AP from those disadvantages to offset the cost of Blessed and Tradition (Rahja). From now on, the character can spend AP on buying off these disadvantage levels one by one to unlock KP and improve KP regeneration, until she eventually becomes a by-the-book Blessed One.
The character is granted one minor blessing and one liturgy at the start (although she has no KP to use them yet) and may learn additional blessings and liturgies over time from other Blessed Ones or through divine inspiration.

If anyone is interested in following Rahja, you can see our translated Tradition (Rahja) and its liturgies in this doc. There is a brief section containing our house-ruled progression, but most of it is just straight-up translated from the German rules wiki.



Your Progression rule is very cool. I think i will swap out ours for yours.

edit: i introduced it in group chat and everyone is on board. good idea!

Thrar
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:41 am

Re: Later-life consecration and Tradition (Rahja)

Postby Thrar » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:15 am

Dany40 wrote:Thanks a lot for the traduction.... do you have any others ? I have german version of Magic I , God I and Kompendium II but the translation is difficult.

We made our translations manually from the German rules wiki. Are you looking for anything in particular? If there are just a handful of things I'll be happy to help, but if you're looking to get the whole book translated that'll have to wait I'm afraid.

@Bosper glad to hear you found it helpful. What type of character is your group working towards?

Dany40
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:32 am

Re: Later-life consecration and Tradition (Rahja)

Postby Dany40 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:25 am

Thrar wrote:
Dany40 wrote:Thanks a lot for the traduction.... do you have any others ? I have german version of Magic I , God I and Kompendium II but the translation is difficult.

We made our translations manually from the German rules wiki. Are you looking for anything in particular? If there are just a handful of things I'll be happy to help, but if you're looking to get the whole book translated that'll have to wait I'm afraid.

@Bosper glad to hear you found it helpful. What type of character is your group working towards?


I translate the german books PDF with Deepl translator.

For God 1 the translation of global churches traditions could be great. No need to translate the spells and capacities... I do it by myself.
Rules of spells modification would be great also.

For me also, the most important, its the new rules of Magic 1. I dont need Spell creation for the moment, but the general rules about guild specialisation and spells modifications will be great.
Spells and Special capacities are not a problem I translate it one by one.


Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest