Melee Combat Mechanics.

Alenvire

Melee Combat Mechanics.

Postby Alenvire » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:29 pm

So I am trying to make sense of the mechanics for melee and while I don't have the book on this computer I think I remember enough to explain my question. Later if anyone needs references I can look them up and post them. My question relates to bonuses gained from attributes. There is places that say courage gives a bonus to attack, and places that say one of the primary attributes give the bonus. So is it courage or primary attribute? and no attributes effect damage right? And lastly, a verification, does the number after the primary attributes listed mean the max target number for to hit rolls on the d20? Meaning if it lists 14 the max I could apply would be for example 12 from skill and 2 from attribute and nothing else allowed since it is listed as 14?

If anyone can explain it I would appreciate it. And bonus points if you can point me to the page number. Thanks in advance.

Thorgarth

Re: Melee Combat Mechanics.

Postby Thorgarth » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:01 am

The answer to your first question is, in a very straightforward way, on p. 51.

- For attacks with melee weapons your CT Skill Rating is modified by Courage to get you AT rating. (not going to discuss the merit or logic of using CO to attack. It is what it is...).

- For parrying with melee weapons halve you SR in the CT being used, modified by the primary atribute for said weapon. The table in the same page, called Combat Technique Summary, states which are the primary atributes for each Combat Technique.... e.g. for Daggers it´s Agi, while for Impact Weapons it´s Str.

- To attack with ranged weapons your SR in the CT being used is modified by Dex.

As for the second question I think, if I understood it correctly, is actually tied with the third question, so I hope my answer will help.
You seem to think no attribute modifies damage. That is NOT correct. The Primary Attribute for each CT can modify the damage IF it´s higher than the Weapon´s Damage Threshold, which is given in the Weapon Tables in the Equipment Chapter. For every point your Primary attribute is greater than the Damage Threshold you add one DP to the damage done with that weapon every time you hit. e.g. Bastard-Sword does 1d6+6, and uses Str as it´s Primary Attribute, with a Weapon Threshold of 14. If you have Str 16 every time you hit you would do 1d6+8 (1d6+6 from the weapon +2 from the main atribute).

Hope this helps.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:56 am

The maximum to hit at start is 12 from the CT and +2 from the attribute. You can take an advantage to raise the CT to 13 and you could have a one handed fighting special ability. so the absolute max at start is 16 + weapon modifier. After creation the Core Attribute +2 is the max of your CT.

Alenvire

Postby Alenvire » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:06 am

Sorry it took me so long to respond, but thank you! that helps a bunch! One last question on this. Where did you find the info on attributes adding to damage if past the threshold? I believe you, I just cant seem to find it.

Thorgarth

Postby Thorgarth » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:27 am

On page 235...

"Depending on the combat technique, heroes receive damage point bonuses from primary attributes. All close combat weapons have a stat called damage
threshold. If a combatant’s primary attribute is greater than a weapon’s damage threshold, every hit does 1 additional damage point per attribute point above the damage threshold. Damage thresholds are given for each weapon (see Chapter 14: Equipment).

Example: Layariel finds a rapier, which belongs to the category Fencing Weapons. Fencing weapons have Agility as their primary attribute. A rapier’s damage threshold is AGI 15. Layariel has an Agility of 16, one point above the damage threshold, so she deals one extra point of damage (instead of dealing 1d6+3 DP on a successful hit with the rapier, she inflicts 1d6+4)."

You really need to read and "play" with the book. It´s not there, or sometimes it´s there but not at all clear or ambiguous, BUT you need to search. It will make you understand things better.

Flash

Postby Flash » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:07 pm

Thorgarth wrote:You really need to read and "play" with the book. It´s not there, or sometimes it´s there but not at all clear or ambiguous, BUT you need to search. It will make you understand things better.

I would add to that that generally speaking that the chapters 2 and 3 are overviews. While the rest are the detail chapters.

I would advice against reading the book in order of chapters. Start reading with chapter 1 and 2 in order an then beginning with chapter 3 begin to cross reference with the detail chapters. So for example as soon as you hit step 3 of character generation: Choose race switch to chapter 4 races an read that. Then go back to generation and do the same with step 4 and so on. Things will be much easier to understand if you do it like this.

Alenvire

Postby Alenvire » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:39 pm

I think my biggest problem so far is not having a chance to actually play yet. So, I'm just reading the book and not everything is clicking yet.

Thorgarth

Postby Thorgarth » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:08 am

True that, BUT you can simulate some encounters on your own to get the hang of it. It will "force" to go look for some details, check some tables and data, and overall will give you a better sense of how things are organized and where key stuff is located.

It will also help you get a sense of how the game plays out for you, in the sense that you will get a better understanding of how the game reacts with your personal tastes that you may not get just by reading the book. It may "force" you to start tinkering with the rules, to think on the rules and how they apply in a more systematic way, or simply that the system is actually lacking in some key aspects... I highly recommend this test runs!

Lanir

Postby Lanir » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:07 pm

Obviously playing with a group is better but even if you're going solo I would probably recommend beginning with the Quick Start rules. Once you play out a couple of encounters and become familiar with one or two of the characters you can look up the things they have on their sheet that weren't in the simplified rules.

I don't think it's ever explicitly spelled out but I imagine that they made the Quick Start with the idea that you could use the pregens and then dig into the game more by getting the core rules and checking out what all the stuff on the character sheet actually meant.

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:15 am

I do not wish to open another topic so I'll use this topic to ask couple of questions about combat mechanics.

Are there gonna to be or maybe already are in German books :

1. optional rules regarding armors and encumbrance, more armor types, materials, armor pieces (pauldrons, gauntlets, helmets etc) etc?

2. optional rules about armor type vs dmg types like there was in AD&D 2ed (piercing, slashing bludgeoning damage, some armors better to deal with certain types of weapons etc.)?

3. optional rules about hit location mechanics?
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”