Melee Combat Mechanics.

Flash

Re: Melee Combat Mechanics.

Postby Flash » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:57 am

MadBeard wrote:Are there gonna to be or maybe already are in German books :

1. optional rules regarding armors and encumbrance, more armor types, materials, armor pieces (pauldrons, gauntlets, helmets etc) etc?

Aventurische Rüstkammer has some more armor types, rules about magical materials, rules for piecemeal armour.

MadBeard wrote:2. optional rules about armor type vs dmg types like there was in AD&D 2ed (piercing, slashing bludgeoning damage, some armors better to deal with certain types of weapons etc.)?

Nothing major about type vs dmg but some stuff is hidden in the Foucs rules for weapons and armors. Again you want to have the Aventurische Rüstkammer for this.

MadBeard wrote:3. optional rules about hit location mechanics?

The Aventurisches Kompendium has them.

Lambert

Postby Lambert » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:44 am

Flash wrote:
MadBeard wrote:3. optional rules about hit location mechanics?

The Aventurisches Kompendium has them.

But the rules regarding piecemeal armour and different armour protection in different hit locations is back in the Rüstkammer.

Flash

Postby Flash » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:21 am

Lambert wrote:But the rules regarding piecemeal armour and different armour protection in different hit locations is back in the Rüstkammer.

Yea somewhat puzzling distribution. But at least the rules in the compendium are usable without piecemeal armour as the are are also rules for different damage effects when you attack different parts of the body.

Interestingly the rules for hit locations in the Compendium are Focus I rules while the one for piecemeal armour are Focus II

That actually works out for me. I can see myself using the hit location rules as they are adding something interesting to the game. The piecemeal rules not so much. They add a lot of maths with very little gain. The rules for weapon and armor damage in the Rüstkammer (also Focus I) are much more interesting.

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:10 pm

Thank you guys. I'll check it out as soon as there will be english version available :)

In the meantime one more question :)

This one is about special combat abilities. For special combat abilities like Feint I-III, Forceful Blow I-III, Precise Shot I-III, Precise Trust I-III etc if you have lvl II or lvl III do you get to choose a lower penalty or you must you use ability on the maximum lvl?

For example if character has Feint III can he use at Feint I (penal -1) or he must use at Feint III (penal -3)?
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

Flash

Postby Flash » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:04 pm

MadBeard wrote:For example if character has Feint III can he use at Feint I (penal -1) or he must use at Feint III (penal -3)?

He had to buy all three different feint levels as separate abilities so it stands to reason that he can use all three of them as separate abilities.

So yes.

Edit: You probable won't find any German TDE player who would interpret it otherwise as these kind of choose-able penalties to the attack roll for bonus on other stuff were part of prior editions. TDE 5E actually did reign this in to a 3 maximum. In 4E you could choose much higher numbers. :lol:

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:05 pm

Thanks Flash.
I'm asking because of wording:
Rules: Attack with a penalty equal to the level of this special ability. If you hit, the opponent’s defense suffers a penalty of 2 per level in this special ability.

I wasn't aware that this are three separate abilities. According to wording I assume that this is one ability which you can upgrade by spending more APs. :)
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

Thrar

Postby Thrar » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:58 pm

You do need to learn them individually, although of course for simplicity I wouldn't write it 3 times on my character sheet.
That also means that the character has to find someone to teach them who knows the targeted level of the ability and can't simply learn it by themselves later in life.

Flash

Postby Flash » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:50 am

Thrar wrote:That also means that the character has to find someone to teach them who knows the targeted level of the ability and can't simply learn it by themselves later in life.

That is incorrect. The only thing you really need a tutor for is for activating new spells. Everything else you freely can learn with APs.

The GM has a say with Advantages/Disadvantages and about the time it takes to learn the rest. But that's it.
Thankfully 5E keeps advancement rather simple and hands off.

That fits right in my style when I am the GM. Players can spend APs at the beginning of the game session and at the end to improve stuff.
I have better things to do then bother with stuff like learning times. APs are a reward and not a hassle.

I have no doubt that will will see Focus rules down the line that give options to those who want it more complicated. But thankfully they will just be Focus rules and basic stays free of the stuff.

Dareshiranu

Postby Dareshiranu » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:38 pm

I just wanted to be clear. When you guys are talking about "CT" you are talking about CTV right? I just want to make sure I'm getting the nomenclature correct.

Flash

Postby Flash » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:36 pm

Dareshiranu wrote:I just wanted to be clear. When you guys are talking about "CT" you are talking about CTV right? I just want to make sure I'm getting the nomenclature correct.

CT is just the shorthand for talk about the combat technique itself or for the unmodified rank of the combat technique.

CTV is used as soon as the attribute bonuses (page 51) are factored in and the split in Attack and Parry occurs.

Often then also its called Attack or Parry or shorthand AT/PA. People often tend use these when all the other stuff like encumbrance and the modifiers from the different weapons are factored in as well as it is what you use mostly at the table during play.

Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”