loot/rewards questions

thelordoftherats

loot/rewards questions

Postby thelordoftherats » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:46 pm

I have been GMing the Dark Eye for about 9 months or so (whenever it came out in the U.S.) and I have some questions regarding giving out treasure and items. What is the typical loot haul of an adventure in silverthalers? 100, 200 each? What kind of pricing should I use for exceptional weapons and armor and what are the recommendations? I have heard there is a supplement coming out sometime soon that may address some the questions, but I am still adjusting to the feel of the game setting and rules. I don't want to give out too much but I don't want to be stingy either. Thank you for your replies.

Tenushath

Re: loot/rewards questions

Postby Tenushath » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:45 pm

Loot? In The Dark Eye? Haha.

Seriously though, the Dark Eye, as written, is far away from Monty Haul campaigns. Oftentimes the only rewards players get are the skins/other parts of wild animals/creatures killed and other raw resources found. Sometimes they can glean rewards for services rendered but in general they aren't going to get hard currency very often.

So how do they pay for that bright and shiny sword? Well they have to get creative. Offer to work for the blacksmith handling errands/chores he needs completed. Beg, borrow...steal?

One of my favorite things about The Dark Eye is the shift away from treasure as a steady source of income for PCs.

~Tenu

Flash

Postby Flash » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:11 pm

Tenushath wrote:Loot? In The Dark Eye? Haha.

Seriously though, the Dark Eye, as written, is far away from Monty Haul campaigns. Oftentimes the only rewards players get are the skins/other parts of wild animals/creatures killed and other raw resources found. Sometimes they can glean rewards for services rendered but in general they aren't going to get hard currency very often.

So how do they pay for that bright and shiny sword? Well they have to get creative. Offer to work for the blacksmith handling errands/chores he needs completed. Beg, borrow...steal?

One of my favorite things about The Dark Eye is the shift away from treasure as a steady source of income for PCs.

Well that is a little bit too spartan for my taste. I have no problems handing out monetary rewards in my group. It is just so that it doesn't get invested to 90% in equipment like for example in D&D as TDE doesn't do the magic item spiral so there is no real need to Monty Haul. Money gets invested in other stuff like a nice house in Havena, bribes, magical research material, more bribes, donations to the twelve, even more bribes (Adventurers are a trouble magnet :lol: ) a longship and so on.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:42 pm

50-100 thalers is alrigt for early adventures if the "questgiver" is rich enough to do so. 100 thalers might be a months income for a local smith or up to a years worth of work for poor folks. So giving 500 thalers to a party of adventurers isnt possible for everyone below the rich.
Better Equipment is way more expensive though. A mastercrafted Sword with AT+1, PA+1, Ini+1 or DMG+1 might be 500 thalers alone. If it has got 2 improvements you can do 5x5 of the normal price, more if the smith is well known. But smiths that are able to craft those are rare and take a lot of time until the work is finished (they wont be waiting desperatly to get new work, without bribes and influence he will have to finish 12 other things before he even starts).

Important rewards in the dark eye are contacts though. A few hundred thalers (usually you would talk about ducats then) are nice, but having the burgomeister of a city or a priest or mage owing you a favour is way more useful in future adventures.

Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”