How often do fate points return?

thelordoftherats

How often do fate points return?

Postby thelordoftherats » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:58 pm

What is the general consensus on how often fate points should return after use? One per session or faster? Slower?

Teekayy

Re: How often do fate points return?

Postby Teekayy » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:02 pm

I think the rules say, that they replenish after each adventure. Or when the Dungeon Master decides to give them one for superb roleplay or so. If they solve a puzzle or a problem in a good way.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:46 pm

Once per adventure is a basic guideline. But not a very good one. Some adventures are done in one evening, others take 12 sessions.

My players get all their FP back every session. Plus there is a party-pool on the table with one FP for each player, which they can award to others for great scenes.

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:25 pm

You have official ruling for this on page 31 in Core book

Start of a Session - 1 FtP
End of an Act - 1 or more FtP
End of an Adventure - All FtP
Heroic Deed - 1 FtP for each participating hero
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

Teekayy

Postby Teekayy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:14 am

I'd rather not give them too much fatepoints too quickly. That would make the advantage "luck" a bad trade. It should be something special. But thats the nice thing about tde. Everyone can do it as they like. :)

Flash

Postby Flash » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:03 am

Bosper wrote:My players get all their FP back every session.

Mine as well. Mainly because I am way too lazy to keep track of them between sessions... :lol:

Thrar

Postby Thrar » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:31 am

In my group each player gets 1 FtP at the start of every session, plus full FtP after completing a scenario or major milestone (typically every 3-4 sessions). For a while we had a character with Luck II; to make that expensive advantage stand out more we decided to give him an additional FtP every session on top of the increased total.

We have experimented with rewarding cool stuff with FtP as decided by the players after every session, but in practice that turned into players asking each other "who needs FtP the most right now?" rather than rewarding fun play. As GM I also don't want to act as a judge on what's good play, so after a while we dropped this part entirely.

Our group is pretty honest at keeping track of their own FtP, life totals and other variables between sessions. We experimented with tokens, but those were easy to forget at home, now most players have their current FtP written on the character sheet.

With full FtP every session I imagine the game becomes a bit more forgiving and encourages more heroic risk-taking since negative consequences are lessened. For us our current system seems to work fine, but I can see how it could be fun with more points available as well.

Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”