Thrusting weapons

Aprewett

Thrusting weapons

Postby Aprewett » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:06 pm

Just wondering if I have missed this somewhere, but the rules give us Cramped, but does this apply to all weapons. Some weapons are obvious thrusters, like the spear. I can rule it does not, but just wondering if I missed something or how detailed the combat rules are?

Thrar

Re: Thrusting weapons

Postby Thrar » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:36 am

In melee combat, a spear is basically used like a quarterstaff with a pointy bit on one end. There's a lot more to it than just poking the other guy, which is why it's rightfully grouped in the same weapon class as staves.

Even weapons that are almost exclusively piercing, like the foil, require room to maneuver. In a cramped environment, once someone with a short blade gets past your weapon, it's very difficult to get back into striking distance.

You're of course free to rule this in any way that makes sense to your group, but from my point of view the Cramped rules are fine the way they are.

Aprewett

Postby Aprewett » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:46 am

Thanks, I can see your point...
Another game we play is Blade of the Iron Throne, son of The Riddle of Steel, so we always have its combat simulation rolling around with other games. For example, it has a good take on metal armour protection.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:01 pm

a spear doesnt get shorter through thrusting. if there is no room in the back or to the sides its pretty useless

Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”