Character Creation Questions

User avatar
JohnK
Posts: 454
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:26 am

Re: Character Creation Questions

Postby JohnK » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:25 pm

Hullo, Flash,

Flash wrote:
JohnK wrote:Maybe so, Flash, but I can't figure out how to access the process when I go to that link. :(

But I had the impression that late backing of the WK KS through GameOn was over the day I got back from Indy. Still, I wish I could get into it, as I'd pledge at the $120 level. *sigh*


Ah shit I can no longer access it as well. They must have closed it today. Yesterday when I posted that it was still open as I took a look at what you could buy as add ons.

Bah talk about bad timing. :shock:


*sigh* I'm starting to feel cursed with the game and its Kickstarters. First, no funds for the main rulebook one, then a down computer kept me out of the Aventuria Almanac for the month, and now this one with the Warring Kingdoms Kickstarter. *sigh*
=====
"They're High Lords, for God's sake! You can't just walk up to one and say, "How you doing? Feel like dying now?" you know!" - Abraham Horowitz, priest

JohnK
e-mail: johnk100@sympatico.ca
blog: http://jkahane.livejournal.com

User avatar
JohnK
Posts: 454
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:26 am

Re: Character Creation Questions

Postby JohnK » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:30 pm

Hullo, folks,

Okay, back to the character creation questions...

In the Professions packages, I take it that none of the Prerequisites are included in the package, including Spellcaster, Tradition (whatever), etc..? While it seems to indicate this, I just wanted to confirm that.

Secondly, in the Profession packages, what happened to the Rogue's Equipment and Garb? They seem to be missing from the page. Anyone got the listing for this?

Thanks, in advance. :)
=====
"They're High Lords, for God's sake! You can't just walk up to one and say, "How you doing? Feel like dying now?" you know!" - Abraham Horowitz, priest

JohnK
e-mail: johnk100@sympatico.ca
blog: http://jkahane.livejournal.com

User avatar
JohnK
Posts: 454
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:26 am

Re: Character Creation Questions

Postby JohnK » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:57 pm

Hullo, folks,

While I'm in the Professions, I've noticed that several of them list things like the "Visibli (Elf)" Spell, or "Somnigravis (Elf)" Spell, and I haven't been able to parse what that means exactly. Any enlightenment on this would be most welcome.

Thanks, in advance. :)
=====
"They're High Lords, for God's sake! You can't just walk up to one and say, "How you doing? Feel like dying now?" you know!" - Abraham Horowitz, priest

JohnK
e-mail: johnk100@sympatico.ca
blog: http://jkahane.livejournal.com

User avatar
MadBeard
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 4:23 pm
Location: Alvona, Croatia

Re: Character Creation Questions

Postby MadBeard » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:35 am

JohnK wrote:Hullo, folks,

Okay, back to the character creation questions...

In the Professions packages, I take it that none of the Prerequisites are included in the package, including Spellcaster, Tradition (whatever), etc..? While it seems to indicate this, I just wanted to confirm that.


Page 128:
Prerequisites: Which prerequisites must be met to buy the stat block? For example, a character might need the advantage Spellcaster or Blessed. AP costs for prerequisite advantages, disadvantages, and special abilities are found in the relevant chapter.
Note: the AP cost for a profession package does not include these prerequisites.


JohnK wrote:Secondly, in the Profession packages, what happened to the Rogue's Equipment and Garb? They seem to be missing from the page. Anyone got the listing for this?


Yeah. It's missing. They added in updated pdf. Here, I'll c/p it
Equipment and Garb
Rogues prefer knives and fencing weapons, and throwing daggers for ranged combat, but basically are willing (and able) to use anything they can get their hands on. Like performers, most rogues need freedom of movement and tend to avoid wearing armor.



JohnK wrote:While I'm in the Professions, I've noticed that several of them list things like the "Visibli (Elf)" Spell, or "Somnigravis (Elf)" Spell, and I haven't been able to parse what that means exactly. Any enlightenment on this would be most welcome.


If I understood your question correctly, you probably mean this:
Black Mage profession - under spells, among other spells is also Somnigravis (Elf) 4.

That means that this spell is from another tradition. According to table Maximum Values at Hero Creation on page 39, for Experienced level you can choose up to two spells from another tradition (last column). But you musn't have more that maximum allowed spells for that experienced level, which in this case is 12.
So to say it in short, you can have up to 12 spells at the character creation, and up to two of those 12 can be from another tradition.

And another thing to consider is Guild Mage Tradition which says (page 275):

Guild mages can choose one spell from an unfamiliar Tradition during Hero Creation. They can then cast this spell as if it were a spell from the mage’s own Tradition. Translating a spell in this manner takes a great deal of effort and can be achieved only at an academy.


Also on page 256 it's said:
You cannot choose modifications for spells from an unfamiliar Tradition


So that is the downside of choosing spells from unfamiliar tradition.

Hope that helps
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

Flash
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:39 pm

Re: Character Creation Questions

Postby Flash » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:27 am

JohnK wrote:*sigh* I'm starting to feel cursed with the game and its Kickstarters. First, no funds for the main rulebook one, then a down computer kept me out of the Aventuria Almanac for the month, and now this one with the Warring Kingdoms Kickstarter. *sigh*


Lol. Try the link again. It seems to be open again as I type this. :?

No idea why it open again but I am currently tracking that Hexxen 1733 crowd funding and just became aware of it.

User avatar
MadBeard
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 4:23 pm
Location: Alvona, Croatia

Re: Character Creation Questions

Postby MadBeard » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:33 am

Yes, it's reopen but not for long. See update on KS https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... ect_update
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

User avatar
Bosper
Posts: 625
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 8:38 am

Re: Character Creation Questions

Postby Bosper » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:47 am

JohnK wrote:Hullo, folks,

While I'm in the Professions, I've noticed that several of them list things like the "Visibli (Elf)" Spell, or "Somnigravis (Elf)" Spell, and I haven't been able to parse what that means exactly. Any enlightenment on this would be most welcome.

Thanks, in advance. :)


Like MadBeard said its spells in another tradition. A mage might learn a few spells in different traditions in creation and afterwards. They are limited in creation though and are always cast with a penalty. Most importantly they cant be modified in any way, and you cant learn the spell's variants (introduced in the first magic supplement, giving each spell 3 additional versions to cast)

User avatar
JohnK
Posts: 454
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:26 am

Re: Character Creation Questions

Postby JohnK » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:43 pm

Hullo, Madbeard,

Thanks for the various corrections and clarifcations. Much appreciated. :)

A lot of stuff to absorb. Will post reply if I have any questions about the material you noted here.
=====
"They're High Lords, for God's sake! You can't just walk up to one and say, "How you doing? Feel like dying now?" you know!" - Abraham Horowitz, priest

JohnK
e-mail: johnk100@sympatico.ca
blog: http://jkahane.livejournal.com

User avatar
JohnK
Posts: 454
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:26 am

Re: Character Creation Questions

Postby JohnK » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:45 pm

Hullo, Flash,

Flash wrote:
JohnK wrote:*sigh* I'm starting to feel cursed with the game and its Kickstarters. First, no funds for the main rulebook one, then a down computer kept me out of the Aventuria Almanac for the month, and now this one with the Warring Kingdoms Kickstarter. *sigh*


Lol. Try the link again. It seems to be open again as I type this. :?

No idea why it open again but I am currently tracking that Hexxen 1733 crowd funding and just became aware of it.


Yep, when I logged on again about 11:30 pm last night, it was back and up. I'd sent Eric a message about this, and he told me that it was closed by error yesterday.

That said, I AM THE PROUD LATE PLEDGER AT $120 FOR THE WARRING KINGDOMS KICKSTARTER!! WHOOOOHOOOOO! :)
=====
"They're High Lords, for God's sake! You can't just walk up to one and say, "How you doing? Feel like dying now?" you know!" - Abraham Horowitz, priest

JohnK
e-mail: johnk100@sympatico.ca
blog: http://jkahane.livejournal.com

User avatar
JohnK
Posts: 454
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:26 am

Re: Character Creation Questions

Postby JohnK » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:47 pm

Hullo, Bosper,

Bosper wrote:
JohnK wrote:Hullo, folks,

While I'm in the Professions, I've noticed that several of them list things like the "Visibli (Elf)" Spell, or "Somnigravis (Elf)" Spell, and I haven't been able to parse what that means exactly. Any enlightenment on this would be most welcome.

Thanks, in advance. :)


Like MadBeard said its spells in another tradition. A mage might learn a few spells in different traditions in creation and afterwards. They are limited in creation though and are always cast with a penalty. Most importantly they cant be modified in any way, and you cant learn the spell's variants (introduced in the first magic supplement, giving each spell 3 additional versions to cast)


Yep, MadBeard's explanation of this was spot on the money. I like the idea that a mage can learn a few spells of different Traditions, but there are checks and balances for this.

So which magic supplement are we talking? And when can we expect to see this in English?
=====
"They're High Lords, for God's sake! You can't just walk up to one and say, "How you doing? Feel like dying now?" you know!" - Abraham Horowitz, priest

JohnK
e-mail: johnk100@sympatico.ca
blog: http://jkahane.livejournal.com


Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests