Encumbrance

Warden

Encumbrance

Postby Warden » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:45 am

Page 32: Example: “Arbosh wears chainmail armour. The armour’s weight gives the dwarf two levels of the condition Encumbrance. However, Arbosh possesses the special ability Inured to Encumbrance I, which lets him ignore one level of Encumbrance (i.e. two steps in the chart on the upper right). Thus he only suffers one level of the condition."

Page 248: For example, a character with Inured to Encumbrance I who puts on a suit of plate armour suffers penalties (to ENC, MOV, and INI) as if wearing Cloth armour or gambeson instead (Cloth armour or gambeson is four steps lighter than plate armour on the Armour chart—see page 237).

Why does Inured to Encumbrance I better the load by 2 steps in the first example but 4 steps in the bottom example?

tempest13

Re: Encumbrance

Postby tempest13 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:05 am

Because you just became our newest winner in "spot that errata"!!!
The first example is correct. Even the rules are correct on page 248. The example would be correct for Inured to armor II.

Warden

Postby Warden » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:10 am

tempest13 wrote:Because you just became our newest winner in "spot that errata"!!!
The first example is correct. Even the rules are correct on page 248. The example would be correct for Inured to armor II.

Thanks for clarifying

So, should the bottom example start of "“A character with Inured to Encumbrance 2 "? Is that the easiest way to fix things?

Also, let's say you were wearing plate armour and you had Inured to Encumbrance II. Have I correctly identified the four-step reduction in the diagram below?

tempest13

Postby tempest13 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:47 am

Yes inured to encumbrance 2 would make the example correct.

The best way to think of the encumbrance chart ( at least for me) is to think of the steps with extra modifiers aligning with other steps with other modifiers, and the steps without modifiers aligning with other steps w/o modifiers.

So a better chart would be:

------------------------- Inured to armor 1----Inured to armor 2
Plate--------------------Like chain------------- Like gambeson
Scale ------------------- Like leather-----------Like heavy clothing
Chain-------------------Like gambeson--------No encumbrance
Leather----------------Like heavy clothing--- No encumbrance
Gambeson ------------No encumbrance------ No encumbrance

Warden

Postby Warden » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:53 am

Thank you tempest!

Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”