Short Questions, Quick Answers

Denshi

Re: Short Questions, Quick Answers

Postby Denshi » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:23 pm

Bosper wrote:i think arax is the weaker non-refined version of arachnae isnt it ?

edit: See Empiariss's response
It's the other way around: Arachnae is poison from the poison glands of the aventurian cave spider, which is described in the aventuria almanach. In the almanach the poison is simply called "cave spider poison". If the cave spider poison gets distilled using alchemy, the resulting, stronger poison is called Arax.
None of those poisons is instantaneous.

PS:
Cave spider venom
Type: weapon poison, animal venom (complex)
Resistance: Toughness
Effect: 1 level of Paralysis / no effect
Start: 3 CR
Duration: 24 hours / -
Cost (Buy/Sell): 300 silverthalers / 75 silverthalers
(On the fly translated from the German almanach)
Last edited by Denshi on Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Empiariss

Postby Empiariss » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:58 pm

1) Until there is an official rule-statement, the GM decides. I would decide in this situatiuon that it doesn't have any effect.

2.1) You also could use arrows, because (most) arrows are defenitly not blunt.

2.2) Arax is made from Arachnae, which is made from spider venom. Not the other way. And Arachnae is not the original spider venom.
Arachnae works instant, but it has a much lower duration (1 hour) and is not as strong as Arax. There are no rules for Arachnae in the 5th edition (now).

Denshi

Postby Denshi » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:25 pm

Empiariss wrote:2.2) Arax is made from Arachnae, which is made from spider venom. Not the other way. And Arachnae is not the original spider venom.
Arachnae works instant, but it has a much lower duration (1 hour) and is not as strong as Arax. There are no rules for Arachnae in the 5th edition (now).

Whoops, it seems I misinterpreted that. So for now there is no Arachnae. I suspect that will be in the first book about magic. So we'll have to wait for that.

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:20 pm

I know that you can use arrows. That's not the point.
The point I was trying to say that is little odd to me that weapon only poison, which is made from spider poison, start to work after 10 min. That's all.
If spider would have to wait that long to paralyze something, he would stay hungry. Just kidding ;)

Thank you guys for the help. Much appreciated.

P.S I forgot to ask. Does poison effects stack? I.e. cave spider bites you 4 time and poison check is all 4 time successful, do you have 4 lvl of Paralysis or just one level?
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

Empiariss

Postby Empiariss » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:52 pm

The effect of the cave spider venom stack.
source Aventurischer Almanach

And the spider doesn't have to wait for 10 minutes. As Denshi posted before, fresh spider venom paralyses after 3 CR.
Cave spider venom
Type: weapon poison, animal venom (complex)
Resistance: Toughness
Effect: 1 level of Paralysis / no effect
Start: 3 CR
Duration: 24 hours / -
Cost (Buy/Sell): 300 silverthalers / 75 silverthalers

Denshi

Postby Denshi » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:59 pm

Yes, the effect (when caused by spider bites) explicitly stacks. I've not yet found a rule stating whether poisons in general stack. Alchemical elixirs (and other "supernatural effects") don't stack(CR 272). It's possible that natural poisons stack, but I guess this has to be handled on a case by case basis.

edit: It seems I was too late...

Empiariss

Postby Empiariss » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:07 pm

Not all natural poisons stack.
e.g. The venom of the yellowtail scorpion doesn't.

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:51 am

Thanks guys. So, for creature natural poison, is written in creature statblock if it stacks, and for distilled/refined poison I'll rule on the fly.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:55 pm

I don't know if this is for the rules section or setting, so I'll try here :)
Eric if you think that this is more setting section material, please move there.

1. Are eyeglasses/spectacles invented in Aventuria and what about sunglasses?
2. What are Amber glasses (page 378 - orientation aids)?
3. Mundane equipment - are there going to be some better descriptions for them in some other book, like maybe Almanac or Compendium?
4. Are there going to be more herbs described in other books (In core book are only healing herbs)?
5. In what book(s) will be ingame books described like there was for 4ed in World of Aventuria book (english version name)?
For example:
How to Fight, Ride and Drink Beer
(Anonymous, probably Havena, 14 Haal, 60 pages)

A very unconventional book that is full of strange grammar and spelling mistakes. A collection of lively tips and tricks for adventurers, mainly on the subjects described in the title; astonishingly helpful. Manuscript unknown; 3 known fist copies, about 600 copies, often with additional comments and additions—the most voluminous copy has 152 pages.
Availability: 7 (any copy)
Value: 3–12 D (depends on copy)
Subject: Carouse (0/6), Ride (2/4),
Brawling (0/8)

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

HEX the Dark

Postby HEX the Dark » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:34 pm

1) Yes, they are Sunglasses are also known, usually they're just normal glasses with blackened (sooted) glasses.
2) Amber glasses are glasses made from amber instead of glass. They serve many purposes, from fancy sunglasses to the detection of magical, else invisible shadow chalk.
3) There will be a chapter about mundane equipment in the armory.
4) There are some in the Almanac, and there will be some in the regional books. And I think a book like the bestiary, but about herbs, is also planned.
5) Several, there are some in the armory and the almanac, though (but iirc not with rules in the almanac).
Never trust a smiling gamemaster

Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”