Can a PC Mage use Salander to shapeshift?

Morgoth

Can a PC Mage use Salander to shapeshift?

Postby Morgoth » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:21 am

Question: Could a guild mage PC use the Salander spell to transform into, say, a bird to use the power of flight? If so does he retain full memories of his time spent as a bird or still retains dim memories only? And finally since it is a beneficial spell for him can he choose to have the spell automatically succeed on him instead of having to save using Toughness?

bluedragon7

Re: Can a PC Mage use Salander to shapeshift?

Postby bluedragon7 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:00 am

Toughness is the resistance of your body, not your mind and as such you can not consciously ignore it. It will always stay as a modifier of the spell check, even if you are a willing target. The memory loss is also applicable to all targets, including the spellcaster himself, so it is quite impractical to use it to shapeshift yourself as you have no conscious control.

Shinxirus

Postby Shinxirus » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:06 am

Morgoth wrote:Question: Could a guild mage PC use the Salander spell to transform into, say, a bird to use the power of flight? If so does he retain full memories of his time spent as a bird or still retains dim memories only?

Yes, he could do that, though he would still only retain a fracture of his mental abilities and would only have dim memories. There is a modification in Aventurian Magic I that allows to keep full mental abilities and to remember everything, requiring a skill value of 12 and costing 6 AP to learn.

Morgoth wrote:And finally since it is a beneficial spell for him can he choose to have the spell automatically succeed on him instead of having to save using Toughness?

You always need to make a spell check, since a mage must concentrate and shape the astral energy into the correct spell matrix - that's why for ex. you can't auto succeed on a BALSAM, even though thats (almost) always a beneficial spell. I'm not entirely sure, but I'd say the toughness penalty to the spell check still applies, as it represents the natural physical resistance to magic, rather than actively resisting the spell. Also I'm not sure if I understood what you meant by "save" - toughness is a penalty to the spell check, not a saving throw if you meant that.

Morgoth

Postby Morgoth » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:20 pm

Yes I meant the toughness penalty; used 'save' because that's what I am used to in referring to resisting magic for various RPGs. :lol:

I know the mage always has to make a casting check, but IMO certain spells that re beneficial, and especially one the mage is willingly casting on himself should allow him to avoid resistance penalties such as toughness or willpower, etc.

@bluedragon7 makes a great point though; it's not a willpower check but toughness, but even then a mage should be unconsciously willing his body to adapt to the spell, and thus avoid the penalty.

Shinxirus

Postby Shinxirus » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:24 am

As was said, toughness and the natural resistance to magic are just physical abilities of the body, like muscle strength. You must think of casting magic as trying to conduct electricity through a material: You have the electronic current (the flowing astral energy), the body through which it's supposed to go, and that body has a certain resistance. This resistance is always there, it's a physical trait of the body, regardless of what you're trying to do.

Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”