Benefits of Stone Oak?

thelordoftherats

Benefits of Stone Oak?

Postby thelordoftherats » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:20 pm

What are the benefits of Stone Oak for mages staves and other weapons? Does it make it more difficult to break?

Morgoth Feuerklinge

Re: Benefits of Stone Oak?

Postby Morgoth Feuerklinge » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:57 am

I don't know if it's already defined in TDE5, but in TDE4.1 the material has a certain effect. First of all, all wands are unbreakable once the binding ritual has been performed (you do this when you receive the wand).

In TDE4.1, stone oak has the effect that the ritual probes Eternal Flame and Flame Sword are lightened by 2 in each case. In addition, the wand becomes completely immune to fire, but draws on lightning.

Other materials: Blutulme, Bosparanie, Eisenbaum, Mahagoni, Zyklopenzeder, Raschtulzeder, Mammutbaum, Walnussbaum, Baum der Reisenden

Sorry, I don't know the translated names of the woods.
Please excuse my bad English, I'm a beginner.

TDE since: 1998
Current TDE rule set: 4.1
Played adventures: 55

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:43 am

Morgoth Feuerklinge wrote:I don't know if it's already defined in TDE5, but in TDE4.1 the material has a certain effect. First of all, all wands are unbreakable once the binding ritual has been performed (you do this when you receive the wand).

In TDE4.1, stone oak has the effect that the ritual probes Eternal Flame and Flame Sword are lightened by 2 in each case. In addition, the wand becomes completely immune to fire, but draws on lightning.

Other materials: Blutulme, Bosparanie, Eisenbaum, Mahagoni, Zyklopenzeder, Raschtulzeder, Mammutbaum, Walnussbaum, Baum der Reisenden

Sorry, I don't know the translated names of the woods.

Yeah TDE 4.1 isnt that helpfull anymore , since modifiers work differently

Advantage: The Staff is resistant to Fire. Even Dragons Breath does it no harm. Activating Sword of Flame costs 2 instead of 3 AsP and only takes up 6 points of volume.
Disadvantage: Is the one wielding the staff hit by any kind of lightning (natural or supernatural like magic or chants) he will suffer 3 additional points of damage, even if the lightning itself wouldnt harm him in any way.

Wooden armor made of stoneoak protects with +1 but also raises the encumbrance by +2 , stability is raised by 4 and the crafting checks are done with -1

Wooden Weapons made of stoneoak cause +1 damage, their stability is raised by 4 and the crafting checks are done with -1

Strongblade

Postby Strongblade » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:17 am

Does the fire and lightning aspects affect the armor or other weapons like it does for the staff?

Denshi

Postby Denshi » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:37 pm

Bosper wrote:Advantage: The Staff is resistant to Fire. Even Dragons Breath does it no harm. Activating Sword of Flame costs 2 instead of 3 AsP and only takes up 6 points of volume.

This is correct and exactly as it says in the official sources, but it's strangely written: The first two sentences (Fire resistance) also applies to all magic staves that are bound using the “Binding of the Staff”. The special thing about staff made out of stone oak (besides the flame sword bonus) is that it's resistant to dragon fire even without the binding—so you might save a few APs if you simply want a very sturdy mundane staff.
Strongblade wrote:Does the fire and lightning aspects affect the armor or other weapons like it does for the staff?

The stats for the stone oak weapons/armor are—if I remember correctly—from the Aventurian Armory. More specifically from a table about alternative materials for weapon crafting. The nature of that table did not allow for detailed special effects and listed only simple stat changes like the mentioned “+1 dmg”. The staff made out of stone oak has a full page in the armory of the warring kingdoms and thus more room for detailed extra effects. However, applying those effects to other items shouldn't be a problem to house-rule.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:16 pm

I think the table was in the compendium

Denshi

Postby Denshi » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:24 pm

Bosper wrote:I think the table was in the compendium

You're right, it's in the compendium. I was confusing it with the magical metals table from the armory. :)

Dany40

Postby Dany40 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:10 pm

A compiled materials table would be great :)

Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”