The value of pure gold and silver, and game animals

Uriel718

The value of pure gold and silver, and game animals

Postby Uriel718 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:32 pm

Hey

I've been trying to figure out how much money could players get if they hunted and sold some of the common game animals. For example, how much would a butcher pay for a whole deer, elk or rabbit? And how about just the skin, for example wolf and bear skins? Either I completely missed it, or there is no info in the core rules.

I also need to know the value of pure gold and silver in grams.

Thanks in advance!

bluedragon7

Re: The value of pure gold and silver, and game animals

Postby bluedragon7 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:34 am

As a warning: prices in TDE are not determined as a functioning economy. While they have removed the worst offenders (some products being way cheaper than the raw materials needed to make them) because some prices are still determined by the game usefulness instead of by an ingame economy, the real answer to your question is: as much or as little as you need to control the supply of healing potions and artifacts ;-)

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:26 pm

Even if you want to look at it with fantastic realism.
The answer is 1) as much as he can and wants to pay 2) hunting is illegal except for local nobility, so the offer would be a piece of rope around your neck.

Uriel718

Postby Uriel718 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:03 pm

Are ducats made of pure (mint) gold in the current edition?

The Aventurian Almanac states: "Traders regard some coins as less trustworthy because their precious metal content is too low. In contrast, Middenrealmish ducats, gold lumps from Bornland, doubloons from Al’Anfa, and the coins of the dwarves are regarded as especially secure currencies." So ducats are secure currencies, which indicate a high gold content, but it is not mentioned that they are made of pure gold.

In the World of Aventuria, from the previous English translated Dark Eye edition, it is stated that: "The most widely used currency of Aventuria remains the currency of the Middenrealm, which is based on the ducat of 1 ounce of pure (mint) gold."

If that is indeed the case, than a gold bar (the Good Delivery gold bar, which is the most commonly used by central banks and bullion dealers, and weighs about 12.4 kg or 439 ounces) would be worth 439 ducats. 1 kilogram of gold would be worth 35 ducats and 1 gram would be worth 0.35 silverthalers. For that price you could buy vegetable stew and a mug of beer at an Aventurian tavern.

For comparison. 1 gram of gold is worth 35€ today which can get you a bit more than a bowl of cheap soup and a mug of cheap ale. But of course, as the Almanac states: "Distribution of resources and manufacturing processes differ in Aventuria in most cases from those on Earth, so determining prices can be difficult. We put much thought into creating and balancing our price lists for playability, but it is not possible to use them to derive a working simulation of the Aventurian economy. Nevertheless, we hope that they help make the game enjoyable."

Aprewett

Postby Aprewett » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:41 am

How about finding the retail value of fur clothing, food with meat ect and then roughly halve that as the wholesale price a end user craftsperson would pay. Adjust for how long that end user has to spend working on it to get a finished product. Adjust for some basic maths that says, how much income does said craftsperson want to make to live and how many end products does he have to sell to cover this income and expenses. Adjust for any expensive alchemical or other items to get a finished product. Talking a local economy, no long portage.
Is there no guild system i the setting that would regulate such commerce?

Uriel718

Postby Uriel718 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:20 am

Well, it seems that in my research into the game animal value matter, I made a rather big oversight. I completely missed the information in the bestiary. I have no idea how could I have missed it, but the bestiary provides loot info for most animals. Now that info doesn't completely answer my question, but the calculations are rather simple.

Crowned stag, for example, has the following loot: 110 rations of meat, fur (10 silverthalers), trophy (antlers, 15 silverthalers). Now the Core Rules states: "A typical package of provisions (one ration) is enough to feed one person for one day. One ration of items hunted or scavenged in the wild is an equivalent amount of food." And one days provisions (one ration) weighs 3 pounds and is worth 0.5 silverthaler. So one average crowned stag's meat would be worth 55 silverthalers add to that the 10 for furs and 15 for antlers, and you get a value of 80 silverthalers.

On the other hand. 70 pounds of beef leg is worth 120 silverthalers, so 3 pounds (one ration) is worth 5 silverthalers, which is tens times the price of one 3 pound ration.So if we could calculate the price difference between beef leg and crowned stag meat, we could come up with an alternative total value for crowned stag.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:37 am

a ration probably isnt 3 pounds of raw fresh meat, but dried meat, sausage etc. so thats at least twice the amount of raw material. Of course stag would be worth more, in theory. But again, thats nothing you could hunt legally in most places. And if you sell illegal game to a merchant, that couldnt sell it as what it is, you wont get full value, besides the risk.

Schlake

Postby Schlake » Mon May 14, 2018 4:53 pm

Uriel718 wrote:For comparison. 1 gram of gold is worth 35€ today which can get you a bit more than a bowl of cheap soup and a mug of cheap ale.

The man I can't pay to clean my yard hates money, so I have to barter with him. I gave him a bicycle the last time. But I've also paid him in Chinese gold pandas, which come as small as 1g of gold. A gram of gold is enough to get an acre of yardwork done. I also bought a sword once, at a Viking event. I think I paid about 3 grams of gold for it.
--Schlake

Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”