Mistranslation in Core Rules (Binding of the Staff)

Denshi

Mistranslation in Core Rules (Binding of the Staff)

Postby Denshi » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:20 pm

Found a mistranslation in the “Binding of the Staff” enchantment (Core Rules page 276):
German source wrote:Einzig elementares Feuer, das heißer brennt als ein Drachenodem oder ein IGNIFAXIUS, oder aber gezielte Antimagie können ihn zerstören.

Official English translation wrote:Only a directed anti-magic spell, an Ignifaxius spell, or an elemental fire burning hotter than a dragon's breath can destroy it.

Correct English translation wrote:Only elemental fire—burning hotter than a dragon's breath or an Ignifaxius spell—or a directed anti-magic spell can destroy it.

The translator seems to have assumed a comma where there is none in the German source. It's a difficult sentence to translate into English. The German language has this bad habit of packing too much information into one sentence. Perhaps this one should be split into two.

To clarify: The Ignifaxius spell can not destroy a staff enchanted with the “Binding of the Staff” enchantment.

I hope this mistranslation will not make its way into Magic1 because there are similar enchantments in that book.

Morgoth

Re: Mistranslation in Core Rules (Binding of the Staff)

Postby Morgoth » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:55 pm

Interesting, thanks for posting this. This makes a lot of difference; basically with the current translation any mage with ignifaxius can destroy another mages staff by casting the spell enough times that it overcomes the staff's hardness. With your translation the staff is immune to ignifaxius.

Can we get an official clarification?

Thrar

Postby Thrar » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:20 am

Eric USNA

Postby Eric USNA » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:43 pm

From Kevin:

An Ignifaxius spell cannot affect a mage staff. Change the Effect text for Binding of the Staff (Core Rules, page 276) to the following:

Binding of the Staff
Effect: This is the first staff enchantment cast on a mage’s staff, as it serves to bind the staff to the mage. The enchantment renders the staff unbreakable, but the wood retains its flexibility. Only a directed anti-magic spell, or elemental fire burning hotter than a dragon’s breath or an Ignifaxius spell, can destroy it. Though it is a magical weapon, the staff cannot be enchanted with rituals like Arcanovi or other spells. Binding a staff has a one-time cost of 2 permanent AE. A mage can be bound to only one staff at a time but may try to break the connection to an existing staff in order to bind a new one. When a mage dies, the staff loses all permanent AE and all of its magic after 24 hours.

Aprewett

Postby Aprewett » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:26 am

What am i missing here. You write in the rules, can destroy it, but you are starting the post saying it cannot?

Morgoth

Postby Morgoth » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:14 am

Aprewett wrote:What am i missing here. You write in the rules, can destroy it, but you are starting the post saying it cannot?

That's not what the official translation above is saying; reread it carefully. It says an elemental fire burning hotter than an ignifaxius spell can destroy it.

Thanks for the clarification Eric; I know you have a lot on your plate but perhaps also poke the higher-ups a bit to put out an official errata doc for the core book first then all the translated supps thus far (and eventually incorporate it into the PDFs and latter printings of hardcopies)

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:56 pm

That sentence is very strangely composed. I've reread it several times and still didn't understand it.
Sentence would be a way more clear if it was written like this:

Only a directed anti-magic spell, or elemental fire burning hotter than a dragon’s breath or burning hotter than an Ignifaxius spell, can destroy it.

It's three words more, but this way there is no ambiguity.
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

Denshi

Postby Denshi » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:44 pm

MadBeard wrote:Only a directed anti-magic spell, or elemental fire burning hotter than a dragon’s breath or burning hotter than an Ignifaxius spell, can destroy it.

That doesn't sound like "proper" English to me.

The sentence (even in German) is prone to misinterpretation. That's why I used em dashes instead of commas in my translation.
However, the official translation has to keep consistent wording and style. IMHO the current official correction is fully sufficient.

Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”