Are You Going To Use The New Combat Rules?

Schlake

Re: Are You Going To Use The New Combat Rules?

Postby Schlake » Tue May 28, 2019 11:34 am

Dyvim wrote:What sort of character can be completely useless during a fight?

I made my character around all the cool looking stuff that appeals to the 12 year old inside me. I have a beautiful egg born cat witch whose back story is that she is good at orgies and cooking. Plus, I didn't really understand the rules when I made her. My combat stats top out at a 11, so my hit is 13. I have a dagger, and a dodge of 8. I've proven, over many combats, to be useless enough that I don't even try anymore. Except for last night. Our blessed one wasn't there, so I had to fight and couldn't just hide behind the giant Thorwallian woman. I got bit by ghouls many times, and hit one once for 3 points of damage.

My *next* character, if this one ever dies, is either a dwarf with weapons skills and armor, or an elf with weapons skills and armor. In the meantime, my useless character is trying to track down a cultist of the Nameless One who is leaving ghouls all over the place and the trade secrets to make chocolate and marshmallows because I'm good at orgies and cooking.
--Schlake

tempest13

Postby tempest13 » Tue May 28, 2019 11:50 am

Compendium 2 has 30 armed and 3 more unarmed styles.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Tue May 28, 2019 4:49 pm

Schlake wrote:
Dyvim wrote:What sort of character can be completely useless during a fight?

I made my character around all the cool looking stuff that appeals to the 12 year old inside me. I have a beautiful egg born cat witch whose back story is that she is good at orgies and cooking. Plus, I didn't really understand the rules when I made her. My combat stats top out at a 11, so my hit is 13. I have a dagger, and a dodge of 8. I've proven, over many combats, to be useless enough that I don't even try anymore. Except for last night. Our blessed one wasn't there, so I had to fight and couldn't just hide behind the giant Thorwallian woman. I got bit by ghouls many times, and hit one once for 3 points of damage.

My *next* character, if this one ever dies, is either a dwarf with weapons skills and armor, or an elf with weapons skills and armor. In the meantime, my useless character is trying to track down a cultist of the Nameless One who is leaving ghouls all over the place and the trade secrets to make chocolate and marshmallows because I'm good at orgies and cooking.

While witches can be quite dangerous in combat, its not necessary for them to fill that role. Thats the beauty of TDE, that you might find your place way outside of combat, and still be supported by fluff as well as rules to be useful.
I love the compendium 2 for this. profane non fighters get so many toys to help out.

Schlake

Postby Schlake » Tue May 28, 2019 8:44 pm

Bosper wrote:While witches can be quite dangerous in combat, its not necessary for them to fill that role. Thats the beauty of TDE, that you might find your place way outside of combat, and still be supported by fluff as well as rules to be useful.
I love the compendium 2 for this. profane non fighters get so many toys to help out.

I made my stats by listing all the spells I wanted to see which stats should be high. That also happened to correspond to the perception skill. One more skill point and I can get QL1 on three 20s. I'm quite useful for searching for things.
--Schlake

bluedragon7

Postby bluedragon7 » Tue May 28, 2019 9:08 pm

Schlake wrote:. One more skill point and I can get QL1 on three 20s.

No you can’t, that would be a botch

Schlake

Postby Schlake » Tue May 28, 2019 9:27 pm

I know. It's so unfair! :(
--Schlake

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:58 am

if your attributes are high enough you dont have to roll for QL1, or maybe even better. 13/13/13 unlocks routine checks

Morgoth

Postby Morgoth » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:14 pm

Bosper wrote:if your attributes are high enough you dont have to roll for QL1, or maybe even better. 13/13/13 unlocks routine checks

Yeah but you still have to roll in combat, and still have to roll for spells.

Can you give some examples of what things are available for profane (non magical right?) characters in Compendium II, aside from the fighting styles?

Dyvim

Postby Dyvim » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:45 am

Morgoth wrote:Can you give some examples of what things are available for profane (non magical right?) characters in Compendium II, aside from the fighting styles?

Assassination rules :)
Book studying
Panic rules
New poisons and diseases and rules for treating them
Rules for lifestyle
Rules for building houses
New professions and archetypes (lots of them)

Schlake

Postby Schlake » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:23 am

HOUSES! I want a house! I need a place to cook and distill!
--Schlake

Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”