Aventuria Magic I: Focus Rule on Lessions

Morgoth

Aventuria Magic I: Focus Rule on Lessions

Postby Morgoth » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:54 pm

Okay I have some questions about the Focus I rules regarding Lessons in Magic of Aventuria (pg 73 english pdf) as I find them unclear.

First, do the Cirricula & the Guideline table (archoconservative, Traditional, etc) complement one another? So if I have a Gareth Academy Mage character who have an Archoconservative Guideline, that means i can make ZERO changes to their starting spellworks? But if I have a Guild Mage profession that is from a Freethinking Academy I can make upto 5 changes in starting spellworks, swapping from either the standard spell list and/or the electives?

Second: I don't understand the modifications to skills (pg 74, third paragraph on the right column). It says you can only change a professions skill by +2; I take it that means a spell or skill. However can I then further modify those skills using left over APs during character generation after selecting the Profession package?

Third: Following up form the second point, after selecting profession all PCs have left over APs to modify their characters. Can I only choose spellworks from the Standard List and the Academy Elective packages only or can I choose any spellworks from the core book or Magic of Aventuria that are from Tradition Guildmage?

Fourth: Gareth Academy mages are stated to be battlemages skilled with lances of fire and fireballs. However they do not get Ignasphero as part of their Profession Package, or their Electives Package. Ignasphero is also not part of the Standard Spellwork list. So how then are Gareth mages supposed to learn Ignasphero, something the flavor text states they are skilled at??

Clarification on the above will be most appreciated.

Finally, I find these set of Focus Rules to be quite restrictive. I always thought Professions were guidelines, meant to speed up char gen and provide flavor and examples of character types in the world. But now if I use this set of Focus Rules I am severely restricted in spellwork choice; I have to keep the spells the profession starts with or swap out only a few depending on the Guild Mage educational institution/academy's Guideline. Even after choosing a profession when I use my leftover APs I can still only take spells from the standard list & the electives.

On the other hand I do enjoy the flavor Mage Academy's bring and want to differentiate mages from different academies. So, in my own games I'm going to houserule that any Mage from a certain academy or tutor (who chooses an Academy/Magic Style) must follow the restricted spell list at character generation, & the possibly the standard spell list as well. Otherwise they are free to switch out any/all spells from their profession as they wish from the standard list or electives. Depending on the players desire or need, if they can justify it I may allow them to choose spells outside of these options if they really want it for their character as long as they don't take a spell from restricted list (so no Skellatarius for a mage from the Donnerbach Academy!)

Thrar

Re: Aventuria Magic I: Focus Rule on Lessions

Postby Thrar » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:11 am

My understanding is that the academies teach a curriculum that's more or less fixed (depending on their Guideline), similar to many RL universities.

1. The Sword and Staff academy is archconservative and has no elective spellworks, so only the the spellworks from the standard package on p75 are taught there, excluding those listed as restricted on p77.
  2. You can adjust some skills from the professions package (here on p203) by +/-2, depending on where your character's study focus lay. You can additionally spend AP to represent things learned from extracurricular activities etc., as with any character during creation.
  3. At any given academy you can only learn spells taught there, i.e. non-restricted standards and electives. For any other spellworks, as GM I'd be interested in a plausible in-game explanation of how your character learned it.
  4. Are you referring to the fluff text on p88? I agree that it's an unfortunate phrasing, but I think the point the text is trying to make is that these are battle mages and have certain behaviors. A proper battlemage will further their studies after graduation and pick up more spells then (e.g. from Punin), especially for demanding and rare spells like Ignisphaero.

Most professions are guidelines because if e.g. your character is a hunter, there are thousands of ways he could have learned that in different ways. If your character however is a graduate from a specific institution, then there are specific things they learn there. This is a difference between a formal academic curriculum and more informal vocational training. Of course if you want a specific spellwork and your GM agrees, it's perfectly fine to say that in your game world, academy X teaches spellwork Y in addition to what's listed, or that a guest lecturer was there for a few years teaching it.

After graduation, guild mages can pick up whatever spellworks they like, limited only by their morals and possibly guild restrictions. The challenge is finding a teacher or book to learn from, and spending the significant monetary and time cost to learn it.

tempest13

Postby tempest13 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:43 pm

I believe that in theory you can learn any spell that is not in the restricted category for your college of magic. However any not listed in the general or elective categories are purchased at normal cost above and beyond the package cost for your character. I.e. they are additional and subject to gamemaster approval. In my game you could have ignisphearo at a additional cost if you can give me an adequate reason for your character having learned it in addition to your normal spell selection. Frankly the only spells I would be concerned about are the ones in the 3rd magic book that give immortality or time travel among a few other things.

So to paraphrase lessons allow you to change your profession in limited ways. The lessons do nothing about what you spend additional adventure points on.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:59 am

tempest13 wrote:I believe that in theory you can learn any spell that is not in the restricted category for your college of magic. However any not listed in the general or elective categories are purchased at normal cost above and beyond the package cost for your character. I.e. they are additional and subject to gamemaster approval. In my game you could have ignisphearo at a additional cost if you can give me an adequate reason for your character having learned it in addition to your normal spell selection. Frankly the only spells I would be concerned about are the ones in the 3rd magic book that give immortality or time travel among a few other things.

So to paraphrase lessons allow you to change your profession in limited ways. The lessons do nothing about what you spend additional adventure points on.

RAI the lessons do exactly that. They are meant to represent what you can learn at an academy and to depict that some are more restrictive than others. After creation you can do whatever you want of course

Morgoth

Postby Morgoth » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:20 am

Bosper wrote:
tempest13 wrote:I believe that in theory you can learn any spell that is not in the restricted category for your college of magic. However any not listed in the general or elective categories are purchased at normal cost above and beyond the package cost for your character. I.e. they are additional and subject to gamemaster approval. In my game you could have ignisphearo at a additional cost if you can give me an adequate reason for your character having learned it in addition to your normal spell selection. Frankly the only spells I would be concerned about are the ones in the 3rd magic book that give immortality or time travel among a few other things.

RAI the lessons do exactly that. They are meant to represent what you can learn at an academy and to depict that some are more restrictive than others. After creation you can do whatever you want of course

By 'after creation' do you mean the left over APs (adventure points) you have left or do you mean purchase them using earned APs after the game has begun?

Also, going with the Gareth Mage as an example, the Academy is Archoconservative, meaning you cannot switch out any of the spells from the starting profession. That means you have to take all the spells from the profession correct?

And what about Restricted spells of an Academy? Could you learn those using your leftover APs during character creation after selecting a profession but before the game has begun?

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:24 am

Morgoth wrote:
Bosper wrote:

By 'after creation' do you mean the left over APs (adventure points) you have left or do you mean purchase them using earned APs after the game has begun?

Also, going with the Gareth Mage as an example, the Academy is Archoconservative, meaning you cannot switch out any of the spells from the starting profession. That means you have to take all the spells from the profession correct?

And what about Restricted spells of an Academy? Could you learn those using your leftover APs during character creation after selecting a profession but before the game has begun?

I'm talking after the game has begun. Before you are restricted by your academy and the profession. If you learn the restricted spells afterwards you could get frowned upon by your academy or even guild, depending on severity. You would need a very good excuse to learn demonic spells and ever work with anyone from Gareth again. That bridge would be burned.
So yes a mage from Gareth will begin his game with more or less the same spells as all of his classmates. Thats their way. And if he wants to continue his career in Gareth, for example as a Arrow of Light, he wont break the rules afterwards as well. They are the most extreme example when it comes to this though.

Return to “Rules Questions (TDE)”