Some help with names and dates

Aprewett

Some help with names and dates

Postby Aprewett » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:29 am

Please, some help working out the dates and details of the people at the end of the second column page 5 of The white lake. Some dates and futher detail would have been good included or is it covered somewhere else. I really dont want to be negative person here, and I have voiced my disappointment in the past that some info in the English version seems to rely on previous publication but how is one supposed to make sence of that. My character who was born in the country could have been involved but not sure of any dates.

HEX the Dark

Re: Some help with names and dates

Postby HEX the Dark » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:12 am

What do you need more info about?
In the german version there isn't much more info either. In older publications there isn't much as well, the whole story line is more or less new. The little bit more info there is is shrouded in mystery and secret, so even an adventurer from the born land probably doesn't now more either.
Never trust a smiling gamemaster

Shinxirus

Postby Shinxirus » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:19 pm

Jucho of Elkinnen is detailed some pages further into the adventure. The great pilgrimage was a convention adventure back in 2013 i think. Other than that, I don't think many of the german players know a lot about it either - the only place its been mentioned is in the herald. It took place in 1035, so roughly five years before The White Lake. Seeing how an experienced hero is 16+1d3 years old as per core rulebook, it's unlikely that he would have been involved. Linjan of Elenau will be abroad during most of the campaign, fighting alongside Rohaja in the tobrian campaign against Haffax. Both of these things are given little information about for the same reason: not to screw new players over, but because they aren't of much significance to the current state of things.

Aprewett

Postby Aprewett » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:29 pm

Thanks, a date thank the maker. He still may have gone as squire type role.
But you see my annoyance surely
If they had only published a small supplimentry setting guide with some history, glossary of important npc with dates. It took me several reads to realise that there are two Juchos! Where is the break down of the Kindgom government, who the current Marshal is, what does the Steward control. Its just holes, and a welter of names buried in text.
Its taking soooo many reads of this adventure to try and get all the npc names in my head sorted. The back history clear. If I did not care about the success of the game as I enjoy it I would not put myself out there writting what feels like derogatory posts. I just wish they had put out a document to cover those details and clear up the setting. No other english version refs have been posting about this, so I can only assume they dont care and will just ignore the fluff, or no one else is planning to run the campaign. So I think I am done writting about this and just going to move forward in silence. If I cant fathom out the fluff, I shall ignore.
PS, to mention that not much is known about something, then why put it in the book, it does not help me draw my player into the setting with cool back story moments, to make the setting shine, to add depth, to help answer questions across the table, to present it in game when talking to an npc who can let slip some history and come alive instead of being 2 dimensional...
Thanks for your help again.

Shinxirus

Postby Shinxirus » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:57 am

Hmm... In german there actually was a small pdf supplement released together with TWL... not sure why they didn't release it in english.

The current Noble Marshal is Nadjesha of Lionsford, as it says on page 5. You can find the same info in the Almanac as well. She will be detailed in "The Green Army", when she first becomes relevant to the campaign, as will Jucho of Dallenthin. The Bornland isn't actually a kingdom (not sure why they translated it like that) but a noble republic. Every five years the bronnjars elect one from their midst to become Noble Marshal and act as a designated ruler, although the Marshal is rather dependent on the bronnjars, much more than say empress Rohaja.

You and I are obviously players that enjoy fluff and background very much, but you must understand that to other players, it may be more appealing to be able to just start playing without having to read up on background from 10XX - 10XX first. The good news: that's a problem that will resolve itself! As the living history progresses and more supplements are published in english, you will soon have as much background reading material as you wish :D

Aprewett

Postby Aprewett » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:29 am

Thanks again. Every little detail helps. I dont like being at the table and unable to answer a players query. Within reason, it has to be something that they conceivably would know. Or it comes out in interactions.

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:47 pm

Shinxirus wrote:Hmm... In german there actually was a small pdf supplement released together with TWL... not sure why they didn't release it in english.

If you mean this:

Theater Knights Campaign
Background Reference Material and Glossary of Bornian Terms
By Niklas Forreiter and Daniel Heßler

it is already released in English.

You can download it from ulisses-us.com
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

Return to “Setting Discussion (TDE)”