So, the Shadowlands

Morgoth

So, the Shadowlands

Postby Morgoth » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:53 pm

Ok can anyone give me a primer on the Shadowlands, circa where they stand in 5e? Because from what I gather (and I could be wrong or confused) this is an area that contains demons, dark mages, necromancers, etc and it is smack in a substantial corner in Aventuria. Why is it there, what caused it and why isn't all of Aventuria uniting to take down all the evil in there?

I mean, if all nations know there is a border that contains a horde of evil things that want to eat them why wouldn't they combine their armies and their magics and their blessed ones to cleanse it once and for all?

Morgoth Feuerklinge

Re: So, the Shadowlands

Postby Morgoth Feuerklinge » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:42 am

Ok. That's a long story. I'll try to keep it short. It starts with the "invasion of the damned". Borbarad, a half god and twin of Rohal the white, could be freed from the limbus with several powerful rituals. In one of them the desert of Dragenfeld was created. Borbarad, the most powerful black magician of all time and carrier of the Demon Crown, conquered large parts of Aventuria in flight. He made several pacts with arch-demons. Hardly anyone dared to stand up to him. And if he did, with any luck, he just lost his life. Under him came the worst and most wicked people together, who Aventuria knowns, including Galotta, Rhazzazor, Helme Haffax, Dimiona, Glorana and Xeraan. Many heroes lost their lives. Even Rohal the White (the most powerful white mage of all time).

Driven by the seven drawn, more and more countries and peoples joined forces against Borbarad (to play in the G7 campaign). This culminated in the 3rd Battle of the Demons at the Troll Gate (Wall of Death). In this Battle a hero could destroy the Demon Crown by a divine diversion. Borbarad was torn to the end of time and his most faithful servants collected the seven splinters of the crown and became his successors (heptarchs).

Since then, the free countries, heroes and other groups have been trying to reclaim the black lands. This was also very successful, even if it took several decades. This can be played in the twilight of splinters campaign.

Not everything has been reconquered 100% yet. There are three reasons for this. Firstly, the lands are still so polluted by the influence of demons that it will again take decades to rehabilitate the country. Secondly, the recapture required so much blood that there was simply no resources to recapture more parts. And the last one, the orcs used the weakness of the Middenrealm and invaded their empire.

But nevertheless in the meanwhile the most of the heptarchs are dead.

For me, the Borbarad campaign and everything around Borbarad has been the best so far.

btw: my avatar is the symbol of Borbarads flagg... seven-jet demon crown (hmmm, I hope seven-jet is translated correct)
Last edited by Morgoth Feuerklinge on Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please excuse my bad English, I'm a beginner.

TDE since: 1998
Current TDE rule set: 4.1
Played adventures: 55

Shinxirus

Postby Shinxirus » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:42 am

Morgoth wrote:Ok can anyone give me a primer on the Shadowlands, circa where they stand in 5e? Because from what I gather (and I could be wrong or confused) this is an area that contains demons, dark mages, necromancers, etc and it is smack in a substantial corner in Aventuria. Why is it there, what caused it and why isn't all of Aventuria uniting to take down all the evil in there?

I mean, if all nations know there is a border that contains a horde of evil things that want to eat them why wouldn't they combine their armies and their magics and their blessed ones to cleanse it once and for all?

As Morgoth (the other one) wrote, there has been substantial progress in reclaiming the shadowlands. However, remember that Aventuria is a much more realistic world than other fantasy settings. Wars take a tremendous cost in lives and resources, and it takes time to recover from one campaign before the next can be planned. The last campaign against the Shadowlands was Rohajas campaign against Haffax 1039/40 (the current date), which eventually resulted in his defeat, and saw combattants from other realms too. In fact, the absence of most noble Bronnjars in the Bornland is a central plot point in the Theater Knights campaign. For now however, the realms of Aventuria simply must recover manpower and food before another campaign can be waged.

Morgoth Feuerklinge

Postby Morgoth Feuerklinge » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:55 am

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh, I'm the 'other one' :lol:
Please excuse my bad English, I'm a beginner.

TDE since: 1998
Current TDE rule set: 4.1
Played adventures: 55

Return to “Setting Discussion (TDE)”