Female orcs and life outside an oppressive culture

zalamx

Female orcs and life outside an oppressive culture

Postby zalamx » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:12 am

I know, another post about those pesky black pelts, I just love them too much I guess :P

I was wondering if orc females ever try to escape their lives in the oppressive culture they are born into (since from what I've read orc women are treated as little more than breeding stock and possessions, not even given names) and try to forge a new life amongst humans, elves, dwarves, goblins or any other race that would give treat them better than their own males.
Canadian DSA/TDE player since 2017!

bluedragon7

Re: Female orcs and life outside an oppressive culture

Postby bluedragon7 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:16 am

No ;)

HEX the Dark

Postby HEX the Dark » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:07 am

Yes. But.

The runaway female orc makes for a good backstory, but there are a few things to consider.
Since they're basically cattle and household slaves they're not proficient in fighting or anything useful except maybe husbandry and primitive housekeeping.
The orclands are harsh, so it's quite hard to get away from them.
There is nothing of the notion of "let's run away, the humans will treat us better" within the female orcs. I doubt they'll even know much about the humans at all. So your char would need a really good incentive to run away, something to spark the idea in the first place.
And lastly, even as a female orc, you'd probably be killed right away if found anywhere in the middenrealm for example.
Last edited by HEX the Dark on Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never trust a smiling gamemaster

zalamx

Postby zalamx » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:17 am

Oh absolutely, I'm just curious on the idea of female orcs possibly running off for a possible different life. I'd wager that goblins would be their best bet as they are on friendly terms and wouldn't require making a long trek to places like Thorwal or Festum.

I figured going to Middenrealm or the Salamander Stones would be a good way for wayward orc ladies to get turned into pin cushions by the locals. ;)

HEX the Dark

Postby HEX the Dark » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:49 am

zalamx wrote: I'd wager that goblins would be their best bet as they are on friendly terms and wouldn't require making a long trek to places like Thorwal or Festum.

They're not really on friendly terms. The Goblins are just as oppressed by the orcs as anyone else, if not even more so.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:56 am

If you would enjoy to play a dimwitted piece of cattle, than do it. they probably dont even know their own language in more than very basic terms. Running off would need to know enough to even hope for something different. A female orc probably doesnt believe or think about the possibility of anything but her live in the camp.

HEX the Dark

Postby HEX the Dark » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:31 pm

Orc women aren't dumb, they're just very oppressed. Kupfermond (Coppermoon) for example managed to run away and gain some status. Given, she's the only female orc to do till now, but this could change. She's actively trying to found a caste for women, so there's that. Could be a starter.
Last edited by HEX the Dark on Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zalamx

Postby zalamx » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:27 pm

Kupfermond could make a good basis for a female orc character (whether an NPC or PC) in a Svelt or Orkland campaign. The character could be a disciple/apprentice of the Rikai priestess.

bluedragon7

Postby bluedragon7 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:33 am

She is enlightened by her god, and a hero might take her example but the general Ork female would not even think about it. That’s why no is the correct answer if you ask if an female Ork ( not a special one like her) would ever do this.

zalamx

Postby zalamx » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:49 am

I understand, from what I've read on Kupfermond was kidnapped and taken from her tribe, she didn't run away on her own, then returned to her people so there is no examples or precedent of any female orcs running away from their tribes, at least none that survived doing so.

That's why I brought up the possibility of any sort of female orc characters created by myself or any players/GMs I game with could be disciples or apprentices of Kupfermond to keep things in line with established lore.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TDE)”