Currency Question

Thrar

Re: Currency Question

Postby Thrar » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:00 am

The almanac lists lump (ducat), penny (silverthaler), and slightling (haler). Same value as middenrealmian currency.

arkobla conn

Postby arkobla conn » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:42 am

Thrar wrote:The almanac lists lump (ducat), penny (silverthaler), and slightling (haler). Same value as middenrealmian currency.

Yes - And I wasn't making the connection between Batz and Lump. The mod also mentioned Farthing as well. I took that to be roughly equivalent to Slightling - although Penny in america is the lowest form of currency, so we are naturally confused by denominations 'lower' than a penny.
With Regards,
Arkobla Conn

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:37 am

the "original" penny was a silver coin in medieval britain, that was made after the example of the karolingian denar , so it makes sense to take this as a currency in the translation, i would have prefered to not translate it at all though. That is true for a lot of cases and names in TDE 5th.

I dont think that Batzen, Groshen and Deut are so extremely more hard to get than lump, penny and slightling. The sound alone would fit the setting of the Bornland way better.

HEX the Dark

Postby HEX the Dark » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:12 pm

Considering the likliness, russian or baltic currencies could be used for names as well.
Never trust a smiling gamemaster

arkobla conn

Postby arkobla conn » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:11 am

Bosper wrote:the "original" penny was a silver coin in medieval britain, that was made after the example of the karolingian denar , so it makes sense to take this as a currency in the translation, i would have prefered to not translate it at all though. That is true for a lot of cases and names in TDE 5th.

I dont think that Batzen, Groshen and Deut are so extremely more hard to get than lump, penny and slightling. The sound alone would fit the setting of the Bornland way better.

completely agree - Batzen, Groshen and Duet as monetary units have nothing to 'clash with' as an American - where the words Lump (feels like 'blob of something', Penny (our lowest currency unit) and slightling (the best them) immediately "mean" something to each of us - meanings that don't make sense in the context of Bornland currency.
With Regards,
Arkobla Conn

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:25 pm

Well they did translate Batzen with lump once because thats what the german word Batzen means. a chunk of something. in this case gold.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TDE)”