Looking for Input - Noble Campaign

bluedragon7

Re: Looking for Input - Noble Campaign

Postby bluedragon7 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Again not accurate in multiple ways, Bosper

Regarding stewardship it is stated: Im Mittelreich dürfen magiebegabte Adlige zwar Lehen besitzen, müssen jedoch einen Vogt einsetzen, der die Amtsgeschäfte führt.
So: magic user noblemen may have fiefdoms, but they must appoint a bailiff to officiate.
This Vogt/Bailiff/Stewart is in no way the new „Baron for a generation“ but an employee of the actual Baron.
Even non magical noblemen might use a Vogt/Bailiff/Stewart, for example if they have multiple fiefdoms across the country.

Also there is a clear difference between guildless mages and guild mages: the former do not have to follow guild regulations like „you should always be recognisable as mage“ on the other hand they do not enjoy the protection and benefits the guild offers.
However the rules regarding noblemen and Vogt/Bailiff/Stewart speak of magic user, so as soon as you do get recognised as magic user you have to appoint a Vogt/Bailiff/Stewart.

Thrar

Postby Thrar » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:32 pm

Personally, in a group that isn't intimately familiar with the setting, I wouldn't worry too much about this.

While there are lots of highly specific details in the >30 years of lore, if your players haven't been deeply involved in it I think a fun and engaging story line is more important than getting everything right. Much of this background info isn't available in English anyway, and even in German it'll take a pretty deep dive to make sure everything fully conforms with the established world, as evidenced by the discussion between (apparent) veterans of the game right here.

What wasn't quite clear to me in your initial post is whether this noble is a player character, an NPC, or a GMPC ( :o ). You seem to be concerned with what the rules let you play so I'm guessing she's not an NPC. You also say "my campaign" so I'm guessing you're the GM.
What I'm wondering is, if this is a player character, why are you writing all her backstory and planning her whole life for her? Won't the player have his/her own ideas as to what the character wants and how she develops?

Oldfog

Postby Oldfog » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:44 am

What wasn't quite clear to me in your initial post is whether this noble is a player character, an NPC, or a GMPC ( :o ). You seem to be concerned with what the rules let you play so I'm guessing she's not an NPC. You also say "my campaign" so I'm guessing you're the GM.
What I'm wondering is, if this is a player character, why are you writing all her backstory and planning her whole life for her? Won't the player have his/her own ideas as to what the character wants and how she develops?

Hey Thrar!

It is a player character, and I am the GM - that is correct.

I am actually not writing her backstory, but I need some things clear before I can put the story in motion. How does the world around her works, what does the laws says and how will people (NPCs) generally react.

I've been a GM/DM for 22 years and I like to have a communication with my players. But I also want to run plots where the players can't decide -some- things all by themselves. The player don't know what to expect, and my players really like this. They play their character and their personality around some pre-defined events. We are usually not playing like this. They create their backstory 100%, and they start to play. But this time, I have a great plot in mind, and some things need to be tailored to make it work. The player have agreed to this, and in the group (we are 1 GM and 4 players), that is the only one who have some things tailored. :)

I had a certain plot in mind, inspired from several movies and TV-shows, and I simply asked the player if he wanted to play a noble and the player agreed to this. :)

However...

It was the players choice to be a mage
It was the players choice to be a female
It was the players choice to come from Arania

My idea is simply this:
I am going to run some sessions with the character (and her friend, (another player)), when they are very young - children around the age of 6+ years old. I am going to let her experience some major events in their lives - while she first discovered she had the gift of magic. The life as a young noble girl in Arania, the contrast between the noble and the poor, and the fact that her parents love her but despise her "gift" and tries to hide it from the world.

Further, there will be a major event in a market somewhere in Arania, where she accidentaly unleash her magic towards a commoner, and that event will force her parents to send her away to some relatives in a Barony in the MIddenrealms. Later, those relatives and those closest to the succession will later die (in an accident or murder I don't know yet) leaving the young girl as the heir to the barony, finding herself alone in a strange world with only her friends. We will play this game a little, then she will be overthrown by [some/something] making her flee from the barony.

And HERE is where the game starts. So everything above is basically her backstory, but we're going to play bits and pieces of it and some events are pre-defined to get her to different events:

The event where she accidentally use her magic against a commoner in public will be triggered by me. I know my player and I know how he would act in some situations, and I will take advantage of that and use it to move the story forward. And while the player control his own character, he doesn't control the rules of succession, politics and intrigue.

Also, the character will be told by her parents that she MUST hide her magic and at no cost reveal to the world that she is a magic caster. It's a curse, it's bad, etc, etc. However, I don't know for how long and how the player will manage to hide it, or even if she wants to hide it? I will simply react when she doesn't manage to hide it anymore. :)

So, when she gets exposed as a magic caster in her new barony (time will tell), I will make sure her relatives (not her close family) reacts and tries to overthrow her just because she is a magic caster.

And after they (likely) succeed, she will be on the street with her friend, in - once again - a total different world with different people. And after that, the book is empty, and she have to define her own fate after this.

She could always come back and try to claim back her title of the barony, but I see this is a long term plot. :)

bluedragon7

Postby bluedragon7 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:33 am

If it is about hiding magic abilities that would be better suited to quabalya mages (essentially guild mages in hiding in Arania) or witches in the Middenrealm.
A normal guildmage is educated that he must not ever disguise his status as guild mage and most guildless mages do the same ( as people would give them some of the special rights only guild mages have automatically)
Only very few guildless mages would actively hide their status and how would parents in Arania find one of those in the Middenrealm to teach their daughter magic?
It would be more likely to find a quabalya mage in Arania and hire him as teacher for the daughter and then send both to the Middenrealm

Shinxirus

Postby Shinxirus » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:31 am

Oldfog wrote:
(...) the fact that her parents love her but despise her "gift" and tries to hide it from the world.

Further, there will be a major event in a market somewhere in Arania, where she accidentaly unleash her magic towards a commoner, and that event will force her parents to send her away to some relatives in a Barony in the MIddenrealms. (...)

That does create some break in the origin's logic, though. If her parents hate her magic gift that much, why did they have her trained to become a full mage in the first place ? As for accidentaly unleashing her magic towards a commoner: Is that event supposed to happen when her gift first began to manifest? In that case the effect would likely be rather minor and not really a cause to send her away. If it is to take place after her training, at that point accidental magic manifestations shouldn't really happen anymore.

As bluedragon7 suggested, I would change her background so that her parents belonged to a circle of quabalya mages (basically mages secretly trained in and using the guild magic tradition despite the ban), which then got exposed, forcing her to leave Arania.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TDE)”