Rangers in TDE?

Morgoth

Rangers in TDE?

Postby Morgoth » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:00 pm

Something I have been wondering; are there Rangers in Aventuria?

By ranger I mean a protector of travelers and people who venture off the beaten path; a hunter of the dark things of the woods and forgotten places, a border guard of the frontier who defends the borders of civilization from encroachment by dark things™ of the night.

The two professions who would appear to fit the description of a ranger and have the 'typical' capabilities assumed to be had by rangers are the Elf Wyldrunner and the Human Hunter. Now I prefer the Hunter as I would like to play a non magic using ranger and I can easily tinker with the profession package to get the type of ranger character I like; however what I don't know is if there are rangers in Aventuria. Are there any such characters known to operate in Aventuria, and if so do they have an organization or guild?

bluedragon7

Re: Rangers in TDE?

Postby bluedragon7 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:23 pm

There are sort of. Originally called Grenzjäger or sometimes Grenzreiter they are essentially a solidier with wilderness skills, often employed by provinces or local rulers to guard the more wild borders.
I played one in 4th edition, back then it was an own premade profession, but you can easily make one in 5th by combining the skills of a guard with those of a hunter and then reduce some skills.
Mine was of nivesian ancestry and a magic dilletant with a limited number of spells. He used to help bring groups over the border mountains to the shadowlands to infiltrate those.

HEX the Dark

Postby HEX the Dark » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:47 pm

Just to point that out again: the Grenzjäger/-reiter are not Witcher or DnD Ranger like guys, hunting monsters for money or out of a moral obligation or so. They're employed by the lord of the region to protect it's borders (and hunt bandits and such). They're border patrols and quite profan.

The guys hunting down monsters and evildoers are called heroes ;) And come in many flavors. :P

There are different organisations that could fit in your description, in a broader sense. The Hendgeknights of Albernia ride around and look for trouble. The Order of the Ram defend the Bornland against the weird things of the Transweal, the Order of the Rhodenstein (I guess that's how it's called in english, or will be) in Weiden mans the defenses against the Orks in the northern middenrealm. Roads and the like are patrolled by different groups, being light cavalry, city guards or The Order of the Eagle (I think) in the horasian empire.
What you are looking for are the several different Orders of the church of Rondra. I think the "Order of the Holy Fury of the Godess Rondra" might be the closest you get. They are quite open, mostly laymen and have - aside of blessed ones of Rondra - also magic users in their ranks. They consider themselves to be "the worldly defender against dark forces" and, as far as I can see it, not that detailed described, so you have enough space to get your own ideas in.
And they're called Furyknights. Which is cool.
Never trust a smiling gamemaster

Dany40

Postby Dany40 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:41 am

Where can we find infos about the Order of the Ram ?

HEX the Dark

Postby HEX the Dark » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:53 pm

You should find some int he Theatherknights campaign. Or on the wiki. Or ask here :P

What do you want to know?

Dany40

Postby Dany40 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:58 pm

HEX the Dark wrote:You should find some int he Theatherknights campaign. Or on the wiki. Or ask here :P

What do you want to know?

I’m going to play the Theater Knight campaign in september... so I look for any context information.
If it’s in the campaign no problem :)

HEX the Dark

Postby HEX the Dark » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:00 am

There is, but only towards the end.
Some basic facts maybe?

The Order of the Ram mans some castles and keeps alone the easternmost border of the Bornland - and civilization itself. It's members are (mostly) graduates from the bornish warrior academies, as they have to serve at least one year in the order. There are also scouts and mages in their ranks, although without rank. It's kinda considered the cadre factory of the Bornland, to an extend, and a good way to make contacts and friendships for the future life. But it also has the very real and dangerous mission to protect the Bornland from the dangers of the Transweal.

Dany40

Postby Dany40 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:56 pm

HEX the Dark wrote:There is, but only towards the end.
Some basic facts maybe?

The Order of the Ram mans some castles and keeps alone the easternmost border of the Bornland - and civilization itself. It's members are (mostly) graduates from the bornish warrior academies, as they have to serve at least one year in the order. There are also scouts and mages in their ranks, although without rank. It's kinda considered the cadre factory of the Bornland, to an extend, and a good way to make contacts and friendships for the future life. But it also has the very real and dangerous mission to protect the Bornland from the dangers of the Transweal.

Thanks !! Where can I find deeper insight about Transweal ?

HEX the Dark

Postby HEX the Dark » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:23 pm

Again: in the TK campaign, mostly. It's a rough, densely overgrown mountain range full of supernatural beings, spirits and witches. It's (almost?) impassable, and many who tried to cross it towards the Riesland did not return.

Dany40

Postby Dany40 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:00 am

HEX the Dark wrote:Again: in the TK campaign, mostly. It's a rough, densely overgrown mountain range full of supernatural beings, spirits and witches. It's (almost?) impassable, and many who tried to cross it towards the Riesland did not return.

Thanks !! Let’s hope we’ll have the Magic KS PDFs soon :)

Return to “Setting Discussion (TDE)”