Censorship - The "Blue Pencil" or "Black Tape" in TDE

Thorgarth

Re: Censorship - The "Blue Pencil" or "Black Tape" in TDE

Postby Thorgarth » Sat May 28, 2016 7:01 am

Nborys wrote:
Thorgarth wrote:In any case IF Ulisses actually makes the uncensored digital files available to european, or better, non-american audience, I reckon that would end the discussion.

And why shouldn't those of us in the US that are more open minded or just want the unaltered version not be given the same access to this if it was offered?

Well that answer was given by Ulisses. The product "had" to be altered to enter the american market. In no other market such special considerations had to be implemented. In any case I think if said material was available on-line with due disclaimer and warning regarding the "adult" material (I´m trying very hard to maintain a straight face as I´m typing this) it shouldn´t be a problem either.

colm33

Postby colm33 » Sat May 28, 2016 7:13 am

Will there be any changes in terms of written content being changed or omitted?
Artwork I can sort of understand, but censoring a book THAT heavily would be a point of contention for me.

I would appreciate an official response, as my original question was centered more around this than the artwork.

Eric USNA

Postby Eric USNA » Sat May 28, 2016 10:16 am

I'll see if I can get an exact list. Please be patient with me, as it is a holiday weekend here in the States. I'm going to generally be around, but I can't say for sure how quickly the rest of the team will be responding. As soon as I hear something, I will let you know.

colm33

Postby colm33 » Sat May 28, 2016 10:55 am

Thanks Eric, no rush!

Waylaynder

Postby Waylaynder » Sat May 28, 2016 1:41 pm

I would prefer unedited content. I just feel the finished piece. Be it book,film, piece of music should be released as intended.
You can't please everyone. So be true to the vision and source material.

Eric USNA

Postby Eric USNA » Sat May 28, 2016 5:15 pm

If you'd like to hear the most official word possible, Markus talked about it on the Q&A:

https://www.twitch.tv/ulissesspiele/v/69181370

The short version is this:
    Nipples are now covered (by the original artists)
    The "Whore" profession has been reworked into other things
    A few minor adjustments in translation where terms may have racial connotations in English

He also reaffirmed exactly why we made the decision and pointed out that these changes do not affect anything that is central to the game experience of The Dark Eye.

Thorgarth

Postby Thorgarth » Sat May 28, 2016 5:31 pm

The Whore profession has been reworked?!?! Really... This is obviously self-censorship that not even I think it would be "demanded" to be marketed in the US. I´now even more interested in the English translation (though I own the original spanish 3rd Edition book) of the spanish RPG "Aquelarre", which also has "whore" as a profession. We shall see if they also felt "the need" to rework that...

Besides, the incredulity on Stritter´s face tells you everything you need to know, really!!!

Eric USNA

Postby Eric USNA » Sat May 28, 2016 6:19 pm

Aquellare specifically bills itself as "Dark and Mature." Its content (like the content of other RPGs that have been mentioned) is designed to appeal to fans of that style of play. We're trying to reach a broader audience, and these are the decisions that have been made in order to do that.

Also, as Markus indicated, these elements are just not central to the experience that The Dark Eye is trying to convey. Leaving them in would distract newcomers from what's awesome about the game. He even pointed out specifically that very few people in Germany ever play that profession anyway, so nothing is really lost.

Again, you are welcome to disagree with the decisions, but we believe they are reasonable. And at this point, I feel that I've gone well out of my way to explain our perspective, so unless there's a pressing need for additional comment from me, I'll just refer everyone to Markus's statements in the video as the last official word.

Thorgarth

Postby Thorgarth » Sat May 28, 2016 6:25 pm

Eric USNA wrote:Again, you are welcome to disagree with the decisions, but we believe they are reasonable. And at this point, I feel that I've gone well out of my way to explain our perspective, so unless there's a pressing need for additional comment from me, I'll just refer everyone to Markus's statements in the video as the last official word.

True. This is all the explanation I need to make my decision. Good luck on the "pop" approach to RPG, and may it spread far and wide.

GTStar

Postby GTStar » Sat May 28, 2016 6:31 pm

There are no whore specific rules in that game - so you are free to play one without using a profession. Just take the fiting skills, think of a fitting background story and name it a whore, as you need to. You are free to build every profession you want in the game.

I never thought I would ever write a sentence like this :D

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TDE)”