PDF Error Collection Thread

User avatar
julianwolfe
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon May 23, 2016 5:06 pm

Re: PDF Error Collection Thread

Postby julianwolfe » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:20 am

Not so much an error, but it was brought up in Slack chat that the English text about skill applications seems to infer that there is a hard list of them somewhere. The text may need to be corrected to avoid that misinterpretation.

Eric USNA
Posts: 695
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 1:04 am

Re: PDF Error Collection Thread

Postby Eric USNA » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:54 am

I just want to thank everyone for your contributions to this thread. Our editors have been busily incorporating most of the changes into our final version. As you may have guessed, a few things are less "error" and more "design choice," and I'll talk about those soon.

In the meantime, we're planning on finalizing as much as we can on Monday, June 13, so that the file can go to the printer without delay. Fixes to the PDF can still happen after that, but let's try to fix as much as we can for the print version. Please post anything else you notice this weekend so that we can get those changes in!

-Eric

User avatar
schreinereiner
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 4:04 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA

Re: PDF Error Collection Thread

Postby schreinereiner » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:02 pm

Eric USNA wrote:I just want to thank everyone for your contributions to this thread. Our editors have been busily incorporating most of the changes into our final version. As you may have guessed, a few things are less "error" and more "design choice," and I'll talk about those soon.

In the meantime, we're planning on finalizing as much as we can on Monday, June 13, so that the file can go to the printer without delay. Fixes to the PDF can still happen after that, but let's try to fix as much as we can for the print version. Please post anything else you notice this weekend so that we can get those changes in!

-Eric


I'd like to do a pass this weekend looking specifically at the translation but don't have access to a copy of the German rules. Would it be possible to get one for review?

Eric USNA
Posts: 695
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 1:04 am

Re: PDF Error Collection Thread

Postby Eric USNA » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:11 pm

I hope you understand that I can't just pass that PDF around for free. :)

However, you can buy it on DriveThruRPG:
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/151474/DSA5-Regelwerk-PDF-als-Download-kaufen

User avatar
schreinereiner
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 4:04 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA

Re: PDF Error Collection Thread

Postby schreinereiner » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:18 pm

Eric USNA wrote:I hope you understand that I can't just pass that PDF around for free. :)

However, you can buy it on DriveThruRPG:
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/151474/DSA5-Regelwerk-PDF-als-Download-kaufen


I get that but at the same time I'm investing my time to improve a commercial product I already paid for. I think it's expecting a bit much to invest even more to help find errors.

Any way to get a temporary web-viewable version that access can be disabled to after review? Box.com for example allows web previews of PDFs without the option to download. Link could be disabled on Monday.

Lime2K
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:15 pm

Re: PDF Error Collection Thread

Postby Lime2K » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:25 pm

Page 17, "How Important Are Checks?" sidebar: Missing space; "consequences.The" -> "consequences. The"

A grep search for "\.\S" (without quotes) will find all of these periods without spaces. It's a trick I've had to use myself a few times! ;)

Eric USNA
Posts: 695
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 1:04 am

Re: PDF Error Collection Thread

Postby Eric USNA » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:37 pm

Scheinereiner -

I don't want you to feel that we're expecting anything. We certainly appreciate the fan efforts in this regard, but we're not making anyone work on this. I will look into the temporary link option and let you know later today, but honestly our focus is more on tweaking smaller errors. We're not too worried about the translation choices at this point.

User avatar
schreinereiner
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 4:04 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA

Re: PDF Error Collection Thread

Postby schreinereiner » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:50 pm

Eric USNA wrote:Scheinereiner -

I don't want you to feel that we're expecting anything. We certainly appreciate the fan efforts in this regard, but we're not making anyone work on this. I will look into the temporary link option and let you know later today, but honestly our focus is more on tweaking smaller errors. We're not too worried about the translation choices at this point.


Ok, thanks for investigating that option. I didn't think you're expecting it. Just thought as both German and English native speaker I'd be in a good position to help out. If it doesn't pan out I'll still scour the PDF for other errors. Thanks!

Do you have any plans to run community reviews of draft publications for the other upcoming English products prior to going to print? I think it's a great way to stomp out "bugs".

Flash
Posts: 372
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:39 pm

Re: PDF Error Collection Thread

Postby Flash » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:27 pm

@Eric USNA

Perhaps the editors might find this thread http://www.ulisses-us.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=57 in the rule discussions sub forum interesting as well about the naming of "reroll" and "retry"

Not really a error but it might still be helpful to increase understanding.

thebwt
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:08 pm

Re: PDF Error Collection Thread

Postby thebwt » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:50 pm

Howdy! Awesome first taste of the system.

Page 301 - "Cost Depending on Size" table. Costs say AP (and one says AsP). I believe they should say AE.

-Thanks!
Last edited by thebwt on Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the unofficial slack channel @ https://rpg-talk.com/ , join us in #the_dark_eye


Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TDE)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests