Release schedule update

julianwolfe

Re: Release schedule update

Postby julianwolfe » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:30 pm

Why would anyone want a softcover Bestiary? I understand the Core Rules, but my game store can't move the ones they have in the store because they're really incomplete without the Almanac creatures.

Are you planning on including those in the softcover version, or making the Almanac available in softcover as well?

Eric USNA

Postby Eric USNA » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:35 pm

The Softcover Almanac is currently on the list for a July release.

And yes, the logic is that some people may want digest-sized versions of the core set of books, which includes the Core Rules, the Bestiary, the Almanac, and eventually the Compendium.

I will say I'm a little surprised that people consider the Bestiary incomplete without the Almanac. There's honestly not that much extra for creatures in the Almanac.

julianwolfe

Postby julianwolfe » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:02 pm

It's the most usual stuff that comes up in the adventures all the time that's in the Almanac. From my experiences, your adversaries are usually intelligent creatures, usually humans, and these are the sorts you are going to be rolling skills against to sneak by them, talk to them, or whatnot.

The Bestiary, on the other hand, is a really corner-case book that would require some unusual circumstances to pull creatures out of. There are a very small handful of everyday fauna in there, with the rest being outlandish. The almanac creatures are all useful.

Eric USNA

Postby Eric USNA » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:05 pm

Ah, that makes sense. So the Bestiary really fits a different role for The Dark Eye than similar books do for other games.

Bosper

Postby Bosper » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:37 am

well with a minimum of experience, you wont need a book for humanoids, since the core rules show you how a humanoid at what level of experience can look like (and humanoid races arent that far apart that you couldnt create an orc , goblin or lizard man, just distribute the attributes accordingly). But there are indeed some useful standard opponents in the almanac that may help new GMs and players, orcs, goblins, i think the ogre and troll, and the most common beasts. So yeah having the almanac or the bestiary card set (including the creatures from the almanac) is quite nice.#

Fighting "monsters" really is the exception to the rule in aventuria

Lambert

Postby Lambert » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:55 pm

I have to say that I was rather disappointed with the new schedule.
I had hoped that by now we would have an idea as to what we are doing with Aventurian Heralds, Hero Works adventures and further books like the Compendium.

Also I see the Warring Kingdoms books on there for June which might actually be too soon to have a Kickstarter for the material unless this Kickstarter was starting very soon, judging by the fact that the Alamanc Kickstarter funded over three months ago and is dragging it's heels with very few updates.

Now I still think the material itself is golden. I love everything I got into my hands, and I will continue to support and buy all the Dark Eye stuff that seems sensible to me, but it feels that behind the scenes people might be working on Torg or Crom and good old Dark Eye is getting a little short changed, or there is lots happening that nobody is mentioning to anyone.

Oh well, we will see how much love the Dark Eye gets in the coming months, but at this point though we seem to be more than 14 months behind the German releases with a tendency for that gap to grow rather than shrink.

HEX the Dark

Postby HEX the Dark » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:11 pm

Yeah, that's really something... or rather, it's not. Especially since the material is there! It would just need to be translated. Well, and the layout fitted and a few pics censored. And printed...
14 months is quite long though, considering how enthusiastic everything started. :(
Never trust a smiling gamemaster

Flash

Postby Flash » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:18 am

Delays aside it is still a rather impressive schedule. There are still multiple products coming out every month.

Also while there is no information about Heralds and the hero work adventures (Perhaps the will be used as stretch goals in future kickstarters ?) there is some stuff I didn't expect to see like for example On Aves' Path or stuff that comes much sooner in the English release schedule compared to where it came the German one like for example the digest size Bestiary.

Will be interesting too see how the release schedule beyond July shapes up. The first three rules expansions (Compedium, Armory and Magic I) should come then. The question is how many they manage to do in 2017. I would be happy with two. Only one would be disappointing while three would be awesome.

Personally I hope that we will see a something akin to the monthly video blog updates that Markus Pötz and Michael Mingers do on the German Ulisses youtube channel where they talk about the english version of TDE at least once. They always tell interesting titbits about what went right and what went wrong there. I don't need it monthly but a bigger one in English where they talk about the whole experience they had wit the English release would be nice and probably quite funny experience as I don't know any English RPG company that does this stuff so open as Ulisses does it.

Eric USNA

Postby Eric USNA » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:33 am

Flash wrote:Personally I hope that we will see a something akin to the monthly video blog updates that Markus Pötz and Michael Mingers do on the German Ulisses youtube channel where they talk about the english version of TDE at least once. They always tell interesting titbits about what went right and what went wrong there. I don't need it monthly but a bigger one in English where they talk about the whole experience they had wit the English release would be nice and probably quite funny experience as I don't know any English RPG company that does this stuff so open as Ulisses does it.

This is something we're talking about, so thanks for your thoughts on it. :)

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:08 pm

Eric USNA wrote:
Flash wrote:Personally I hope that we will see a something akin to the monthly video blog updates that Markus Pötz and Michael Mingers do on the German Ulisses youtube channel where they talk about the english version of TDE at least once. They always tell interesting titbits about what went right and what went wrong there. I don't need it monthly but a bigger one in English where they talk about the whole experience they had wit the English release would be nice and probably quite funny experience as I don't know any English RPG company that does this stuff so open as Ulisses does it.

This is something we're talking about, so thanks for your thoughts on it. :)

Nice. That would be great!
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TDE)”