Torg Eternity Quick Start

TorgHacker

Torg Eternity Quick Start

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:11 pm

Hey all,

We're not doing a "quick start" version at this time because frankly, it's just too big! The changes to cosms, rules, and especially the cards means you need far more than a condensed version or quick start could provide to form a true impression of the game. Once it's out and we have more time, we'll take another look, but right now we want to focus on the work our playtesters are doing to make sure all the various moving parts are tweaked and polished.

We also plan to have the full Torg Eternity Corebook PDF available at the conclusion of the Kickstarter. We don’t have a solid date for the Kickstarter launch just yet--we have to look at what other big projects are using Kickstarter at the same time among other things--but our plans are for the spring of 2017.

All that said though, if you are running an event in the next several months, please send a note to Eric and we'll see what we can do for you on a case-by-base basis.

Thanks!
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Plageman

Re: Torg Eternity Quick Start

Postby Plageman » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:07 pm

So I assume that the material shown at GenCon is already out-of-date ?

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:38 pm

Some of the details, yes. The core is pretty much unchanged.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

hawaiianbrian

Postby hawaiianbrian » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:51 am

I do hope they'll reconsider. It would be so great to have a quickstart available for Free RPG Game Day (http://www.freerpgday.com/). I'd run at least three back-to-back games, maybe hell just run them all day. It's a great way to get the word out, and the prime the pump for the official release (which I assume will probably happen at or around GenCon 2017?).

There is a lot to the Torg canon, but I've managed to run one-shots of Torg before by just providing the briefest of info-dumps. Effectively, what does a new player need to know to be able to drop in and experience it?

• Earth was invaded by enemies from foreign "dimensions," who transformed huge swaths of the world to their reality. No one knows why (yet).
• List the genres covered by the full game, but only be more specific about the realm(s) that will be involved in the playtest. Even then, keep it brief. Five sentences. Point out that the characters don't know much more than the players, because this is all too new!
• In those places, things work differently -- tech is higher or lower, sometimes there's magic, miracles, and so on. If something doesn't "belong" in a reality, the local reality will try to prevent it from working, even when that means sometimes violating physical laws.
• If you try to use a "tool" that is more advanced than the local reality allows, you run the risk of getting disconnected from your own reality.
• Include a one- or two-sentence realm synopsis on each character sheet for that character's realm.
• Don't bother putting axioms on the character sheets, but include the axioms for the GM's use along with quick instructions about what to do if someone disconnects while creating a contradiction.

Make sure there's a character that represents at least most of the realms, if not one from each.

Include a quick adventure that takes place in one invading realm and includes enemies from another. The Living Land or Nile Empire is ideal, with some higher-tech enemies to fight. Go with Pan-Pacifica, to avoid any religious objections (to Cyberpapacy) during the playtest.

Mention that the full game will involve card play and many more realms.

Eric USNA

Postby Eric USNA » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:24 pm

We'll have it for Free RPG Day, just not until after the Kickstarter.

And it's more of a question about condensing the rules for first exposure. That's easier if there are people out in the community who at least have a PDF of the full book to refer to. Otherwise, people may think that the truncated versions of rules in a Quick-Start are the actual rules, which is often not going to be the case.

(Hmm. Does this give anything away about our timing? Perhaps...)

hawaiianbrian

Postby hawaiianbrian » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:09 pm

Ah, that's good news. I'm really looking forward to this. Torg: Eternity will be the first Kickstarter I've ever backed.

raezenkane

Postby raezenkane » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:25 pm

This will be the first Kickstarter I have ever backed. I am planning on maxing my Kickstarter donation, then doing one for my son!

carldot34

Postby carldot34 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:38 am

I have backed a few Kickstarters before. I threw £300 at Mutants Chronicles for everything in print and £450 at Conan for literally everything in the KS, including dice, cards and the limited edition bag! I don't back a lot of KSs but I expect Torg will be the next one where I will want everything. I already have every book for 1st edition. :-)

johntfs

Postby johntfs » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:23 pm

I'm really looking forward to this. I think I have everything ever published for TORG up to and including the 4 issue Tharkold Invasion of Los Angeles.

carldot34

Postby carldot34 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:51 am

Pooh, good idea. Just dug them out of storage to reread them. Lol. "Pav scut!"

Return to “Official Timeline and Product Announcements (TORG)”