What defense do I use?

Sir Awesome

What defense do I use?

Postby Sir Awesome » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:37 pm

I am holding a Barrett M82 and shooting it, not swinging it around as a club(not that I believe you could but just wanted to state it for the sake of clarity). Someone runs up to me and attacks me in melee.

Do I use melee weapons or unarmed to defend against that attack?

I am currently assuming that you use unarmed to defend.

TorgHacker

Re: What defense do I use?

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:52 pm

Unarmed.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:14 pm

What about boxing gloves against a sword?
Does the boxer use unarmed to attack but melee to defend? Or unarmed to defend? If unarmed do you take damage if you succeed in blocking the sword?

I only ask because I'm running the Fires of Ra and Brick-knuckle is a nemesis of a PC.
Question everything.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:29 pm

I’m confused, why would the boxer use melee to defend?

There is no “blocking” in the rules. It’s hit or miss, and the details of that are left up to you.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:55 pm

Spatula wrote:I’m confused, why would the boxer use melee to defend?

There is no “blocking” in the rules. It’s hit or miss, and the details of that are left up to you.

I could see where someone may interpret melee defense as defense against melee weapons. I don't see it happen often though.

I do think of melee and unarmed defense as blocking though. Or at least it can be. I don't think of an unarmed person literally parrying a sword with his arm (unless he's that kind of fighter), but I can see him stopping the blade by grabbing the hilt, flipping backwards, or turning his body so the armor deflects the blade (justifying shock damage easily). Cinematically, I describe fights like that.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:01 am

Spatula wrote:I’m confused, why would the boxer use melee to defend?

I always imagine melee defense as parrys and blocks. If you watch a boxing match, half the time people get out of the way, the other half they block body shots with their arms.
Question everything.

ryric

Postby ryric » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:41 am

Our group sometimes gets confused remembering that shield count as melee weapons, so you always defend(in melee) with Melee if you're using a shield, even if you other hand is empty or has a gun.

Blightcrawler

Postby Blightcrawler » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:18 pm

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:I always imagine melee defense as parrys and blocks. If you watch a boxing match, half the time people get out of the way, the other half they block body shots with their arms.

Those are all unarmed defense. It's melee defense if they grab a folding chair and block with that (or any object used to parry or block).

TorgHacker wrote:Unarmed.

I'm confused how "a Barrett M82 and shooting it, not swinging it around as a club" results in unarmed defense. You can used unarmed (and presumably melee) to defend against pistols at melee range? It's not always dodge against firearms?

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:37 pm

Blightcrawler wrote:
GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:I always imagine melee defense as parrys and blocks. If you watch a boxing match, half the time people get out of the way, the other half they block body shots with their arms.

Those are all unarmed defense. It's melee defense if they grab a folding chair and block with that (or any object used to parry or block).

TorgHacker wrote:Unarmed.

I'm confused how "a Barrett M82 and shooting it, not swinging it around as a club" results in unarmed defense. You can used unarmed (and presumably melee) to defend against pistols at melee range? It's not always dodge against firearms?

Page 115 under Physical Attacks:

"The DN is the defender’s dodge for ranged attacks.
In close combat, the DN is melee weapons if the foe
is armed with an appropriate weapon or unarmed
combat if he’s not. Rifles used as clubs count as
appropriate for defense. Crossbows, bows, or
pistols that cannot easily block do not."

The M82 was specifically not being used as a club. Therefore it is not an appropriate weapon for using melee weapons as the defense.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Atama

Postby Atama » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:19 pm

Blightcrawler wrote:I'm confused how "a Barrett M82 and shooting it, not swinging it around as a club" results in unarmed defense. You can used unarmed (and presumably melee) to defend against pistols at melee range? It's not always dodge against firearms?

Actually, you can’t use Dodge against any firearm at melee range. Page 122 of the Core Rules, “Firearms in Melee”:

The defender must resist with his melee weapons (if armed) or unarmed combat (if not). This represents the target’s ability to deflect or interfere with the attacker’s firing hand. Dodge only applies at range.

You’re literally knocking away the gun with your weapon/shield/hand to make it miss. That close up you can’t move fast enough to get out of the way of the shot before it hits you.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”