Maelstrom

Savioronedge

Re: Maelstrom

Postby Savioronedge » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:26 am

Gargoyle wrote:As far as the timing, I agree that we don't need or want a bunch of rules or rulings about timing of what goes first or what interrupts what. Reminds me of old school Magic the Gathering interrupt cards and all those arguments. But I've never had that issue at my table for much in Torg, and definitely not this, because typically the player throws down the Maelstrom as the last card after a Drama and Hero and Coup d grace, etc before the villain soaks.

As one who has Force Spiked the Flash Counter used against my Flash Counter used to block a Counterspell cast on my Counterspell that stopped a spell I don't remember, I can safely say that this kind of thing is wonderful to see...once.

Once.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:10 am

Let the Rule of Cool decide.

I don't think there needs to be a ruling on this, the situations and exceptions get too wild.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:39 am

Savioronedge wrote:
Gargoyle wrote:As far as the timing, I agree that we don't need or want a bunch of rules or rulings about timing of what goes first or what interrupts what. Reminds me of old school Magic the Gathering interrupt cards and all those arguments. But I've never had that issue at my table for much in Torg, and definitely not this, because typically the player throws down the Maelstrom as the last card after a Drama and Hero and Coup d grace, etc before the villain soaks.

As one who has Force Spiked the Flash Counter used against my Flash Counter used to block a Counterspell cast on my Counterspell that stopped a spell I don't remember, I can safely say that this kind of thing is wonderful to see...once.

Once.

Blue was my jam. :)

I guess I actually didn't mind the rule debates in a competitive one on one card game now that I think about it, but TTRPGs are supposed to be a more cooperative experience and those types of arguments are to be avoided IMO. But now my mind is going off on a tangent....magical duels in Torg...I really need to read the Aysle book and think on that. In certain circumstances such as that, the game could actually use more effects like Negation where one can react to cancel or otherwise obviate an effect to get that back and forth feel.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:04 am

So now Maelstrom is still useful if the PCs spend all their possibilities early, can run a good risk:reward ratio regarding their foes or score a legit lucky blow (ie 10s and 20s) as opposed to using it with a planned expenditure of a ton of possibilities and action/drama cards.

vaminion

Postby vaminion » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:33 pm

TorgHacker wrote:Okay, talked about this further with Darrell.

Card play on an action is simultaneous. Normally this doesn't matter. In this case it does. The Malestrom card would prevent the expenditure of the Possibilities, including Hero and Drama cards.

If you want to hit someone with Coup de Grace cards, etc etc...that's fine, because Maelstrom doesn't affect that situation.

I like that ruling a lot. It future proofs against weird interactions that may come up as new cards are added.

Fuzzy

Postby Fuzzy » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:35 pm

FWIW, I 100% agree with Torghacker here.

RAW can justify either ruling, but the plain truth of it is that Maelstrom is incredibly powerful, and should be equally dangerous.

We've only seen it used twice, in probably 30-40 gaming sessions, because it's so damn scary. And it should be. When it is played, everyone - GM and players - should be holding their breath and scared to make the die rolls.

And if you happen to have an UP round in a dramatic scene (good luck with that), and a bunch of Action/Coup De Grace, Supporter, and Second Chance cards... well, more power to you. That happens when the stars align.

Kanaris

Postby Kanaris » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:33 pm

Fuzzy wrote:FWIW, I 100% agree with Torghacker here.

RAW can justify either ruling, but the plain truth of it is that Maelstrom is incredibly powerful, and should be equally dangerous.

We've only seen it used twice, in probably 30-40 gaming sessions, because it's so damn scary. And it should be. When it is played, everyone - GM and players - should be holding their breath and scared to make the die rolls.

And if you happen to have an UP round in a dramatic scene (good luck with that), and a bunch of Action/Coup De Grace, Supporter, and Second Chance cards... well, more power to you. That happens when the stars align.

I agree with my brother Fuzzy on every point and have nothing useful to add :ugeek:

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:45 am

Greymarch2000 wrote:So now Maelstrom is still useful if the PCs spend all their possibilities early, can run a good risk:reward ratio regarding their foes or score a legit lucky blow (ie 10s and 20s) as opposed to using it with a planned expenditure of a ton of possibilities and action/drama cards.

Certainly. When the players can control the timing* of a screw-everybody card, then the power is entirely in the players’ hands.

Nemesis often gets played in a strategic way. The villain is severely wounded, so they gain 3 Possibilities that might not help soak the final wound. Or even nastier, the Pan Pacifica card (Feud, I think) gets played where the villain cannot soak against one person’s damage. Slap Nemesis on the villain to give them 3 Possibilities which can’t be used to soak that one attack.

* At least until I invent an ability that lets the villain steal a card and play it
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”