Reconnection Difficulty

Hawk Knight

Re: Reconnection Difficulty

Postby Hawk Knight » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:36 am

InertiaKitty wrote:Transformed Eidenos Realm Runner, Spirit 15... Mastery in Reality.

And the numbers just keep gettin' bigger...

I think Edeinos transforms into a human. Dean?

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:48 am

Races found only in other cosms, including
edeinos, elves, and dwarves, don’t change race if
they transform, but they may become confused or
crazed by the process.

Page 181. They just become a Core Earth Edeinos, like you might run into at the mall.

InertiaKitty

Postby InertiaKitty » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:34 am

Remember the Eidenos Gone Native archetype from oTorg?
"Whaddaya mean 'Twinkies are even a contradiction in Core Earth'?!?!?"

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:33 am

Correct. The races don't physically transform into other races. They'll lose their racial Perks though since those are restricted by cosm as well.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Ayaron

Postby Ayaron » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:52 pm

utsukushi wrote:Or have a Spirit of 12 and get the Mastery Perk for your Reality Skill! Then make it a Super Skill, Enhanced with "Power" (and limited by, "Only Works when Disconnected") and... you can pretty much Disconnect wherever you want, and get your service hooked back up pronto.

You can call yourself something like "Spirit Of The Nile."

...I... blast. I was totally kidding, but now I think this is a really cool concept. I mean, not with that Limitation, but a Super Reality Skill would not only let you use out-of-Cosm gear almost as freely as a Realm Runner - which is, by itself, a neat idea for a Pulp Hero, since they're naturally curious that way. You'd also Soak Damage like a boss. (And, may I just say, having just found that, I really love the `reality bending' angle on that, instead of the usual `toughness'.)

I'll just add it to my list of Characters I Want To Play... there we go, #68.

Now to go read page 44...

That's great! Except for the Super skill that only works when disconnected. Because any super power is a contradiction when outside of Nile, and you can't create contradictions while disconnected! So that would be useless. And even without the limitation the Super Skill adds just won't be there while disconnected.

:)

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:56 pm

InertiaKitty wrote:Remember the Eidenos Gone Native archetype from oTorg?

Really, really, REALLY hope to see more of those in the future.

Heck, *every* cosm book should have at least one "Invader gone native" archetype, because Core Earth just seduces villains to the Bright Side on a regular basis.

"I had no idea that anywhere could be so ... nice."

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:36 am

Wakshani wrote:

Hopefully with fewer miniguns.

As high schoolers in the early 90s, pre-"He's got a mini-gun!" T2, we didn't know what that was (Jesse Ventura's weapon in Predator is not named, I don't think), and we assumed it was a... miniature gun. That did ungodly damage for some reason. So weird that the Edeinos gone Earther would start with that.

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:19 am

Yeah, and the Tech Prodigy didn't really work (Yesterday, I was chewing lettuce and wondering why Lanala made it taste so bad. This morning I woke up and rebuilt a 1965 Studebaker!) ... but the general concepts are solid. invader gets pole-axed by the awesomeness of the invaded reality, switches sides, and fights back to protect what they've newly seen.

That's a *fantastic* story.

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:48 am

Yeah, and the Tech Prodigy didn't really work (Yesterday, I was chewing lettuce and wondering why Lanala made it taste so bad. This morning I woke up and rebuilt a 1965 Studebaker!)

Well, but that's kind of what Transformation is. It's not so different from the Core Earth auto mechanic Transforming in CP and waking up tomorrow installing hacked cybernetics in people's eyes.

I find the concept stranger with the different races because... I don't really know how canon it is, but my internalized impression of Transformation is that you become "who you would have been, had you lived in that reality." And an Edeinos, for example, flat out couldn't have grown up in Core Earth, so I guess you have to make it, "who you would have been, if Edeinos were a thing and you lived in that reality."

Honestly... I kind of think Races should Transform. But partly that's because I was just this afternoon realizing that I can't have a zookeeper who Transformed into a Warden, because you can't change into an Elf. Le sigh.

Ayaron wrote:That's great! Except for the Super skill that only works when disconnected. Because any super power is a contradiction when outside of Nile, and you can't create contradictions while disconnected! So that would be useless. And even without the limitation the Super Skill adds just won't be there while disconnected.

But since it turns out the Super Skill Perk is just a direct, immediate add to the Skill, I think my Spirit of the Nile is back. It doesn't make sense for that to go away - it was a permanent change, not a temporary add-on. Let's say I take a Skill at +2 at character creation, and then bring it to +4 with Super Skill. And then I buy Rank 5 later, and then, sometime after that, Transform. It doesn't make sense for ranks 3 and 4 to suddenly vanish -- I'm already past those, with a legitimately purchased Rank 5 for 5 XP. And if it doesn't make sense then, then it doesn't make sense if I haven't actually bought that 5th Rank, either. Super Skill is a matter of reaching "levels of competence far faster" -- it's not considered as a bonus, it directly advances the skill, and the Transformation rules specifically state that skill levels stay the same, even if the Skill itself changes.

Kanaris

Postby Kanaris » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:27 am

Wakshani wrote:

Heck, *every* cosm book should have at least one "Invader gone native" archetype, because Core Earth just seduces villains to the Bright Side on a regular basis.

"I had no idea that anywhere could be so ... nice."

OTorg had a few converted eidenos: the OTorg Scrappy Doo, "Skippy", as well as the Nile transformed captain Verdigris, and an archetype for eidenos paladins of Aysle looking like dragonborn. There was also "Elvis" the eidenos, who was kind of silly, but had a tag line that has stuck with me for 25 years: "Baruk Kaah ain't nothin' but a hound dog, cryin' all the time" :lol: The Saar of the Living Land had to endure a lot of humiliation in the OTorg metaplot!

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”