Invoking Miracles

Kanaris

Re: Invoking Miracles

Postby Kanaris » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:38 pm

Putting aside game balance considerations for a moment, I think backlash makes sense for magic and psionics, but less so for miracles. Another way to make the invocation of miracles risky would be that a failure requires a faith check akin to a disconnection check - ie each failed miracle tests the cleric's confidence that their god / power will answer their prayers and a failure in that check requires some action to reconnect with their faith (perhaps just ten minutes of prayer or something more at the GM's discretion).

Stormchild

Postby Stormchild » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:04 pm

This was a rule in oTorg. On a failure the priest had a crisis of faith and lost his ability to invoke miracles until he reattuned with his faith.
I don't make things complicated. That's the way they get, all by themselves.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:32 pm

Stormchild wrote:This was a rule in oTorg. On a failure the priest had a crisis of faith and lost his ability to invoke miracles until he reattuned with his faith.

Which also sucked horribly. It effectively put priests in a succeed-or-else mentality because failing a single miracle could neuter your character for the rest of the adventure. That's when you hope there's travel time to another locale so you can get your miracles back.

In the oTorg games I ran and played, the priests did everything they could to succeed. While failure meant that you fell back to guns or swords, if you weren't strong in that, then you pretty much had to hang back. Maybe intimidate people with your lack of faith.

At least with magic, if you failed, you took damage that went away quickly. With miracles you only had another miracle to help you, and that doesn't work very well if you were the only priest.

I'm grateful for the removal of that. I do agree that taking shock seems a little weird now, but it's consistent.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Kanaris

Postby Kanaris » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:37 pm

Kuildeous wrote: I'm grateful for the removal of that. I do agree that taking shock seems a little weird now, but it's consistent.

Yes, I think this is one of those cases where gameplay is the more important consideration.

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:59 pm

It could've been equivalent to the Pulp Power Minor Limitation - not on any failure, but only on a Mishap, would a Miracle-worker feel that their God actually wasn't listening, and that would make them unable to invoke Miracles for the rest of the Scene while they got their head straight.

That would feel different from just, Backlash for everybody, without being nearly as crippling as it was in oTorg.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”