Reconnection is HARD

earlking

Reconnection is HARD

Postby earlking » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:37 pm

When I first read the reconnection rules, they struck me as too easy. A free chance to reconnect, every round? Why not just hand them a trussed-up High Lord on a platter? Boy, was I wrong.

I had three Storm Knights in a dominant Living Land zone, and two of them disconnected. Not being able to use a possibility point, or play a hero/drama card, meant that they needed to roll a natural 18-20 to reconnect. One of the characters eventually took a couple wounds in the process, so needed a natural 20 to reconnect. Even with the free attempt every round, that never happened. The second player managed to get a Willpower card into play and use that to reconnect.

Amusingly, the third player, a realm runner who would have had the easiest time reconnecting, was the one trying the hardest not to create a contradiction. He rolled a mishap once, but wasn't doing anything contradictory, so he was fine.

I feel like this particular rule change makes the game have more tension. In the past, players would just spend a point to raise a bubble and spend the entire fight without fear of contradiction. That safety net is gone. The Living Lands have become a much scarier place.

Hobbes

Re: Reconnection is HARD

Postby Hobbes » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:00 pm

Pure zones are rough, don't skimp on Spirit, buy up the Reality skill frequently, hang on to Willpower Cards.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:38 pm

And even if you are in a Pure zone with wounds and stymied to the point where you have less than a 5% chance of reconnecting, you have to roll anyway every round. So you better hope you don't get that 1.

Causing contradictions does have its downsides. Some people use the Second Chance cards to hit the villain or cast the spell. They might be best saved until someone disconnects.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:53 pm

When I tried it, we had a badass survivor Tharkold survivor type disconnect in the Living Land on his first roll of his first combat of his first game. Never managed to reconnect for the duration of the combat...because he had spirit of 6 and only 1 add of reality and he didn't want to spend a possibility on it.

So we learned the lesson that was mentioned by Hobbes above, don't skimp on the Reality skill and/or Spirit.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:07 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:When I tried it, we had a badass survivor Tharkold survivor type disconnect in the Living Land on his first roll of his first combat of his first game. Never managed to reconnect for the duration of the combat...because he had spirit of 6 and only 1 add of reality and he didn't want to spend a possibility on it.

So we learned the lesson that was mentioned by Hobbes above, don't skimp on the Reality skill and/or Spirit.

There are no dump stats. Everything is important.

Even if he did want to spend a Possibility on the Reality roll, he wouldn't have been able to. No spending Possibilities while disconnected.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:09 pm

Kuildeous wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:When I tried it, we had a badass survivor Tharkold survivor type disconnect in the Living Land on his first roll of his first combat of his first game. Never managed to reconnect for the duration of the combat...because he had spirit of 6 and only 1 add of reality and he didn't want to spend a possibility on it.

There are no dump stats. Everything is important.

Even if he did want to spend a Possibility on the Reality roll, he wouldn't have been able to. No spending Possibilities while disconnected.

No dump stats is what I like about the game. Or one of the things at least.

And I had forgotten about the "no possiblities while disconnected rule"

lurkingowl

Postby lurkingowl » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:15 pm

I wonder if Possibilities from the Storyteller Perk can be spent on your behalf to re-connect? The "including Ords" phrase seems to imply that people who can't normally use Possibilities can still spend these.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:05 pm

What was really fun running the Free RPG day adventure was when one of the Core Earthers disconnected while using full auto with an M14 and failed to reconnect several times. He had to pick up a spear and fight with it and did ok until he reconnected with a Willpower card and finally picked up an M14 and opened up full auto again to finish the bad guys off. It was tense and fun, and I love that disconnecting is a big deal now.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:53 pm

Pg 179 says we can't use Hero or Drama cards to reconnect. It does NOT say we can't use Willpower, Action, or Second Chance cards, so they are fair game right?

earlking

Postby earlking » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:08 pm

Zackzenobi wrote:Pg 179 says we can't use Hero or Drama cards to reconnect. It does NOT say we can't use Willpower, Action, or Second Chance cards, so they are fair game right?

That's the way I ruled it.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”