Reconnection is HARD

Atama

Re: Reconnection is HARD

Postby Atama » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:37 pm

Kanaris wrote:
Zackzenobi wrote:
Kanaris wrote:Law school nerds known this rule as "Expressio unius est exclusio alterius" :roll:

Can you break that down for those of us with bachelor's degrees? When I looked it up, I thought it meant NO cards could be used? If that was the intent, why not say ' No Possibilities or Cards could be used"?

The way I remember the principle, it's that if a rule (usually a clause in a contract or a section of a statute) includes within its scope some examples of one or more kind of thing (in this case Hero & Drama Cards), but not others of that kind (Second Chance, Willpower, Action etc), then you assume the rule (no cards playable during disconnection) is not intended to cover those of that kind (being Drama Cards) it did not mention. The principle (when it applies) applies for exactly the reason that utsukushi said (which is why it came to mind in the first place).

It's the source of the phrase, "the exception that proves the rule". Like when a sign says, "No parking between 5AM-1PM", it implies that parking is allowed all other times.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:46 pm

Here's the scoop on Storyteller.

The wording will get nudged so that it's "spending" the Possibilities, not just granting them.

So yes, a Storyteller CAN spend a Possibility for that disconnected Storm Knight. :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

lurkingowl

Postby lurkingowl » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:05 pm

Sweet. That'll really help storyteller feel cool.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:57 pm

lurkingowl wrote:Sweet. That'll really help storyteller feel cool.

Agree, this is what Torg is all about, game mechanics reinforcing the narrative you want.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

dev/null

Postby dev/null » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:06 pm

While I see that there is already an answer that should suffice here from TH, my curiosity remains.

Above, I am acknowledging the current state is that you cannot, but I recall something, either in earlier discussions, or a preview, that indicated Drama cards, specifically, were to be allowed while disconnected, specifically for the attempts to reconnect, making them slightly more awesome than Hero cards.

Was this a thing that was ever mentioned, or am I completely losing it?

dev/null

Postby dev/null » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:23 pm

And on the topic in general, while you may need to get something like an 18-20 result in order to reconnect, don't forget that your chances are rarely, if ever going to be as low as 5%. 10% of the time, you explode, so for an 18, you're at 15% before rerolls, and after, I just don't feel like mathing. Pretty sure it's easily 20%+.

Rerolls are your friend, and you're always gonna be skilled so, you get those 20s, even if 20 usually puts you at enough.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:31 pm

dev/null wrote:While I see that there is already an answer that should suffice here from TH, my curiosity remains.

Above, I am acknowledging the current state is that you cannot, but I recall something, either in earlier discussions, or a preview, that indicated Drama cards, specifically, were to be allowed while disconnected, specifically for the attempts to reconnect, making them slightly more awesome than Hero cards.

Was this a thing that was ever mentioned, or am I completely losing it?

No, you're not losing it. :-) At one point this was true. I can't remember when it exactly changed though.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:32 pm

dev/null wrote:And on the topic in general, while you may need to get something like an 18-20 result in order to reconnect, don't forget that your chances are rarely, if ever going to be as low as 5%. 10% of the time, you explode, so for an 18, you're at 15% before rerolls, and after, I just don't feel like mathing. Pretty sure it's easily 20%+.

Rerolls are your friend, and you're always gonna be skilled so, you get those 20s, even if 20 usually puts you at enough.

Almost always skilled. Theoretically you can have zero adds in reality, and then have to do this. It'd be exceeeeeedingly rare though.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

dev/null

Postby dev/null » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:35 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
dev/null wrote:And on the topic in general, while you may need to get something like an 18-20 result in order to reconnect, don't forget that your chances are rarely, if ever going to be as low as 5%. 10% of the time, you explode, so for an 18, you're at 15% before rerolls, and after, I just don't feel like mathing. Pretty sure it's easily 20%+.

Almost always skilled. Theoretically you can have zero adds in reality, and then have to do this. It'd be exceeeeeedingly rare though.

This would require someone sapping you of adds, though, correct? Barring that (as stated) exceeeeeeeedingly rare circumstance, you will be skilled. Considering that you need to have adds in Reality to be a Storm Knight, not having them would likely have you not being one for much longer. Especially if the reasons for losing them are along the lines I suspect they are.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:47 pm

All you need to be reality-rated is to have the reality skill. Doesn't specify that you have to have at least one add.

Once a Stormer, always a Stormer.

That said, a Stormer with no reality adds is at a significant disadvantage to surviving long. :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”