Reconnection is HARD

User avatar
TiaMaster
Posts: 282
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:45 pm

Re: Reconnection is HARD

Postby TiaMaster » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:52 pm

You guys just gave me a new house rule when it comes to being able to use Drama cards on the reconnect.

People have expressed distress on the fact that Hero and Drama cards are the exact same now, as opposed to the 'special-ness' of Drama in oTorg.
SO i need something to make them special again, and have been playing around with stuff like "if this is in your hand at the end of an Act, then you gain X."

User avatar
dev/null
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:34 pm

Re: Reconnection is HARD

Postby dev/null » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:20 pm

TorgHacker wrote:All you need to be reality-rated is to have the reality skill. Doesn't specify that you have to have at least one add.

Once a Stormer, always a Stormer.

That said, a Stormer with no reality adds is at a significant disadvantage to surviving long. :-)


Initially speaking, though, you can't have the skill without first putting an add in it? But losing those adds doesn't remove the skill. So while this is possibly off topic, but potentially still absolutely relevant to attempts to reconnect:

You are reality-rated, having the reality skill, however, you have 0 adds in it. Do you still explode on 20 while reconnecting? You're skilled in reality, so presumed answer is yes, but am now curious.

utsukushi
Posts: 963
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Reconnection is HARD

Postby utsukushi » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:40 pm

dev/null wrote:And on the topic in general, while you may need to get something like an 18-20 result in order to reconnect, don't forget that your chances are rarely, if ever going to be as low as 5%. 10% of the time, you explode, so for an 18, you're at 15% before rerolls, and after, I just don't feel like mathing. Pretty sure it's easily 20%+.

It would be a little less than 20%. I'm not doing the math either, but re-rolling on a 20 doesn't change your odds of having rolled 18+, because you already did. So you're at 15%, plus, if you roll a 10, you then need at least an 8, so it's like, 65% of that 5%. So it's... 18.25%.

Fine. Apparently I did the math, but it was an accident.

User avatar
dev/null
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:34 pm

Re: Reconnection is HARD

Postby dev/null » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:48 pm

utsukushi wrote:
dev/null wrote:And on the topic in general, while you may need to get something like an 18-20 result in order to reconnect, don't forget that your chances are rarely, if ever going to be as low as 5%. 10% of the time, you explode, so for an 18, you're at 15% before rerolls, and after, I just don't feel like mathing. Pretty sure it's easily 20%+.

It would be a little less than 20%. I'm not doing the math either, but re-rolling on a 20 doesn't change your odds of having rolled 18+, because you already did. So you're at 15%, plus, if you roll a 10, you then need at least an 8, so it's like, 65% of that 5%. So it's... 18.25%.

Fine. Apparently I did the math, but it was an accident.


But just imagine the unlikely scenario where you get to a 60 on reconnecting, and how Glorious that might be. Reality tried to beat you down, and you rose up, stuck out your thumb and said, "Not today, Reality! Not today! You are mine, and I shall have you for myself!" And all in audience were awed with the Gloriousness of your existence, and assertions that you are in fact real. You gain a possibility and a card for your trouble. Congratulations.

User avatar
TorgHacker
Posts: 4901
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: Reconnection is HARD

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:20 pm

dev/null wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:All you need to be reality-rated is to have the reality skill. Doesn't specify that you have to have at least one add.

Once a Stormer, always a Stormer.

That said, a Stormer with no reality adds is at a significant disadvantage to surviving long. :-)


Initially speaking, though, you can't have the skill without first putting an add in it? But losing those adds doesn't remove the skill. So while this is possibly off topic, but potentially still absolutely relevant to attempts to reconnect:

You are reality-rated, having the reality skill, however, you have 0 adds in it. Do you still explode on 20 while reconnecting? You're skilled in reality, so presumed answer is yes, but am now curious.


No.

Actually now that I look at it more precisely, it's worse than I thought. :o

Page 77 under Unskilled. The restriction is you must have at least one add. Which means if you have reality +0, you are unskilled. You can't use reality unskilled at all. So no soaking, but you can still spend Possibilities.

You're still a Storm Knight but you're severely hampered. Better buy that skill up quick.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

User avatar
TorgHacker
Posts: 4901
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: Reconnection is HARD

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:21 pm

I'm double checking with Darrell if we want to still keep it that way though.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

User avatar
dev/null
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:34 pm

Re: Reconnection is HARD

Postby dev/null » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:28 pm

Are the potential changes that Reality can be used unskilled (seems unlikely) and that you are not considered unskilled if you have had adds in a skill, even if they've been lost? (more likely to make sense)

Or are there other variations on this that I haven't come up with in the brief moments I've spent contemplating the situation?

User avatar
TorgHacker
Posts: 4901
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: Reconnection is HARD

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:33 pm

dev/null wrote:Are the potential changes that Reality can be used unskilled (seems unlikely) and that you are not considered unskilled if you have had adds in a skill, even if they've been lost? (more likely to make sense)

Or are there other variations on this that I haven't come up with in the brief moments I've spent contemplating the situation?


I suspect we won't change anything TBH. It's such an edge case it's not really worth worrying about. We're in double overtime as far as edits go, and this isn't really broken. Just a bit odd.

Edit: Darrell has spoken. No changes, and yes, it is how it is.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

User avatar
dev/null
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:34 pm

Re: Reconnection is HARD

Postby dev/null » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:51 pm

Is there more than one way to skin the Reality adds cat? I can only think of one at the moment, but think there might be others that are less obvious but involve evil people.

utsukushi
Posts: 963
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Reconnection is HARD

Postby utsukushi » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:54 pm

But you generally do have the option of Transforming instead of losing a Reality add. So if you're not too hung up on, you know, who you were born as and the entire life you've lived -- or rather, from the average player's perspective, just don't mind changing out a couple Perks and possibly a Skill or two -- you don't ever have to be in that position, right?


Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests