Large Vehicles

bchoinski

Large Vehicles

Postby bchoinski » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:33 pm

The damage rules as given seem ok for "normal" sized things like cars and trucks, but how should it be done with larger vehicles? For example, say the heroes are involved in something like a ship-to-ship battle in Asyle (sailing ships), or with something like a train?

I understand the cinematic nature, but someone firing a bow at a ship (or a pistol or rifle) seems like there should be some "threshold or wounds" or partitioning to allow for the "death/defeat" of one part while the others are active.

Spatula

Re: Large Vehicles

Postby Spatula » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:01 am

I feel like in oTorg there was a line that if weapon A was too piddly to hurt target B, don't bother, using the example of a handgun vs. a tank. Or I could be misremembering?

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:47 pm

Spatula wrote:I feel like in oTorg there was a line that if weapon A was too piddly to hurt target B, don't bother, using the example of a handgun vs. a tank. Or I could be misremembering?

I don't remember specifically a rule like that, but I wouldn't discount it either.

In any case, this is one of those situations where the GM is able to rule that some actions are simply impossible. Just as it's impossible for a normal human to leap 50 meters, it's impossible for a simple handgun to penetrate tank armor.

That's not to say that a Storm Knight couldn't come up with something clever like finding a chink in the armor and shooting the driver anyway. But mostly the GM just needs to know when to rule that such things are impossible even in the world of Possibilities and suggest other means to defeat the encounter.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Atama

Postby Atama » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:11 pm

Billy stop punching the tank. It's not working.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

InertiaKitty

Postby InertiaKitty » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:20 pm

Bah. The tank has crap maneuverability and is Large size. The target is 5. One of these Good or Outstanding hits, I will open-end my bonus dice enough to get through its toughness.

I just need time.
"Whaddaya mean 'Twinkies are even a contradiction in Core Earth'?!?!?"

bchoinski

Postby bchoinski » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:20 pm

Presumably, if an weapon with no bonus dice cannot inflict damage or shock (>5 below armor, or basically 1/10th the penetration or less than what is needed), then perhaps it cannot damage it unless the GM allows or the player can make a good case for his hit. I would in addition limit any damage to 1 wound and 2 shock, even if the player can justify it.

This only applies to non-living targets like trucks or tanks. Living creatures may always have some weak spot that can be struck (eyeball, shot up the nostril into the brain, etc.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”