The Pulp Power Thread

Farast

The Pulp Power Thread

Postby Farast » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:13 am

A thread for questions and thoughts about Pulp Powers.

1) Force Field - The power says, "Each time the hero suffers a Wound, the field expends a charge to block the wound and 2 Shock.", if a hero is hit for 2 wounds can he use two charges to negate both or is it a once per attack? I feel that it is much more balanced if it is the second since it makes the Doesn't work if Wounded limitation much less reliable.

2) Electro-Ray - If you have Rapid Fire and Small Blast Radius can you switch between those two options? I assume you can't use both at the same time.

3) Stacking of limitations - I am worried about the stacking of limitations. It seems very likely that once a PC has taken one power with certain limitations they will be very tempted to take more powers with the same limitation. I think it might be a good idea to encourage/force players to choose different limitations for each power.

4) I really wish that pulp powers just required 1 major or 2 minor limitations to use without any benefits. Compare Super Attribute to the Victoria Gloriana medal. Even with no limitations Super Attribute is straight up better since it stacks with bonuses and the medal doesn't. In addition the medal essentially includes both the gadget limitation and to some extent the costume limitation (it has to be worn to work). These would have been much more balanced if Super Attribute required you to take two minor limitations or one major just to work.

InertiaKitty

Re: The Pulp Power Thread

Postby InertiaKitty » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:46 am

Farast wrote:2) Electro-Ray - If you have Rapid Fire and Small Blast Radius can you switch between those two options? I assume you can't use both at the same time.

There's nothing that says you can't, to my knowledge. It'd be like having a semi-auto or burst-capable firearm loaded with explosive rounds (or a G-10 Thumpgun!)

Farast wrote:3) Stacking of limitations - I am worried about the stacking of limitations. It seems very likely that once a PC has taken one power with certain limitations they will be very tempted to take more powers with the same limitation. I think it might be a good idea to encourage/force players to choose different limitations for each power.

I understand this for game balance and minimizing cheese-weaselage, but what about themes? What if you have a kryptonite that kills all your powers? What if you're a mad scientist and all your powers come from gadgets? I think this would take away way too many cool character options.

Farast wrote:4) I really wish that pulp powers just required 1 major or 2 minor limitations to use without any benefits. Compare Super Attribute to the Victoria Gloriana medal. Even with no limitations Super Attribute is straight up better since it stacks with bonuses and the medal doesn't. In addition the medal essentially includes both the gadget limitation and to some extent the costume limitation (it has to be worn to work). These would have been much more balanced if Super Attribute required you to take two minor limitations or one major just to work.

Super Attribute IS better on the face of it. But if you have the medal, you don't have to pay more to raise the attribute in the future like you do with Super Attribute. There's a touch of balance. Also, over-the-top is the POINT of the Nile Empire, and not-so-much the point of Orrorsh. So (again) thematically, the disparity between the two makes sense to me.

Not that I advocate devils or anything.
"Whaddaya mean 'Twinkies are even a contradiction in Core Earth'?!?!?"

Hobbes

Postby Hobbes » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:45 am

InertiaKitty wrote:Super Attribute IS better on the face of it. But if you have the medal, you don't have to pay more to raise the attribute in the future like you do with Super Attribute. There's a touch of balance. Also, over-the-top is the POINT of the Nile Empire, and not-so-much the point of Orrorsh. So (again) thematically, the disparity between the two makes sense to me.

AFB, do the Medals have any World Law Dependencies? Given the middling Axioms the Medals wouldn't cause a disconnect as often as Pulp Powers. Sorry can't recall off the top of my head.

InertiaKitty

Postby InertiaKitty » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:56 am

The Medals Perk is marked with a star, so it's a contradiction everywhere but Orrorsh.
"Whaddaya mean 'Twinkies are even a contradiction in Core Earth'?!?!?"

Farast

Postby Farast » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:34 pm

InertiaKitty wrote:
Farast wrote:4) I really wish that pulp powers just required 1 major or 2 minor limitations to use without any benefits. Compare Super Attribute to the Victoria Gloriana medal. Even with no limitations Super Attribute is straight up better since it stacks with bonuses and the medal doesn't. In addition the medal essentially includes both the gadget limitation and to some extent the costume limitation (it has to be worn to work). These would have been much more balanced if Super Attribute required you to take two minor limitations or one major just to work.

Super Attribute IS better on the face of it. But if you have the medal, you don't have to pay more to raise the attribute in the future like you do with Super Attribute. There's a touch of balance. Also, over-the-top is the POINT of the Nile Empire, and not-so-much the point of Orrorsh. So (again) thematically, the disparity between the two makes sense to me.

Advocating for devils huh? Wait till the Cyberpapacy hears about this!

While I agree about you about the themes of the two cosms I would prefer that to play out through character concepts and the laws around each rather than though more or less powerful abilities. It makes life easier for GMs when powers are as balanced as possible.

Anybody have an answer for questions 1?

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:39 pm

Farast wrote:A thread for questions and thoughts about Pulp Powers.

1) Force Field - The power says, "Each time the hero suffers a Wound, the field expends a charge to block the wound and 2 Shock.", if a hero is hit for 2 wounds can he use two charges to negate both or is it a once per attack? I feel that it is much more balanced if it is the second since it makes the Doesn't work if Wounded limitation much less reliable.

I'd say if hit for 2 (or even 3 or more) then the Force Field uses up charges for each wound. It means a big enough hit can short it out in one hit which seems fitting.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:51 pm

Here's the scoop.

1. If you've got the charges, you can absorb additional Wounds.

2. You get the bonus against the targets within the blast. So three targets, +2 to hit, 3 shots. Malfunction on 1-2.

3. You can stack limitations. If the condition applies, they all go down.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Farast

Postby Farast » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:12 pm

TorgHacker wrote:Here's the scoop.

1. If you've got the charges, you can absorb additional Wounds.

2. You get the bonus against the targets within the blast. So three targets, +2 to hit, 3 shots. Malfunction on 1-2.

3. You can stack limitations. If the condition applies, they all go down.

Thanks.

So there really isn't any way to get around force field except to bring it down though damage.

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:04 am

That's really true of a lot of things, though. Like villains -- you can mostly only bring them down through damage. (Though that's no reason not to give reasoned discourse a try!)

But I think it's important to remember that the Limitations are `examples', and not all meant to work with every Pulp Power. For example, "Only works on men/women" is a fine Major Limitation for an Electro Ray, but I can't imagine the GM that would allow it for Flight, which already only affects the hero. (If you do find such a GM, though, with that and "Only humans", you've got two free Enhancements! And that's probably how far you'll get before they say, "Hey, wait a minute...")

So I think a GM could quite reasonably say that "Doesn't Work If Wounded" doesn't apply to Force Field, on the grounds that it will already be down for an hour before you can get Wounded.

...Although now I totally want to make an Amazon Guardian who takes the Size Enhancement by combining it with, "Only Works on Men." It won't protect her at all, but helps her protect those poor, vulnerable menfolk as long as they stay near her.

OMG, I am SO doing this.

Farast

Postby Farast » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:19 am

utsukushi wrote:...Although now I totally want to make an Amazon Guardian who takes the Size Enhancement by combining it with, "Only Works on Men." It won't protect her at all, but helps her protect those poor, vulnerable menfolk as long as they stay near her.

OMG, I am SO doing this.

That is a really cool character concept! That is a use of force field I could get behind. I think if someone wants to use it in my game I will just rule that it only absorbs 1 wound/2 shock a round. It is still an amazing power then but people can focus fire past it and it can't absorb all of a really big hit.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”