Can't use Possibility to cancel Mishap?

TiaMaster

Can't use Possibility to cancel Mishap?

Postby TiaMaster » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:39 pm

"A roll of 1 always fails, and no Possibilities may
be spent to change it. That means even characters
with the highest skills and attributes aren’t
always successful."

So the highest skilled person ever fails 5% of the time?? I've always played it that spending a possibility "continues" the roll. SUcks if I have to change this.

Kuildeous

Re: Can't use Possibility to cancel Mishap?

Postby Kuildeous » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:50 pm

Keep in mind that a die roll only happens when something stressful happens. It's not like a skilled driver is going to crash while pulling out of the driveway 5% of the time. But when under fire and trying to avoid the multitudes of fruit stands? 5% is not too unlikely. If the task is easy enough that someone could succeed at it without trying, then there is no die roll and no 5% chance of failure.

It's also a more cinematic world. Great feats are possible but so are terrible flukes.

I could see a house rule where if you have as many skill adds as the DN, then you don't need to roll at all. This means that someone with mastery can pull off easy tasks without checking. Since DN 10 is standard, even experts could not achieve that without some risk of failure (unless you're Nile).

It does make Second Chance cards one of the most valuable cards out there.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

TiaMaster

Postby TiaMaster » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:56 pm

If Favored does it cancel the one?

EDIT: NOPE.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:00 pm

Kuildeous wrote:Keep in mind that a die roll only happens when something stressful happens. It's not like a skilled driver is going to crash while pulling out of the driveway 5% of the time. But when under fire and trying to avoid the multitudes of fruit stands? 5% is not too unlikely. If the task is easy enough that someone could succeed at it without trying, then there is no die roll and no 5% chance of failure.

It's also a more cinematic world. Great feats are possible but so are terrible flukes.

Basically this.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:04 pm

As I recall, Second Chance is the only way to overcome a natural 1.

Still, the game is plenty heroic as it is. And there are howls of laughter as a player describes a really awesome feat where he cuts down four minions and then taunts the main villain only to roll that dreaded 1.

One thing I don't do is critical failure. I feel the Setback and villains' call on interaction attacks are painful enough. I treat a Mishap as a basic failure. But a Mishap on a 2, 3, or 4 can be overcome with a Possibility or by being Favored.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

TiaMaster

Postby TiaMaster » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:14 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
Kuildeous wrote:Keep in mind that a die roll only happens when something stressful happens. It's not like a skilled driver is going to crash while pulling out of the driveway 5% of the time. But when under fire and trying to avoid the multitudes of fruit stands? 5% is not too unlikely. If the task is easy enough that someone could succeed at it without trying, then there is no die roll and no 5% chance of failure.

Basically this.

The cinematic world is EXACTLY why you should be able to cancel a failure with a Poss.

Maybe I'll say "Only Drama cards can affect a Mishap". :D

Atama

Postby Atama » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:22 pm

TiaMaster wrote:So the highest skilled person ever fails 5% of the time?? I've always played it that spending a possibility "continues" the roll. SUcks if I have to change this.

I think that 5% chance of failure is better than the alternative, which is a 0% chance of failure. Where would be the drama in that?
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

TiaMaster

Postby TiaMaster » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:33 pm

how the hell does what I said make it 0%? Unless you have more Drama cards than me?

Even if it was possible to reroll on ANY type of possibility, you don't always have them especially now.
Last edited by TiaMaster on Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nyarlathotep101

Postby Nyarlathotep101 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:35 pm

Well, not exacty zero, but zero if the character has any possibilities left. Or cards that act like possibilities. And it seems likely that at any given time, any given character would have one of those things

TiaMaster

Postby TiaMaster » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:43 pm

Nyarlathotep101 wrote:Well, not exacty zero, but zero if the character has any possibilities left. Or cards that act like possibilities. And it seems likely that at any given time, any given character would have one of those things

Oh, no, I am talking just letting Drama Cards do it as an offset for my other Drama card house rule.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”