Day One: Pan-Pacifica, precognition possible?

pkitty

Day One: Pan-Pacifica, precognition possible?

Postby pkitty » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:49 am

In the Day One adventures book, p. 66, it tells the GM to test Ayaka's precognition skill if she's present. But (A) that's only on the Storm Knight version of her character sheet and (B) the adventure says that a fight with the jianghi isn't enough to trigger a Moment of Crisis, much less standing around wondering what a hissing sound is.

Am I missing something or is this just a mistake? Also, is there a place to submit mistakes in books besides the core book? I saw links to spreadsheets for the core book, but nothing else.
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

utsukushi

Re: Day One: Pan-Pacifica, precognition possible?

Postby utsukushi » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:25 pm

I would guess that the mistake is actually in having her Precognition only come with her Transformation. All of her powers are on the Core Earth list, too, and her background blurb, with the "nightmares for weeks" and having gone out looking for a noodle machine that she was seeing in her dreams, clearly suggests that she's precognitive already.

PrinceEarwig

Postby PrinceEarwig » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:08 pm

Also, as the use of Psionic powers do not require the expenditure of possibilities, there is nothing to say that an Ord cannot have Psi.

pkitty

Postby pkitty » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:14 am

PrinceEarwig wrote:Also, as the use of Psionic powers do not require the expenditure of possibilities, there is nothing to say that an Ord cannot have Psi.

Okay, but Ayaka's character sheet explicitly states that she only has the Precognition skill after she becomes a full Storm Knight, so how does the above rule change that?
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:50 am

I'm consulting with Darrell but he was at a con all weekend.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

PrinceEarwig

Postby PrinceEarwig » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:57 pm

She can only activate the skill consciously when she transcends. Until that point she is at the mercy of PLOT!

Wotan

Postby Wotan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:31 pm

pkitty wrote:Okay, but Ayaka's character sheet explicitly states that she only has the Precognition skill after she becomes a full Storm Knight, so how does the above rule change that?

My group should be starting the PP day 1 in the next week or two, so I'd been pondering the same question.

Given that the adventure gives Ayaka the opportunity to make a Precog roll before she's had any opportunity to transcend, I'm going to assume that it's a mistake on her character sheet, & at least let her have the Precog skill as an Ord, if not the Psi powers perk; I'm undecided on that, but am leaning towards letting her have that too, as otherwise she's a one trick pony (quite literally actually, as her only useful combat skill is Trick.)

So far I've come across a few mistakes on the pre-gen character sheets for LL & Ay, so it's not beyond the realms of credibility that this is another oversight.
Plus the uncontrolled visions which her backstory mentions sound like the sort of thing which a character might get with the skill but no powers (although CE Powers, Magic & Miracles only started working after the invasion anyway, IIRC.)
Mostly though, the clincher for me is the fact that the writer wanted Ayaka to have the opportunity to roll Precog at this point (instead of Find.) It only gives her a +1 on her check over using Find, so it's not OP, but it is quite a cool character flavour moment IMHO, & I like those. In this case it gives her player the chance to have some fun with playing the weird (creepy?) school girl. *shrug*
Non-denominational "Devil's Advocate"

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:01 pm

I personally would just give her the terrifying vision anyway. No die roll. Just a crippling nightmare that sets the mood. It's like the adage of don't roll dice if you know what you want to happen.

I think we should strive to make the vision happen, and the die roll is unnecessary. It's a taste of things to come.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Wotan

Postby Wotan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:20 am

Kuildeous wrote:I personally would just give her the terrifying vision anyway. No die roll. Just a crippling nightmare that sets the mood. It's like the adage of don't roll dice if you know what you want to happen.

I think we should strive to make the vision happen, and the die roll is unnecessary. It's a taste of things to come.

I like your thinking!
So I'm thinking that she'll have the vision either way, but the roll's about how well she handles & processes it. If she fails it's momentarily overwhelming & she misses the looming danger, but if she succeeds she has enough control over her vision that her gaze is drawn to the threat in time.
We still get the vision, which is a potentially cool character defining moment, but she gets to use her (slightly better, but also entirely appropriate) Precog skill instead of making the (default) Find roll.
Non-denominational "Devil's Advocate"

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:52 pm

Give Ayaka one add in precognition on her Ord side.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”