Grant Possibility Contradiction

Devcon

Grant Possibility Contradiction

Postby Devcon » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:06 pm

Looking closely at the Perks I noticed Grant Possibility from the Reality Perks causes a contradiction when used outside of Core Earth.

Since there's no die roll involved with this perk, I'm wondering how to adjucate that. Do I simply do like a Surge result and ask the player to roll a d20 and have her disconnect if she rolls a 1? Or was there an actual play mechanic i somehow glossed over?

ZorValachan

Re: Grant Possibility Contradiction

Postby ZorValachan » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:17 pm

Are you using an older pdf? Or the book?. I ask because the pdf i have here doesnt mention causing contradiction.
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

Devcon

Postby Devcon » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:22 pm

The book as well as the printable Cosm Cards.

Also, even in the old PDF the mention was there: look closely at the name if the perk, the 'causes contradiction' star is right next to the perk's name

Wotan

Postby Wotan » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:32 pm

ZorValachan wrote:Are you using an older pdf? Or the book?. I ask because the pdf i have here doesnt mention causing contradiction.

The Prereq line starts with a star, instead of a round bullet-point, indicating that the power is dependent on its home Cosm's World Laws.

However, I'd treat Grant Possibility the same as other contradictory actions which don't inherently require a dice roll, i.e. the effect works without any roll just to check for a contradiction; all of these low level contradictions are covered by the check that's made when the Surge Disadvantage comes up on the Drama Deck's Conflict line.
Non-denominational "Devil's Advocate"

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:35 pm

Devcon wrote:The book as well as the printable Cosm Cards.

Also, even in the old PDF the mention was there: look closely at the name if the perk, the 'causes contradiction' star is right next to the perk's name

Sorry, was looking for a blurb, not the star.
I'd ignore it. If it is from another reality and requires a test, i consider it a contradiction. I take it at one time a test had to be made to give the Pos and it was changed.

Cyberware implants doesn't have it, but Occultech implants does, so i just take it as it wasnt fixed IMO.

What Wotan said, its part of the surge conflict line
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

pkitty

Postby pkitty » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:50 pm

As I understand it, if something causes a contradiction and there's no roll already involved, you just ask the player to roll a d20. On a 1 (or 1-4), he disconnects.
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

Wotan

Postby Wotan » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:06 pm

pkitty wrote:As I understand it, if something causes a contradiction and there's no roll already involved, you just ask the player to roll a d20. On a 1 (or 1-4), he disconnects.

That was certainly true in OTorg, but I don't recall any such rule in TorgE & am fairly certain I recall a thread on here (possibly about whether armour creates contradictions?) in which Torghacker clarified the intention that contradictions which don't involve dice rolls are covered by Surges.
Non-denominational "Devil's Advocate"

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:12 pm

It's not so much that you need to worry about disconnecting when using Grant Possibility. As has been mentioned, Surges handle that.

It's that you can't use that Perk if you're disconnected.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Devcon

Postby Devcon » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:37 pm

Oh that makes sense.

Thanks!

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”