Perk Interactions

TorgHacker

Re: Perk Interactions

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:38 pm

Wotan wrote:
But, given the limited use & after-effects, IMHO this clarification does make Sata Eater feel like quite a weak perk. Sure, I can see circumstances where it might be useful, but not to the extent that I'd pick it over other Perk options. Even if i was building an Edeinos "Berserker".

Am I being incredibly dense & missing obvious uses?

As always, YMMV. But IMO, being immune to Shock is a pretty big deal, and you do get to choose when you activate Sata Eater. Are you up against things you _really_ want to have that BD for? Then you go to your Relentless Perk.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Wotan

Postby Wotan » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:27 pm

Thanks, I guess what I'm myopically failing to see is when immunity to shock is going to be so useful as to be worth a perk which only works once per Act.

My experience might be atypical, but so far in my game (7 Acts worth now) the PCs have completely avoided KOs by smart (& co-operative) use of cards & miracles, so I might be vastly underestimating the value of Shock Immunity. The only time anyone's come close is through the use of abilities which cost shock to activate.

The biggest potential source of Shock has been from attack damage but that usually means wounds too. As Sata Eater doesn't help with wounds, characters are still going to need to Soak & any success is going to stop all Shock damage anyway.

I'm not saying it's completely useless; if I had the Perk & was down to my last couple of Shock without any other way of recovering any, it would be a handy trick to pull out of the bag, but even then the once per Act limit would make me hesitate to consider whether I really needed to use it now or should hold off til later in the Act.
Glitchfinder General

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:12 pm

Personally I'd usually keep this for the Dramatic scene. We just don't want you spamming it EVERY scene.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:38 am

Wotan wrote:My experience might be atypical, but so far in my game (7 Acts worth now) the PCs have completely avoided KOs by smart (& co-operative) use of cards & miracles, so I might be vastly underestimating the value of Shock Immunity. The only time anyone's come close is through the use of abilities which cost shock to activate.

My experience has been similar. I've taken to rolling the villains individually. That helps spread the Shock around. It's been enough that my group has sometimes had to play that Second Wind card, and I even knocked someone out once.

While it's beautiful that TorgE retained the convenience of the many-on-one rules, it does limit the damage. After all, if you have four guys attack with one die roll, then beating their Toughness results in only 2 shock. If each villain attacks, then maybe two of them will hit for 4 shock. The many-on-one table is great for making the players feel like big damn heroes, but I feel there are moments where it is useful and moments where it's less useful.

I split up my attacks too. The cyberpriest with the armor of God? I throw everything at him; he can soak it if it does get through. The unarmored researcher with a 7 Strength? I roll many on one and secretly hope I don't make him explode with wounds.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Atama

Postby Atama » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:49 am

Having Sata Eater and Relentless means you can voluntarily take on Shock to do extra BD until you’re close to KO, then make yourself immune to further Shock. That’s a big security blanket to me. Hopefully you’ve done enough damage with Relentless that the fight is over in less than 6 rounds after eating the flower. Seems like a good strategy.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:27 am

Atama wrote:Having Sata Eater and Relentless means you can voluntarily take on Shock to do extra BD until you’re close to KO, then make yourself immune to further Shock. That’s a big security blanket to me. Hopefully you’ve done enough damage with Relentless that the fight is over in less than 6 rounds after eating the flower. Seems like a good strategy.

I completely agree with this. My player with the barbarian is gonna be jealous. He always gets to 1-2 shock because of relentless.
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”