Interraction vs godlike stealth

Wotan

Re: Interraction vs godlike stealth

Postby Wotan » Fri May 25, 2018 11:40 am

TorgHacker wrote:Unless otherwise stated you can’t take a Perk more than once. You HAVE to take Limitations (well...for now).

With utmost respect, as ZorValachan says, the RAW seem to contradict this.
Core P99 wrote:Pulp Power Perks can be made more effective by taking any of the Enhancements listed with that power. An Enhancement may be taken by spending a Perk, a Major Limitation, or two Minor Limitations.

This doesn't even seem to be one of those cases where it's a matter of interpreting the RAI incorrectly. It's hard to see what else that second sentence could mean. This might be worth FAQing, if your post reflects the way you guys intend this to work. :)
Glitchfinder General

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Fri May 25, 2018 12:18 pm

TorgHacker wrote:Unless otherwise stated you can’t take a Perk more than once. You HAVE to take Limitations (well...for now).

Also, Super Attribute and Super Skill both say,
..so Super Attribute may only be taken once (not once per Attribute). Choose wisely!

and
Like Super Attribute, the champion may only take this Perk once -- she cannot have more than one Super Skill.

I think Deanna meant that "You HAVE to take Limitations" to achieve those totals, not that Limitations are compulsory for all Pulp Powers. Otherwise, yeah, Limitations are pretty clearly optional if you don't want Enhancements. But, um, seriously? <grin>

Atama wrote:Also, it’s not that Mastery “does nothing” for a starting character. You just can’t take it. You need 5 adds to be eligible for it and you can’t start with more than 3 in one skill.

And as a purely theoretical note, I do think that Super Skill would let you take Mastery. A starting character can put 3 adds in a skill, then take Super Skill, which has been established not as a constant bonus, but rather as outright adding to your Skill (including changing it for future advancement purposes - which I remember clearly, of course, because I disagreed. <grin>) So even without an Enhancement, that means they now have 5 adds in the skill, and qualify for Mastery. Since we were talking about a starting character who had picked Super Skill and Mastery, that seemed feasible, just...silly, because the Mastery still won't actually do anything for a while. And, yeah, really he has to be taking Super Attribute to have the 15 Dex.

TorgHacker wrote:Contests are on page 121.

Thank you! I was looking for "opposed test", since that's what they're called everywhere else... man, we're *sooo much* more pedantic about terminology than you guys were. <grin>

So that means that every time this character uses Stealth, the opponents basically get a free Find roll, right? And every time one of them decides to actively use Find on their turn, he has to re-roll Stealth?

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri May 25, 2018 12:41 pm

ZorValachan wrote:

Umm, i dont see where the core rules state that limitations must be taken. only that if you want an enhancement, 1 major or 2 minor limitations or even by spending another perk. Not that limitations are needed for non-enhanced pulp powers... Did i completely miss something somewhere? It even seems you can get the +4 super skill, or +2 attribute with 2 perks each and avoid limitations altogether as written on pg 99.

<checks>

Ah dammit. :oops:

Disregard. I just double checked the email convo that Darrell and I had last summer about this and I now realize I'd misinterpreted what he said, along with putting a certain Perk coming in the Nile Empire book that I thought was a replacement for that.

Carry on. :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri May 25, 2018 12:46 pm

utsukushi wrote:And as a purely theoretical note, I do think that Super Skill would let you take Mastery. A starting character can put 3 adds in a skill, then take Super Skill, which has been established not as a constant bonus, but rather as outright adding to your Skill (including changing it for future advancement purposes - which I remember clearly, of course, because I disagreed. <grin>) So even without an Enhancement, that means they now have 5 adds in the skill, and qualify for Mastery. Since we were talking about a starting character who had picked Super Skill and Mastery, that seemed feasible, just...silly, because the Mastery still won't actually do anything for a while. And, yeah, really he has to be taking Super Attribute to have the 15 Dex.

You can still take Mastery even if you have Super Skill.

TorgHacker wrote:Contests are on page 121.

Thank you! I was looking for "opposed test", since that's what they're called everywhere else... man, we're *sooo much* more pedantic about terminology than you guys were. <grin>

So that means that every time this character uses Stealth, the opponents basically get a free Find roll, right? And every time one of them decides to actively use Find on their turn, he has to re-roll Stealth?

Yup, they're contests. They have to be because you need to have an option to spend a Possibility on both sides, if that's ... uh... possible.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Fri May 25, 2018 1:03 pm

TorgHacker wrote:<checks>

Pssst!

I think Deanna meant that "You HAVE to take Limitations" to achieve those totals, not that Limitations are compulsory for all Pulp Powers.

That's what you meant, right? All along? <nudge> You just thought it would be clearer in context. I do that all the time.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri May 25, 2018 1:45 pm

utsukushi wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:<checks>

Pssst!

I think Deanna meant that "You HAVE to take Limitations" to achieve those totals, not that Limitations are compulsory for all Pulp Powers.

That's what you meant, right? All along? <nudge> You just thought it would be clearer in context. I do that all the time.

<snicker>

No. :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”