Failed multi targeting test

Kuildeous

Re: Failed multi targeting test

Postby Kuildeous » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:24 pm

One of us is doing wounds to mobs incorrectly. It might actually be me.

For the past year, I've been ruling that if the player beats the mob's toughness by 5, then all targeted mob members take the wound. So, yeah, if you fire that AK-47 at 5 shocktroopers and hit them all, then you kill them all. They all take 1 Wnd, 2 Shock.

But utsukushi is making me reconsider that. After reading her message, I'm wondering if the earlier example should've been that one goon dies but the mob takes 2 Shock.

I will need to evaluate this closer. My hordes and hordes of minions get mowed down pretty easily using my system, but I always felt they got mowed down too easily.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:06 am

Read the extended example on p128.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:45 am

The inset on Mobs says "Wounds and other states are still tracked normally, but track Shock for the entire mob rather than individuals."

I'm actually not sure how that works, then, if... let's say a Sniper fires their rifle just once at a Mob, and the Bonus Die explodes a couple times and they beat the Toughness by 22. So that's 4 Wounds, 8 Shock.

If you were tracking targets individually, you'd describe the one enemy, like, really dying, and how her next three reincarnations just explode because she's so dead, but ultimately you'd be left bemoaning such a great damage roll against a mere mook.

With the Mob rule, I think you kill one with 4 Wounds (because Wounds are tracked normally, so one shot, alas, still stacks all those Wounds into one target), and then still do 8 Shock, potentially removing one more. But the last line under Mobs, "When Wounds eliminate mobs, just remove them without adjusting the Shock at all. Keep it simple," leaves me unsure of that. That kind of sounds like if you're tracking a Mob, scoring Wounds trumps Shock completely - which does make sense, since that's what would happen if you weren't doing the Mob thing. So you're back to one enemy being just super duper dead. Like, if you tried playing Inevitable Return on her, the card would just burst into flames because no.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:32 am

With mobs, you could always just say that each wound kills one mob outright and keep track of the shock for additional mobs later; i.e. once the shock is over their toughness you kill another mob.
If you score more wounds that mobs (or bullets fired) you just ignore.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

RamblingScribe

Postby RamblingScribe » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:00 am

I haven't been using the mobile rules, but in a similar situation if my sniper player got four wounds on a mob, I would say that as he was aiming, he noticed two of the mooks happened to line up, and he managed to take them both out with one round.

But I'm one of five people who really liked "Quigley Down Under."

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:55 am

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:Read the extended example on p128.

Thanks for that reminder. It's always good to review these materials.

So reading Maru targeting three gospog shows that I've been mostly doing it correctly. The thing I did differently from the example was that I always had to player roll the bonus dice once and apply it to everything in the mob. The example shows that the dice are rolled separately for each combatant. Of course, that's a moot point if your damage is naturally 5 over their toughness, but it does show how the Church Police and edeinos make tougher mobs than Nile shocktroopers.

But in the cases where the damage is not enough to cause a wound, I've been keeping a shock pool for each mob. If a mob member gets taken out with a wound, I would not add more shock to the mob. This jives with Thomas' example on that page.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:27 pm

If you have a sniper who targets a Mob that currently has 6 Shock, and a Shock limit of 8 would resolve a 3 Wound, 6 Shock hit by:

Take out one mob member due to 3 Wounds.

Take out another mob member from hitting the Shock limit.

The mob now has 4 Shock.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”