Deliberate Mishaps?

johntfs

Deliberate Mishaps?

Postby johntfs » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:30 pm

Is it possible for a character to deliberately create a Mishap, especially when using magic. One thing that has occurred to my players is that deliberately creating magical Mishaps would be an excellent way to lure technodemons into ambushes because "Papa needs some new boots."

Wotan

Re: Deliberate Mishaps?

Postby Wotan » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:07 am

As a one off, or at most as an occasional tactic, to get the drop on a plot relevant technodemon, I think I'd allow it.

But if my PCs tried to regularly use it as a way of harvesting Occultech I'd have it bite them in the arse pretty darn quickly. Sure a, properly prepared, group of SKs are a match for a single Technodemon, but if even a small pack is attracted by their magical beacon/bait then things could go south real quick! :twisted:
Glitchfinder General

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:34 am

... agreed. Using magic in Tharkold is like sending a ping out to all technodemons near by but I'm sure the Darkness Device would know about it and catch on very quickly once magic mishaps are being used a lot in an area.

Also, just because the Pc's thought of it, doesn't mean someelse hasn't at another time..

NPC Shop keeper: "So this is the third time you've come to me with some great loot, you don't mind me asking; but you haven't been doing a 'Boris'?"

PCs: "A Boris?"

NPC: "Yeah, luring Demons with magic?"

PCs: "Hell yeah! We've got some kickass loot doing that. Why is it called a Boris?"

NPC: "Well, about 50 years ago on Tharkold a guy named Boris and his crew tried that. The Demons cottoned on quite quickly and turned the tables on him. After his last highjacking, they followed him back to the town he was working out of. They killed him and every man, woman and child in terrible ways. They left him hanging by his own entrails. There was a message written in the blood of children as a warning. They peiced the rest together from records and dairies."

PCs: "What was the message?"

NPC: "'Don't'. Now take your stuff and leave. Your not welcome here."
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:38 am

That's awesome. :lol:
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

johntfs

Postby johntfs » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:29 pm

One of my players has a character who was a former Ugandan child soldier for Joseph Kony's Lord's Resistance Army. The slaughter of every man, woman and child in a village was basically a Tuesday for him. My group is overall probably better described as Stormers working against the High Lords. They're more Storm Terrorists than Storm Knights. They'll save people, but they're more interested in hurting the enemy than helping the people.

That all said, are deliberate magic Mishaps automatic, or would there be a skill roll needed to "mess up" deliberately?

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:09 pm

I assume learning spells that require precise hand and finger movement takes time to learn/unlearn.

I would say it should be automatic... but if failing becomes a habit, maybe you should increase their mishap range by 1 when they aren't trying to fail (because it's now a habit). Not for long mind you, maybe for 5 or 6 spell castings just until they rewrite their muscle memory again. Just tell them that is what will happen. Plus this makes a good GM fait.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:58 pm

I don't know - to me, magic is formed significantly out of intent. If you're making your usual hand gestures and saying the magic words but intending to fail, you're not really casting the spell. I would only allow magical Mishaps when the spell is actually being cast with intent to succeed, and especially with TorgE's rule of only rolling when it's interesting, that means only when it matters, in play, not just casting your spell over and over to get the result you want, whatever that is.

But that, of course, is me. Johnfk, it sounds like you are the GM, and it sounds like you like this plan, so I'd say go for it. And in that view, getting a mishap is just a matter of time, so there's no real reason for you to not just say, "OK, and after five minutes of throwing successful Fireballs against the cliff side, you get a mishap." Like the opposite of Taking 20 in D&D3.5.

Geniuscodemonkey wrote:NPC: "'Don't'. Now take your stuff and leave. You're not welcome here."

Loved that.

Matthew Surridge

Postby Matthew Surridge » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:39 pm

Wouldn't this sort of thing qualify as a Maneuver or Trick? Or at least be allowable or describable as such?
Humankind cannot bear very much reality
— T.S. Eliot, who didn't know the half of it

My Torg Eternity review, part one and part two

johntfs

Postby johntfs » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:03 pm

Matthew Surridge wrote:Wouldn't this sort of thing qualify as a Maneuver or Trick? Or at least be allowable or describable as such?

Not really. While the ultimate point of doing this would be trickery/ambush the actual Mishap is just making a kind of noise. It's once the demons get there (if any are in range) that the Tricks, Maneuvers, Bleeding and Screaming starts.
Last edited by johntfs on Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Plageman

Postby Plageman » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:59 am

I wouldn't allow players to be able to get mishaps automatically. In my view there is a clear difference between voluntarily failing and mishaps. In the first case you want to fail maybe to slow or deny an opponent a success. i.e. your forced to work for the villain and try to win your rescue team some time. In the second case something unexpected and uncontrollable happens. Also it's a game mechanism not something the characters can decide to do.

So what I'd do is to let them fail automatically but ask them to roll a d20. A mishap would happen only if a 1 is rolled. If you feel generous you can always raise the mishap range to 1-2, 1-3 or 1-4 depending on how "good" the description of their "trying to fail" is. Also don't allow the same stunt to be pulled twice for mishaps. Reduce the mishap range each time they reuse it.

Obviously you're the GM here so you're the final judge at your table but I feel that such players comportment is not in line with the spirit of the game. While it could work in another type of genre in the Reality War it only paints them as not only as targets for the High Lords but also for the more mundane authorities. At least the Delphi Council would revoke their status if repeated unethical behavior is reported. They might also get offered to work for Storm Front only to discover that they are even more ruthless than they are.

Storm Terrorists aren't gonna win the war, Storm Knights will. :lol:

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”