Buying off limitations

Sarren

Buying off limitations

Postby Sarren » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:45 pm

I was curious if i had limitaions on my Nile perk, if they could be "bought" off at a later date by spending xp as if he bought the enhancement he received.
For example. Revenant (a pulp hero) has a "magic" jacket that grants him the flight perk but Revenant doesnt beleive he can actually fly, so he uses it to jump long distances (like Superman before he had flight). I envision that as 2 minor limitations (gadget and belief he cant fly). Over the course of his travels, he comes to the realization the jacket was a placebo and he can infact fly without the jacket. He then spends the necessary xp as if he was buying the enhancement he recieved for having the limitations.
Dont know if this situation will be handled in the Nile Empire book or handled elsewhere.

ZorValachan

Re: Buying off limitations

Postby ZorValachan » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:51 pm

Sarren wrote:I was curious if i had limitaions on my Nile perk, if they could be "bought" off at a later date by spending xp as if he bought the enhancement he received.
For example. Revenant (a pulp hero) has a "magic" jacket that grants him the flight perk but Revenant doesnt beleive he can actually fly, so he uses it to jump long distances (like Superman before he had flight). I envision that as 2 minor limitations (gadget and belief he cant fly). Over the course of his travels, he comes to the realization the jacket was a placebo and he can infact fly without the jacket. He then spends the necessary xp as if he was buying the enhancement he recieved for having the limitations.
Dont know if this situation will be handled in the Nile Empire book or handled elsewhere.

I think if he bought it as a perk, as stated in the rules, its a perfect use of the rules and character advancing in both mechanics and game plot.
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

Atama

Postby Atama » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:08 pm

Sounds good to me, I suggest that you should treat enhancements this way...

Get an enhancement to a power by spending a perk, or taking a major limitation, or two minor limitations (this is the rule in the book).

You can remove one major limitation or two minor limitations by spending a perk.

You cannot perform the reverse and “gain a perk” by taking on a major limitation or two minor limitations. This seems way too easy to abuse and is confusing to keep track of.

I think it should be the GM’s call as to whether you can exchange a major limitation for two minors, or vice versa. Or change the details of a limitation. I’d suggest this should be allowed if the limitation(s) cause a problem in the game or the player has a “better idea” that makes sense for the character. If it makes things better go for it. If the player’s just being fickle though, make the player live with it.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:30 pm

Atama wrote:You cannot perform the reverse and “gain a perk” by taking on a major limitation or two minor limitations. This seems way too easy to abuse and is confusing to keep track of.

I could see some reasonable exceptions to this. For example, your super-strength is always +1, but that explosion at the Eternium processing plant put your power into overdrive. Now you have +2 to strength, but it shorts out during the day and is only active at night. I could see adding a limitation to a power that way, but that's something the GM would have to approve. In any case, I think it would be rough being used to using a power all the time and then lose out on it part of the time, but that's the player's call.

I think the OP's description works great. Other supers games have methods where weaknesses can be bought off. This shouldn't be any different.

Things can get weird if someone tries to use a perk to buy off minor limitations from two different powers. I'm not sure how I feel about two powers with only one minor limitation apiece. I guess it'd be okay. Not going to happen in my game any time soon.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Atama

Postby Atama » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:20 pm

Kuildeous wrote: Things can get weird if someone tries to use a perk to buy off minor limitations from two different powers. I'm not sure how I feel about two powers with only one minor limitation apiece. I guess it'd be okay. Not going to happen in my game any time soon.

I never thought about doing that. Or if you have 2 Pulp Powers, and add an enhancement to one of them by adding a single minor limitation to each one. I don’t see what would be wrong with that as long as the specific limitations seem sensible to the GM.

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:16 pm

I wouldn't let Limitations and Enhancements cross between Powers. There's no official limit to the number of Limitations that can be on a power, so someone could take one Power they don't really care about, fill it up with Limitations, and use those to buy Enhancements for all their other powers. "My Electro Ray only works on non-human men during the day and fails if I'm Stymied or Wounded and also doesn't work in either Standard or Dramatic Scenes. So that's six Major Limitations, balancing out Charisma, Control, and Power for Mind Control and Acrobatics, Control, and Speed for Flight. ...Also, my Electro Ray is in a gadget that needs two hands, won't work if I get KO'd, can't be used in Melee, won't work on anyone wearing pink and, of course, can't be used if I'm using another power. So that should cover all the Enhancements for when I buy Super Dexterity and Super Melee Weapons later."

I mean, obviously a GM can just spot the obviousness and say no, but it's probably better that that's just not how Pulp Powers work. And even lesser degrees of this do feel unbalancing to me. I think Enhancements and Limitations need to be contained.

Atama wrote:You cannot perform the reverse and “gain a perk” by taking on a major limitation or two minor limitations. This seems way too easy to abuse and is confusing to keep track of.

It's also pretty clear that the only thing you can gain by taking on Limitations is Enhancements. You already can't, for example, take a power with a Major Limitation, not take an Enhancement, and say that now your power is free.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:10 pm

utsukushi wrote:I wouldn't let Limitations and Enhancements cross between Powers. There's no official limit to the number of Limitations that can be on a power, so someone could take one Power they don't really care about, fill it up with Limitations, and use those to buy Enhancements for all their other powers. "My Electro Ray only works on non-human men during the day and fails if I'm Stymied or Wounded and also doesn't work in either Standard or Dramatic Scenes. So that's six Major Limitations, balancing out Charisma, Control, and Power for Mind Control and Acrobatics, Control, and Speed for Flight. ...Also, my Electro Ray is in a gadget that needs two hands, won't work if I get KO'd, can't be used in Melee, won't work on anyone wearing pink and, of course, can't be used if I'm using another power. So that should cover all the Enhancements for when I buy Super Dexterity and Super Melee Weapons later."

I mean, obviously a GM can just spot the obviousness and say no, but it's probably better that that's just not how Pulp Powers work. And even lesser degrees of this do feel unbalancing to me. I think Enhancements and Limitations need to be contained.

Yep.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:09 pm

One of those times that I'd forgotten we did already address this. :lol:

There is a Perk in the Nile Empire sourcebook that allows you to buy off Limitations.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Atama

Postby Atama » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:49 pm

TorgHacker wrote:There is a Perk in the Nile Empire sourcebook that allows you to buy off Limitations.

Please tell me it’s called Unlimited!

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:07 pm

Er....no.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”